User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2013, 08:55 AM   #211
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 906
fim disease

He may not be able to respond until he gets his foot out of his mouth.

Re: Tallbastid's question about steel, you can completely immobilize the foot and ankle with protection, but it will transfer and amplify vulnerability elsewhere. Scott may have made the most protective boots, but there are trade-offs. I once horse-shoed the steel shank in a boot with a steel toe cap, around the foot peg. There was still a broken/dislocated toe and other breaks and sprains to the foot and ankle. Had the bent shank and those injuries not occurred, there probably would have been a leg break or knee injury.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joints4sale View Post
Seems like you struck a "raw" nerve with your comment. What's your take on this NYTrainer? What else can you bring to this discussion? Please share your experience.
psmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:31 PM   #212
keithmckenney
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Love to see professional publications

I appreciated the list of publications and the technical complexity of some of the papers.

For example, it was not clear that this paper (titled below) applied to our dear friend Bruce but you never know when this technique might be needed for treating him.

"Cannulated screw delivery of bone marrow aspirate concentrate to a stress fracture nonunion: technique tip"

On the other hand, the title of this paper was clearly based on the good doctor's work with our friend Bruce.

"Assessment of the foot and ankle in elite athletes."

:-)
keithmckenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 06:20 AM   #213
EOD3MC
What will break next

Oddometer: 4,679
Yep, certainly sounds like him...

Definately in spirit
EOD3MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 06:27 AM   #214
blaster11 OP
Enabler

Oddometer: 6,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithmckenney View Post
I appreciated the list of publications and the technical complexity of some of the papers.

For example, it was not clear that this paper (titled below) applied to our dear friend Bruce but you never know when this technique might be needed for treating him.

"Cannulated screw delivery of bone marrow aspirate concentrate to a stress fracture nonunion: technique tip"

On the other hand, the title of this paper was clearly based on the good doctor's work with our friend Bruce.

"Assessment of the foot and ankle in elite athletes."

:-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EOD3MC View Post
Yep, certainly sounds like him...

Definately in spirit
You guys are just jealous!
blaster11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:37 AM   #215
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 5,106
Photo Time

The Operating Waiting Room has this nifty chart.

Our oh, my god, earlier start time that was preciously picked months ago, has secured us a top spot on the board

Still pretty good, we are in OR by 8:10

WTF, damn near the entire board is out before he makes bail.

But he does score another pair of these grippy socks.

And now a permanent member of the heavy metal club.

Nothing (ad)ventured, Nothing Gained
Everything you want is on the other side of fear.
Dorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:40 AM   #216
joints4sale
No. Not "That Kind".

Oddometer: 3,021
All that, and all you got was 5 cannulated screws. Keeping it on the cheap side for hardware. Might as well have used gorilla glue and duct tape.

Gives a new meaning to buck fitty.
Erik : IBA #40645---BMW135i FOR SALE<---CLICK
"If my life or death depends on getting Bruce or Dana on the phone then I'm gonna die." RFlagg42
2011 TC449, 2014 S1000R, 2010 R1200GSA 30th Anniversary Edition, 2003 Ktm 625sxc(gone), 1999 DR350(gone), 2007 K1200GT (traded for the GSA). 2004 R1150R (traded for the GT)
joints4sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:59 AM   #217
blaster11 OP
Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by joints4sale View Post
All that, and all you got was 5 cannulated screws. Keeping it on the cheap side for hardware. Might as well have used gorilla glue and duct tape.

Gives a new meaning to buck fitty.
Nice.....buck fifty.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:23 PM   #218
Rex Nemo
horizon calling

Oddometer: 313
Gotta love the grippy socks, eh?

Nice work with the cannulated screws. I pestered my foot surgeon until he admitted that the heads were metric size 3 and 4 allens...never know when I might have to get 'em out in a hurry, right?

May the rest of your recovery go smoothly. There's something to be said for an early surgical start time! Also, you know this already...but don't forget to take those laxatives! Goldang opiates turn the bowels to concrete.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:09 PM   #219
blaster11 OP
Enabler

Yep....fighting that battle now.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:09 AM   #220
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

So this time last year, I knew exactly where Blaster was--within the circumference of the Tempurpedic mattress. This year, not so much. I imagine it's much like having a kid. They are really easy to watch when they can't crawl. They are pretty much right where you left them. At some point, they become semi-mobile rolling/crawling. While you are happy about their development, your job to track them just got a lot harder.

For starters, they always say you never forget how to ride a bike and apparently, you never forget how to ride your knee scooter either. I've gone to take care of the horse, and came back with the bed stacked with munchies from the kitchen. It almost looked like a squirrel ransacked the candy isle at Walmart.

Secondly, I suspect that trauma to the foot this time is greatly less than when you catapult yourself into mother earth. He's at least 2-3 weeks ahead given the pain management needs.

His sprits are up and the follow up appointment is scheduled for next Tues to get the stitches out

Old 10-16-2013, 12:03 PM   #221
blaster11 OP
Enabler

Better prepared this time

So since I scheduled the surgery this time It allowed me to better prepare the spaces where I would be spending all my time.
Here are some of the things I did in preparation;
- Declutter the room, anything which could hamper your movement most likely will.
- We upgraded pillows last year during the event so I am pretty happy with them, got them through Marriot. http://www.pacificpillows.com/mapi.h...utm_creative=e
- I was always looking for a place to put stuff like my laptop, magazines, drinks, snacks, medications, telephone, etc. so this year I found a medical style table which rolls under the bed but has an adjustable top. It is adjustable for height and also angle for reading. I didn't see the need for the most expensive one and the one I got seems to work really well, I paid less than $70.00 for mine shipped. http://www.health-mobility.com/cgi-b...rbed_Bed_Table

- I had a small refrigerator like you would see in a dorm room out in the garage so I brought it in and filled it with water, sodas, and my ice packs. That is really nice so I am not always asking Dorito for ice or something cold to drink. I just put my bedside table back on top of that for additional storage.
- We have a ceiling fan with remote and that is extremely handy when I am having hot or cold bouts due to the mediciation, seriously think about a fan to help moderate temperature.
- Knee scooter, crutches, or whatever you need to get around need to be handy and available for use alone. Dorito picked me up a knee scooter, which is steerable, during the first episode. Luckily for me I kept it around not knowing I would need it again. A steerable knee scooter changed my life so don't underestimate it, I actually went grocery shopping with it last time it worked so well. Needed to give her a break.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:18 PM   #222
blaster11 OP
Enabler

Sometimes if you don't like the answer....

take your question somewhere else. So on the previous episode due to a minor infection I came out of the post surgery wrapping about a week earlier. Well this time it looked like I was going to have to go the distance to where they pulled the stitches, about 12 days. Well since the swelling has gone down the dressing doesn't fit very well causing some uncomfortable hot spots and things aren't staying in the alignment that Dr. Schon would like based on a discussion prior to surgery. So the plan was simple, recruit Dorito and we remove the bandages down to the stitches, rewrap and put on my walking boot, NO walking is planned until the green light is given by Doc man. Well she will have no part of this plan which is odd since she is the first one to rip the bandages off and tell me we don't need no stinkin' doctor to remove stitches. So, I make several failed attempts when I finally decide to call the big dog and plead my case. My case was plead successfully and although she will now at least support the effort I cant get her to take the coverings which cover the actual stitches off. So today I won a rather large battle, I didn't get all that I wanted.
So here is what it looked like all wrapped up from surgery.

Little piggies all tucked away

What a pain to get all this crap cut off

And there it is ahhhhhhh!

Just look at the amount of packaging in there

Toes seem to be still alive but definitely need a little cleanup.

Sorry no gore today or X-rays but next week.....
Old 10-18-2013, 11:55 AM   #223
blaster11 OP
Enabler

Well today I got Dorito to take off the bandages down to the tape over the stitches. Now I can get a better idea of what went on, not that I know anything.
A little dirty but nothing that won't wash off.

As you can see there is a lot going on; All of the main top stuff should be for the install of the screws and and other work needed for the Metatarsal fusion piece (3); the smaller incisions back closer to the ankle should have been to "clean the junk out of the ankle";.

This one is on the right side directly over the ankle bone as best I can tell, this is where they had to do the ligament repair. Pretty sizable incision...

Just above the ankle incision where I think they scoped the ankle.

It looks way better than it did after the first surgery a bit over a year ago....
Old 10-20-2013, 01:17 PM   #224
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

The Tale of the Pain Meds

It's a bit depressing in the pharamacy these days, and clearly a few bad apples can ruin the bunch.

They changed up Blaster's pain meds during the second day check. This meant that used more than the initial dosing. Doc office was more than happy to give a new script, but new laws prevent call-in refills for narcotics.

Fine. They USPS mailed the script.

Now I have the script. Our "normal" CVS pharmacy was out of the them. Pharmacy #2 (Walgreens) which is litterally right next door, won't fill narcotic prescriptions without first verifying with the doctor (and that won't happen until next business day-Monday). Pharmacy #3 the next CVS has banker hours, and is closed.

Finally, got the damn script filled at Safeway, but only becuase once upon a time we filled script there too.

Old 10-20-2013, 01:35 PM   #225
joints4sale
No. Not "That Kind".

Oddometer: 3,021
Next time you need help with narcotics, you know who to call.
Erik : IBA #40645---BMW135i FOR SALE<---CLICK
"If my life or death depends on getting Bruce or Dana on the phone then I'm gonna die." RFlagg42
2011 TC449, 2014 S1000R, 2010 R1200GSA 30th Anniversary Edition, 2003 Ktm 625sxc(gone), 1999 DR350(gone), 2007 K1200GT (traded for the GSA). 2004 R1150R (traded for the GT)
joints4sale is offline   Reply With Quote