Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2014, 04:36 AM   #301
blaster11 OP
Ecuador here we come

Oddometer: 6,671
So the Doc was pretty happy with how things are going so he said I could do more and would see me late Summer early Fall timeframe. We talked about running some more and he said I won't be a runner and suggested that I not take it up as a hobby or anything. Walking, biking and Elyptical are all acceptable but the impact/impact on the remaining metataursals is what he is concerned about. So everything sounded good to me, meaning I could ramp it up...so I did. Bad move, I went to a small group training session at the gym and while doing a couple rounds of side shuffles I rolled the other "good" ankle it has been hurting for the past week and I have been wearing my brace to help support it. Having the experience with the other one tells me that this one will most likely need a Brostrom procedure as well, tighten the ligament up. That would make me no-op for probably 3 to 4 months and 1 year plus to get back to normal.....where to fit that in. Well when I get back from the Roaming Rally in a couple of weeks I guess I will make an appointment and have it checked out. In the mean time though I have some riding to do.
Old 05-17-2014, 03:30 PM   #302
Littlepeter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster11 View Post
So the Doc was pretty happy with how things are going so he said I could do more and would see me late Summer early Fall timeframe. We talked about running some more and he said I won't be a runner and suggested that I not take it up as a hobby or anything. Walking, biking and Elyptical are all acceptable but the impact/impact on the remaining metataursals is what he is concerned about. So everything sounded good to me, meaning I could ramp it up...so I did. Bad move, I went to a small group training session at the gym and while doing a couple rounds of side shuffles I rolled the other "good" ankle it has been hurting for the past week and I have been wearing my brace to help support it. Having the experience with the other one tells me that this one will most likely need a Brostrom procedure as well, tighten the ligament up. That would make me no-op for probably 3 to 4 months and 1 year plus to get back to normal.....where to fit that in. Well when I get back from the Roaming Rally in a couple of weeks I guess I will make an appointment and have it checked out. In the mean time though I have some riding to do.
All I can say is SHIT! Hope it doesn't mean more surgery.

Peter
Littlepeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 05:01 PM   #303
blaster11 OP
Ecuador here we come

I am pretty sure it will but since the ligament has been loose for quite some time I will be in no real hurry to have it done, its not like I will be doing any running. I wear boots the vast majority of the time so I have a bit of extra support.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:23 AM   #304
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Hurray for all of you on your progress. Milestones demand time and some sort of measured improvement but there's a whole lot of subtle that is entirely personal in recovery. "Pain has no memory" is really true in some cases and we come to expect it to vanish like it has before. It's discouraging when it settles in like an invisible companion. You cater to it, you ignore it, it drags on you yet others have no idea it's there.

Now you become expert, even a perverse connoisseur of an apparently infinite palate of nuanced pain. Interesting at times but mostly just an inconvenient distraction. Especially the chronic sort that hangs like some inbred freeloading progeny, best evicted if you can figure how. Referred pain is goofy and confused. Not much use, just like uninformed opinions. Worst, but useful are the signals of structural impingements. Those must be heeded while the remodeling goes on.

But those new and unique little stabs are information. Enervation restored. Weakened muscles rejoining the group, adhesions releasing and scarred tissues stretching. An internal tutorial on the intricacies of a complex reorganization. I know you'd rather be riding, choosing lines, accelerating and decelerating, watching the world go by. Healing's just a too slow motion synchronicity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Nemo View Post
I took my first short ride on the DR650 a couple of days ago too...wow am I rusty and hypervigilant! Sure was good to be back on the horse, though.

Tomorrow marks the 1-year anniversary of crushing my foot.

psmcd screwed with this post 05-18-2014 at 06:33 AM
psmcd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:54 AM   #305
Littlepeter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by psmcd View Post
Hurray for all of you on your progress. Milestones demand time and some sort of measured improvement but there's a whole lot of subtle that is entirely personal in recovery. "Pain has no memory" is really true in some cases and we come to expect it to vanish like it has before. It's discouraging when it settles in like an invisible companion. You cater to it, you ignore it, it drags on you yet others have no idea it's there.

Now you become expert, even a perverse connoisseur of an apparently infinite palate of nuanced pain. Interesting at times but mostly just an inconvenient distraction. Especially the chronic sort that hangs like some inbred freeloading progeny, best evicted if you can figure how. Referred pain is goofy and confused. Not much use, just like uninformed opinions. Worst, but useful are the signals of structural impingements. Those must be heeded while the remodeling goes on.

But those new and unique little stabs are information. Enervation restored. Weakened muscles rejoining the group, adhesions releasing and scarred tissues stretching. An internal tutorial on the intricacies of a complex reorganization. I know you'd rather be riding, choosing lines, accelerating and decelerating, watching the world go by. Healing's just a too slow motion synchronicity.
Very well said. It is amazing how the human body can cope and what we can tolerate as "normal". My right foot has a constant deep ache, hypersensitivity and numbness all at the same time. That being said, my life is starting to get back to routine after seven months. I will have another surgery in the fall to remove hardware and hope to achieve a more normal normal.

Peter
Littlepeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 12:57 PM   #306
blaster11 OP
Ecuador here we come

Just completed the Roaming Rally Explorer Edition and its funny how I can ride for a week and cover over 2000 miles and my foot causes me no problems, but walk around on it for a couple hours and it hurts for two days. I guess I should stop complaining since all I really want to do is ride.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=931440
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=979705
Old 05-29-2014, 09:06 AM   #307
Rex Nemo
horizon calling

Oddometer: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by psmcd View Post

Nicely said! My level of connoiseurship of pain has indeed increased tremendously.

The structural impingement pain has been a bright directional signal, indeed. Yow! The chronic stuff continues to abate, though not in a strictly linear fashion. Overall it's been a surprisingly dynamic process.

And I'm learning to shift without a tarsometatarsal joint--even did a hundred-mile ride on Friday, then walked for a short while barefoot on sand this weekend. PT gave me a theraband exercise just for upshifting, too--one more point for Evil Yoda.