User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2014, 08:21 AM   #1
irishmatt18 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Started off good.

So my little story. Although its a little old now the anniversary just happened last month.

So, I was out riding with my buddies in the Rio Puerco in NM outside of Albuquerque. Normal riding after a few weeks of some rain. We took a loop we normally didn't take and near the halfway point, about as far out as we can et from cars and any cell phone service, I ran ahead and hit two blind jumps. 1st one was GREAT so I hit second one harder and behold, deep wash out. I was on my two stroke. Pinned in 4th gear when I hit it. Was about 30 ft deep, about 60 ft across. Knew it was going to be bad and ditched the bike. Hit the ground and one of two things happen, either my foot planted and folded over handle bar or it touched the spinning rear tire and was kicked out. BAM.. first broken bone, or should I say bones. I snapped that puppy faster than an 18 year old girl losing her virginity at prom... I was with a buddy and his two boys. The youngest went off with me seconds later and he was able to throw his bike away from crushing me and landed between mine and his, but he was ok.

Broke Tib/Fib mid fracture... Closed fracture.

Well, we were an hour and a half ride out from the nearest vehicle and cell service, forget it. I knew about where I was and by chance that area had a water conservation thing going on and they had made a LARGE dirt road back to that area but my buddy though I was talking outta my ass. He finally listened and road out to get his truck, loaded his and one of his sons bike and drove back. They had to carry me about 200 yards and I had to sit in the back seat of his truck and hold my thigh up and rest my foot (still in the boot) on the ground to keep the bones from scraping. We then headed to the VA (since it was my only coverage as I am a combat vet). Half way there I knew his truck was not ideal for the long drive so we met his wife with my truck and I had to switch halfway there... Not fun. Needless to say I finally got there and got some meds, but this was only the beginning of my problems.

Time line:

1505 - Crashed
1725 - Truck arrived
2145 - Arrive at VA getting first bit of drugs.

When I got to the VA, by this time starting to really feel the pain, the doc asked me what happened. I told him I broke my leg and he asked me how I knew that. Frustrated, knowing that it made noise earlier, I rubbed the bones together to make a noise and screamed out in pain and told him "cause you can hear the bones F-ing making noise!!!!"

Long story short.

The next day I have surgery and they rod my leg. The following night my body went into failure mode and I ended up on life support.

For some reason I had contracted ARDS (adult respiratory distress syndrome) and then I went septic, pneumonia, lungs failed, kidneys failed, and a whole bunch of other little things.

Docs had NO idea why. I was in top physical shape (federal agent who just completed our academy) and never smoked or done drugs or anything.

They attributed it to the fact that when I first crashed instead of going into shock like I should have, I prevented myself from doing so. I did this because being a combat vet, I knew the importance of keeping my wits and making sure we got out of our situation in the desert. Only once I got to the VA did I finally relax and that with the large amounts of morphine really screwed me up.

Anyways, I sold that bike and now a few years later I am out riding again. Instead of one bike I now have three and because of the accident my now wife and I were finally able to "meet up" like we had talked about for months prior (I knew her in high school and we had been in touch for years but did have a chance, I told her she only came to hospital to cash in on my life insurance policy being the first time we "saw" each other I was in a coma).

Either way, back to riding and learned a great lesson... Next time jump further... Jk...

Look before you leap.

Couldn't find the broken leg pic

That thing was in my neck, pretty crazy...

irishmatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:49 AM   #2
Homey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmatt18 View Post
So my little story....
I think the moral to the story here is: know what you're jumping before you jump it...just a thought anyway.
Homey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 11:30 AM   #3
Badjuju
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Ah yes….the old "Look before you leap" axiom.
Some people will tell you that slow is good, and it may be on some days, but I am here to tell you that fast is better... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... Hunter S Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature
Badjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 11:44 AM   #4
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,065
Don't outride your sightlines without a good spotter.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 12:14 PM   #5
irishmatt18 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Yeah normally I NEVER EVER take lead and this one time I jump ahead because my helmet was already on I paid for it. I will still lead but these days I do look first and take it easy.
irishmatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 05:16 AM   #6
wuaname
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Ouch... That must have sucked
wuaname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 05:20 AM   #7
Frank06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Interesting physiological response... glad to hear you made it to the hospital.
Frank06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 07:07 AM   #8
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,105
Quote:
...and now a few years later I am out riding again. Instead of one bike I now have three and because of the accident my now wife and I were finally able to "meet up" like we had talked about for months prior...
"All's well that ends well"

--Bill
Old 05-29-2014, 05:12 PM   #9
Bobbyrider
n00b

Oddometer: 6
damn, that sucks!
Bobbyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:06 PM   #10
BeMeUp
neverlost

Oddometer: 81
Doc gave U ARDS

"For some reason I had contracted ARDS (adult respiratory distress syndrome) and then I went septic, pneumonia, lungs failed, kidneys failed, and a whole bunch of other little things"

Soooo, they knocked you out for surgery ,yes? At which point they entubate you. That tube they shoved down your throat and into your lung, happened to have a nasty little bug (thats been getting stronger and more resistent to antibiotics in order to survive in a hostpital) riding along ,in or on, that tube. And surprise ,surprise , all of the sudden you go from tough guy with a broken leg. To slab of meat fighting for your life.

Hostpital born infections are brutal and not uncommon. Surgery enduced septic shock often (I want to say 80 %) ends in death.

Glad you came out OK. It's only because you were in exellent shape going in.
My daughter had similar experiance while in Spain. The extreme cocktail of antibiotics they had to pump into her to kill the infection, left her nearly deaf but alive.