Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2014, 10:37 AM   #1
caveplay OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Question Protection to use on and offroad

Hi I'm caveplay and this is my 1st post on ADV

I'm just getting back into doing some off road rides last time I was riding off road I using a 1981 RM125 or a Hodaka 250 and my mom and dad made sure I had the best Protection ( helmet, sunglasses, leather farm gloves and farm boots ) and that was about the same set up what I was using this weekend when I kind of crashed doing less the about 10 mph
on to nice soft dirt but still ended up cutting my leg up .

I am riding a DR 650 and I'm looking for protection gear that I can use on road as well as off road I'm about 90% on road 10% off road

Thanks Caveplay
caveplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:35 AM   #2
caveplay OP
n00b

come on now

13 lookers and not one try this kind of boot or this works great for me...or we have been over this a 1000time look here you Ahoool
Old 04-14-2014, 11:52 AM   #3
wsmc831
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 600
I wear my bmw rallye pro 2 suite for long range dualsporting, and anything pavement except tracks. The rest (gloves/helmet/boots) is personal choice, and as with most things, the more you spend the better you get.
wsmc831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:37 PM   #4
jeffjcalweb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
go to your website of choice for looking at what is available on protection and what fits your budget.

there are some really good reviews of gear on www.revzilla.com and www.atomicmoto.com

how much are you going to spend will really determine what you buy. there is a huge range of solid armor, padded armor, abrasion protection, etc.

generically speaking: get a MX style boot for protection on your ankles/feet - get quality knee/shin protection, most fit very easily under just about any pant. buy the best helmet you can afford, there are many to pick from. everything is going to come down to $$.
jeffjcalweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:35 AM   #5
caveplay OP
n00b

thanks Jeff and 831 for your help it's a start for me thanks
Old 04-15-2014, 09:59 AM   #6
iggs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Here are some thoughts from a n00b on here but are things that I take from other sports I play

Firstly very good protection can make you feel a bit invincible and therefore lead to accidents and serious injury. This was certainly the case for me when I put on my Alpinestars Moto GP leather and then went out on the track. Sure they do an awesome job in a slide but not much at all if you hit a kerb at speed or stick your elbow out when landing from a high side. Don't let great gear lull you into a false sense of security.

Gear is only going to work if your wearing it. Buy comfy easy to wear gear as you'll use it. If it's difficult to put on or uncomfy you won't.

Bear in mind that unrestricted freedom of movement could allow you to move in such a way as to get you out of trouble. Make sure protective gear is not restricting your ability to ride you bike to the best of your ability, be a shame to pick up an injury because of an off caused by restrictive protective gear.

For riding in the sand here I'm just buying a load of protective gear. I think I'm getting a pair of Alpinestar Tech 10 boots. They come well recommended above everything else. I'm getting the Alpinestars Tech vest and Tech BNS as they integrate together. Probably AS basic knee guards

I won't be riding on the road much at all just in the sand dunes. I'm new to it so will likely fall off here and there. Most worried about the bike hitting me :-/

I hope this helps a bit

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
iggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:40 AM   #7
caveplay OP
n00b

Thanks Iggs

I'm sure if I'd had a Mx boot on and not just my farm boots then
I wouldn't have a cutt up leg today .
Stopped by the Kawasaki dealer in state college PA. today they didn't have one set of boots to look at WTH!
Old 04-15-2014, 12:08 PM   #8
iggs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
A paramedic talking to a bike safe course implored us to always wear some sort of motorbike boot and gloves. Apparently ground down ankles and hands are really grim injuries

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
iggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:34 PM   #9
OneZero
TGT of Opportunity

Oddometer: 296
Keep an eye out on the flea market and you'll find good deals on good gear. I've bought and sold numerous items in the FM and inmates are typically very honorable people. The gear closet on www.motorcyclegear.com also has good second hand deals. I just ordered a pair of gaerne balance pro tech boots for my 70/30 style riding...I'll let you know how I like them when they arrive.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-16-2014, 10:16 AM   #10
caveplay OP
n00b

thanks ONE I'll take a look at the FM
Old 04-16-2014, 08:36 PM   #11
OneZero
TGT of Opportunity

Oddometer: 296
I'm not sure what size you are, but here are two TOP quality jackets that are a great deal. Although I believe it was discontinued, the airob was an updated version of the Rukka Airvision jacket...best jacket I've worn in 29 years of riding.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=965804