Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2012, 04:43 PM   #31
blaster11 OP
Enabler

Oddometer: 6,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by joints4sale View Post
I'll investigate on Monday and try to get some answers for you.
Thanks...did you happen to find out anything on the screw removal?
blaster11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:26 PM   #32
joints4sale
No. Not "That Kind".

Oddometer: 3,008
Not yet.
Erik : IBA #40645---BMW135i FOR SALE<---CLICK
"If my life or death depends on getting Bruce or Dana on the phone then I'm gonna die." RFlagg42
2011 TC449, 2014 S1000R, 2010 R1200GSA 30th Anniversary Edition, 2003 Ktm 625sxc(gone), 1999 DR350(gone), 2007 K1200GT (traded for the GSA). 2004 R1150R (traded for the GT)
joints4sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:48 PM   #33
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster11 View Post
A bit of a scare today, my good foot slipped out from under me and I put some weight on the bad foot to try and catch myself, I quickly realized that was a bad move and retracted it and just crashed to the floor...better move.
similar moment myself after shattering the lower leg years ago. i got the tibial nail instead of a cast so started cycling with one leg for exercise. one day i came to a stop balanced the wrong way, then realized i couldn't stick the bad leg out. just slowly crashed over in front of a pile of spectators who must have thought i was pissed.

hope you heal fast, and let us know what you come up with for your next boots. the DR650 crushed my foot a while back and broke four metatarsals. these were heavy duty oxtar mx boots but no steel shank in the sole, so still wondering if that might have helped? will definitely look into it when they are due for replacement....
Old 10-09-2012, 07:03 PM   #34
blaster11 OP
Enabler

Little update

Got my stitches out tonight! I also got answers to my questions and a timeline for things and I liked many of his answers. I will post that up tomorrow since I am a little beat from not having my leg elevated for the past 7 hours or so.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:02 PM   #35
blaster11 OP
Enabler

More information on path forward

So here is the plan ahead the Doctor set up.
-4 weeks from now I can start putting weight on it, (40Lbs) as tolerated. Then every 2 days after that I can add an additional 20Lbs as tolerated.
-Week of 12 November I go back in for a check up.
-Week of 17 December I go back to get the screws removed.
Then shortly after the screws are removed, end of late Dec/first part of Jan, I will move to a different boot, less rigid for several weeks. Then back to normal shoes.
It looks like the biggest problem will be building the strength back up in my leg after no use for so many months. My calf muscles in that leg are already atrophied and only going to get worse. I was originally scheduled for a 2 day Rawhyde training class in March but the Doc didn't feel that the leg would be strong enough to take the abuse and if I had any setbacks I would most likely miss the class. So with that said I am going to reschedule sometime later next year so I don't lose my $.
Doing a little better every day and the pain continues to decrease as well.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:39 PM   #36
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,635
Jeez man. That looks really painful. Interesting notes about the boots. I just purchased a pair of those boots about 2 weeks ago. I returned them the following day because they were WAY too stiff. I am not an MX rider but have been doing a bit more adventuring lately. My normal ride is a 37 miles commute and I do that every day. I kept thinking I wanted something that could handle a bit more off-road and selected the Sidi Adventure Rain because it clearly offered more protection than the BMW Santiago.

I rode home with them and realized I had made a huge mistake. The sole and ankle were so stiff that I couldn't downshift without lifting my foot off the peg unless I was standing on the pegs. Walking even short distances to watch my daughter's softball game was uncomfortable. They were too bulky to wear in the house at all. In short, they were too far to the protection side for my use.

I exchanged them for the Santiagos and I couldn't be happier. They are not as stiff nor do they offer as much protection as the Sidis but they can pass for regular boots when off the bike. They do offer a lot better protection than the BMW All-Around that I replaced. I recognize the compormise and will live within those confines.

I guess what I'm getting at is that I have a hard time believing those boots created this kind of break. If you were bent back that hard, something was going to have to give. If it wasn't your toes, it would have been your knee with anything stiffer than those. Something was going to break. I'm actually surprised the boot gave way at your toes based on my experience with them. Which brings up another question... were they too big? If they fit snug and were properly adjusted, I just don't see how they were able to bend back that far. I've been wrong before thouth...
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:52 PM   #37
blaster11 OP
Enabler

Boots

I probably have 40K miles on those boots and that is the weak point...exactly where the injury is. I have walked all over Hell's half acre and never found the boots uncomfortable but then again I have worn boots most every day of my life. I love the ankle protection and shin protection but obviously the sole stiffness is not there to stop this type of injury. Boots were sized properly. With enough force anything can be accomplished. I don't believe the boots caused the injury...but I do believe there are better boots for the type of riding I was doing that day. I have a second pair of Adventure Rains and I will continue to use them because they are good boots for 85 to 90% of my riding situations. But the other 10 to 15% of the time will require a different boot, most likely a MX boot.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:58 AM   #38
Guano11
Half Decaf

Oddometer: 1,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster11 View Post
...Then back to normal shoes.
Think you'll be able to wear the same size on the left & right when all is said & done? Seems like it's possible your injury could result in a permanently larger foot. Very glad to hear the improvement continues; that looked like a nasty set of breaks & a helluva way to bend your foot!
Guano11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:05 AM   #39
blaster11 OP
Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guano11 View Post
Think you'll be able to wear the same size on the left & right when all is said & done? Seems like it's possible your injury could result in a permanently larger foot. Very glad to hear the improvement continues; that looked like a nasty set of breaks & a helluva way to bend your foot!
Unknown for sure but my foot looks pretty normal at this point, and since all the parts were put back in their original location I am betting nothing will change.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:36 PM   #40
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 5,090
Wheels for the Wheel-less

While insurance will only cover crutches, this knee scooter has really enhanced his mobility. It also ensures that he doesn't bang his foot inadvertantly trying to catch himself. You can either rent or buy them at many places.

It also gives him that freedom of wind in his hair as he goes honking out of control down the parking garage ramps

On another note, found some more views of th x-rays...I haden't realized that the bones were also shifted in the "z" axis:

Nothing (ad)ventured, Nothing Gained
Everything you want is on the other side of fear.
Dorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:35 PM   #41
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 5,090
The Greatest Achievement

Perhaps the greatest achievement of modern medicine is distracting the patient long enough to let the body heal itself. Alas, Blaster feels a bit better each day and now he's upping the ante. Much like the polar bears at the zoo get enrichment activities such as a ball or game, Blaster has also been getting the attention of a rock star.

Much thanks to EOD3MC and GSA_Pilot whom have loaned their DVD collections out.

Nothing (ad)ventured, Nothing Gained
Everything you want is on the other side of fear.
Dorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:13 PM   #42
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorito View Post
While insurance will only cover crutches, this knee scooter has really enhanced his mobility.

[/IMG]
sweet. those levers look pretty exposed though, can you get barkbusters for them?
Old 10-15-2012, 02:01 AM   #43
bigkuri
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 715
Since my riding is slowly returning to dirt, and on the big 990, I've been feeling more and more exposed with regard to my feet/ankles. Blaster, I think you put it an excellent way in saying that "my gear has not caught up with my change in riding environment" a few pages back.

I'm currently considering using the Sidi Crossfire SRS as my one and only boot for all dirt and long road tours. Very short trips or around town will use "normal" boots.

So will look at your upcoming choices with great interest! Plus interested if anyone here does in fact use the crossfire SRS as their "day to day" boot...?

And Blaster, heal well! I just went through the first part of a shoulder rebuild, and the physio treatment is intensive, boring, and hard work; but just keep it up!
Old 10-15-2012, 06:20 AM   #44
lakota
Geeser

Oddometer: 2,971
[QUOTE=Dorito;19798544]While insurance will only cover crutches, this knee scooter has really enhanced his mobility. It also ensures that he doesn't bang his foot inadvertantly trying to catch himself. You can either rent or buy them at many places.

It also gives him that freedom of wind in his hair as he goes honking out of control down the parking garage ramps

TE]
so what farkles have you in mind for the new toy?
IBA #42016

my ride reports

follow my ride

lakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:54 AM   #45
97audia4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
getting the screws removed will set you back another week id say, I had screws like that in my hand and when removed it felt like a huge pressure bubble had been release there was a ton of pain that goes with it.
97audia4 is offline   Reply With Quote