Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2014, 06:27 PM   #271
Rex Nemo
horizon calling

Oddometer: 307
Oh man, that sidecar rig looks awesome! The foot, on the other hand, looks like the bottom of a hardware drawer...

I'm seeing big gains since doing regular physical therapy and getting a YMCA membership, and doing 3 weekly workouts in the pool. My PT prescribed an exercise routine that makes me look like I am doing Monty Python skits in the lap pool...but darn if it doesn't help. My walking has increased as well, and has gotten easier...up to 3 miles a day now, with fancy insoles and new running shoes. Sadly my Sidi Crossfires don't fit my left foot anymore--too narrow--and I'll have to hunt around for a size 42 (old ones were 41s).

I still have a fair bit of pain, especially at the base of the toe joints and in the area where the bone screws were inserted to stabilize the first metatarsal. Nonetheless, ibuprofen, icing after exertion, and PT have done wonders. Hoping to get back on a bike for short rides soon. I did cheat and kickstart the old DR350 the other day...
Old 02-04-2014, 02:30 PM   #272
Littlepeter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Nemo View Post
Sadly my Sidi Crossfires don't fit my left foot anymore--too narrow--and I'll have to hunt around for a size 42 (old ones were 41s).
So far I can't fit my foot into anything but a loosely tied running shoe. We'll have to match up the people with the opposite broken feet when we buy new boots!

Peter
Littlepeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:54 PM   #273
blaster11 OP
Ecuador here we come

Oddometer: 6,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeter View Post
So far I can't fit my foot into anything but a loosely tied running shoe. We'll have to match up the people with the opposite broken feet when we buy new boots!

Peter
Funny but true.....right foot bigger here.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:41 PM   #274
Littlepeter
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster11 View Post
Funny but true.....right foot bigger here.
Right foot bigger for me too. I started as a size 46 in Sidi. I'm not sure what I am now? Perhaps 46 extra plumpy?

Peter
Old 03-06-2014, 07:31 PM   #275
dedave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
My right foot is bigger too, probably from the hardware.
dedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:05 AM   #276
blaster11 OP
Ecuador here we come

Mine still has swelling in it...you should have seen me forcing my foot in a dress shoe the other day for an interview.......
Old 03-07-2014, 08:15 AM   #277
Littlepeter
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Mine still has swelling in it...you should have seen me forcing my foot in a dress shoe the other day for an interview.......
When I first got back into running shoes my foot looked like a muffin in a tin by the end of the day. I had a follow up yesterday and my surgeon is pleased with my progress. He suggested hardware removal in the fall. I am not looking forward to another operation but what can yo do?
Old 03-07-2014, 10:20 PM   #278
Rex Nemo
horizon calling

I feel ya. I don't particularly want another surgery, but I sure want those bone screws out of there! When the nerve bangs on the screw head it really ruins the next couple of hours. The physical therapist says I likely won't be able run or jump til they're out.

I went to a running shoe store on College Ave. in Berkeley, of all places, and got fitted for good-quality insoles (the Superfeet Green insoles do really well for me) and running shoes. My left (broken) foot turns out to be a women's size 7.5, while the right is just shy of a 9! The doc's theory is that since all the metatarsal heads were broken, they shortened up as well. The broken foot is considerably wider than before, though; guess those healing bones all spread. So no more women's shoes, almost all will be too narrow. And I do end up fitting (just) into the width of a Sidi Crossfire in 42; the extra length lets me stuff a good insole in there for arch support.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:00 AM   #279
Littlepeter
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Nemo View Post
I feel ya. I don't particularly want another surgery, but I sure want those bone screws out of there! When the nerve bangs on the screw head it really ruins the next couple of hours. The physical therapist says I likely won't be able run or jump til they're out.

I went to a running shoe store on College Ave. in Berkeley, of all places, and got fitted for good-quality insoles (the Superfeet Green insoles do really well for me) and running shoes. My left (broken) foot turns out to be a women's size 7.5, while the right is just shy of a 9! The doc's theory is that since all the metatarsal heads were broken, they shortened up as well. The broken foot is considerably wider than before, though; guess those healing bones all spread. So no more women's shoes, almost all will be too narrow. And I do end up fitting (just) into the width of a Sidi Crossfire in 42; the extra length lets me stuff a good insole in there for arch support.
I bought a pair of shoes last night. I managed to get away with a single size but the right one is considerably tighter across the bridge of my foot. It is a laced shoe so I can compensated by tying it looser. My breaks were at the base (ankle end) of the metatarsals so I have a ridge of scar tissue across the top of my foot which makes it considerably thicker. I won't be able to wear most of my previous footwear. My third toe is shorter than it used to be, but I think I will be the only one that notices that! I have a pair of green Superfeet in my hiking boots (which I don't have a prayer of fitting onto my foot) that I'll try in my other shoes, thanks.
I read and enjoyed your thread on your journey back to two feet. I hope you continue to progress and get back to all the things you love to do.

Peter
Old 03-08-2014, 07:38 PM   #280
Other Bob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeter View Post
I bought a pair of shoes last night. I managed to get away with a single size but the right one is considerably tighter across the bridge of my foot. It is a laced shoe so I can compensated by tying it looser. My breaks were at the base (ankle end) of the metatarsals so I have a ridge of scar tissue across the top of my foot which makes it considerably thicker. I won't be able to wear most of my previous footwear. My third toe is shorter than it used to be, but I think I will be the only one that notices that! I have a pair of green Superfeet in my hiking boots (which I don't have a prayer of fitting onto my foot) that I'll try in my other shoes, thanks.
I read and enjoyed your thread on your journey back to two feet. I hope you continue to progress and get back to all the things you love to do.

Peter
Peter,

There are still a few custom shoe makers in the world, though "be$poke" seems the trend. Try calling a few. Since you're dealing directly with the custom manufacturer you may be able to get a pair with one shoe your "usual" size and the other with your "new/special" size or shape. Here are a few leads, but I suspect there are more:

http://www.exitshoes.com/exit/ (".. based on their actual feet ..")

www.rancourtandcompany.com

www.allenedmonds.com

http://mantorii.com/

Whoa! ...

http://www.vanityfair.com/style/carl...oke-mens-shoes

A cobbler/repair shop may also be able to help. Perhaps you can buy a mass-produced pair and have one adjusted/expanded in some way? Maybe have an existing seam stitch opened and an elastic panel inserted? Only the cobbler knows:

http://www.yeoldecobbler.com/

http://chicagovillagecobbler.com/

http://cobblerscorner.net/

http://www.cobblersbenchshoerepair.com/

Good luck,

Bob

EDIT: Nuts! I didn't notice you were in Canukistan until after I grabbed all those links! Well, you get my point. Sharpen up your Google'fu and get searching!

Other Bob screwed with this post 03-08-2014 at 07:42 PM Reason: Canada has shoe makers too, eh! :)
Other Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:44 AM   #281
Littlepeter
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Bob View Post
Peter,

There are still a few custom shoe makers in the world, though "be$poke" seems the trend. Try calling a few. Since you're dealing directly with the custom manufacturer you may be able to get a pair with one shoe your "usual" size and the other with your "new/special" size or shape. Here are a few leads, but I suspect there are more:

http://www.exitshoes.com/exit/ (".. based on their actual feet ..")

www.rancourtandcompany.com

www.allenedmonds.com

http://mantorii.com/

Whoa! ...

http://www.vanityfair.com/style/carl...oke-mens-shoes

A cobbler/repair shop may also be able to help. Perhaps you can buy a mass-produced pair and have one adjusted/expanded in some way? Maybe have an existing seam stitch opened and an elastic panel inserted? Only the cobbler knows:

http://www.yeoldecobbler.com/

http://chicagovillagecobbler.com/

http://cobblerscorner.net/

http://www.cobblersbenchshoerepair.com/

Good luck,

Bob

EDIT: Nuts! I didn't notice you were in Canukistan until after I grabbed all those links! Well, you get my point. Sharpen up your Google'fu and get searching!
Hello Bob,
Thank you so much for the information. I suspect I will have to go the custom route for a decent pair of dress shoes. I have a pair Dack's that were handmade in New Brunswick. They will outlast me (especially since they don't fit me any more). Unfortunately the company is gone now link.
I will need another surgery in the fall to remove the hardware in my foot. I'll wait until things are completely healed before I take the plunge.

Regards,
Peter
Old 03-10-2014, 11:09 AM   #282
Rex Nemo
horizon calling

That cobbler list is an excellent resource. Thanks! I'll be taking a pair of beloved Wesco boots over to a local cobbler today to see if he can stretch them through the instep, so I can wear 'em comfortably again.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:40 PM   #283
Other Bob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
You're welcome, and good luck. Post the outcome so others will know if it was worth looking into.

Bob
Other Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 05:33 PM   #284
blaster11 OP
Ecuador here we come

Well they gave the OK to start physical therapy a couple of weeks ago. I just got in last week and things seem to be going well. She measured my range of motion and let's just say I am lacking more than a few degrees. It seems like I may be getting things loosened up but I have a long ways to go. At first the PT was questioning everything the surgeon had done....why....that's too soon...he should have waited. But after talking to her and showing her my original injury x-rays and explaining where I have been and then showing her what I could do she kind of came around and thought I had a really good surgeon and that my prognosis was that I would exceed her initial assessment. Now when I come in she tells everyone to keep an eye on me because I am an overachiever.....I told them to please tell my wife that because she would disagree. That got a good chuckle from everyone. I will check back in a couple of weeks when I have a bit more hard data on range of motion.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:26 PM   #285
Littlepeter
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Well they gave the OK to start physical therapy a couple of weeks ago. I just got in last week and things seem to be going well. She measured my range of motion and let's just say I am lacking more than a few degrees. It seems like I may be getting things loosened up but I have a long ways to go. At first the PT was questioning everything the surgeon had done....why....that's too soon...he should have waited. But after talking to her and showing her my original injury x-rays and explaining where I have been and then showing her what I could do she kind of came around and thought I had a really good surgeon and that my prognosis was that I would exceed her initial assessment. Now when I come in she tells everyone to keep an eye on me because I am an overachiever.....I told them to please tell my wife that because she would disagree. That got a good chuckle from everyone. I will check back in a couple of weeks when I have a bit more hard data on range of motion.
Hi Bruce,
My physio thought that they fused the joints in my big toe when I first started therapy. It has improved but I still can't bend it up much more than 45 degrees. I am working on balance and strengthening now. If I walk slowly my gait is quite normal, but my limp becomes obvious if I try to pick up the pace.
My next appointment with my surgeon isn't until September. If all looks good at that time he want's to remove my hardware. I am not looking forward to another surgery but it should increase my range of motion and prevent my foot from shattering if it gets hit again.
Keep on overachieving. You are the only one that can really determine what your final outcome will be.

Stay strong,

Peter