User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2015, 05:20 AM   #1
Mastery OP
Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer: 1,367
Question about Deet, Permethrin, and Klim gear

Picking up some of those small items that are always needed for a long journey and one of the things on my list is 100% Deet for the ride to and around Alaska. Looking at Repel 100 for when not in riding gear and Sawyer Permethrin clothing spray to maybe put on the riding gear.

I have a Klim Latitude Misano jacket and pants (newer Vietnam made if it matters). Anybody had problem with the Repel or Sawyer products when using with the Klim? Don't want to lose the waterproofness or cause the material to stain or anything so figured I'd ask.
Mastery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 05:43 AM   #2
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,082
DEET plays havoc with plastics! I'd use it when stopped and camping, not so much on the run-your skins mostly covered then anyway, except face during gas/breaks.
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 05:56 AM   #3
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
DEET plays havoc with plastics! I'd use it when stopped and camping, not so much on the run-your skins mostly covered then anyway, except face during gas/breaks.
I agree. When we went up to the Circle last June, we were covered head to toe when riding so we're only bothered at gas fill ups. We just kept our helmet lids closed. At camp is where we put Deet on, but I made sure to wash it off with baby wipes the next morning.
IBA #50489
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:18 AM   #4
travelsomewhere
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Man i would call Klim, i would hate to have a 5 dollar bottle of junk to ruin a $1000 suit!
Old 01-26-2015, 09:20 AM   #5
Mastery OP
Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer: 1,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelsomewhere View Post
Man i would call Klim, i would hate to have a 5 dollar bottle of junk to ruin a $1000 suit!
Finally heard back from Klim. They said they had no idea if it would damage the Latitude set. Said to contact Goretex directly. Will keep updated if I hear any useful info.
Mastery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:54 AM   #6
realtrailmix
the real trailmix

Oddometer: 26
i have seen deet eat nylon climbing gear, ropes, etc. i do not use it when wearing anything synthetic, which i almost always do outdoors, therefore i do not use anything with deet in it.
realtrailmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:30 AM   #7
spaceman_spiff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,018
Just get some all natural bug spray. I use some that a combo of eucalyptus and lemon grass or something and it works amazingly well and I don't feel like I'm spraying liquid cancer all over my face
spaceman_spiff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:30 AM   #8
spaceman_spiff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,018
Also, I work in Alaska all summer long so I know how effective it is and yes it works just as well as deet
spaceman_spiff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:48 AM   #9
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,597
I've used the Sawyer permethrin product on synthetics on several occasions and never had any issues with staining or fabric deterioration. The stuff works well. Might want to consider spraying your tent also.
Higher DEET concentrations are not more effective, they just last longer before needing to be reapplied. You might want to do some more research and decide what kind of staying power you need versus the risks of using the product excessively. I would bet you don't need something as strong as even 50%.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 12:14 PM   #10
Smoke Eater 3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 741
I use the Sawyer Permethrin on my Klim gear too. I've never had a problem. I wouldn't use DEET though. That shit is nasty.
Smoke Eater 3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 12:52 PM   #11
-Meanderthal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
A few thoughts:

Some years are much worse than others for skeeters and so far this winter we have had relatively little snow which should correlate to a low skeeter year.

They are rarely ever bad everywhere at the same time. If you stop somewhere and they are bad just try another spot if you can. Look for a spot that is higher and drier with a breeze if possible.

There is no substitute for a head net. I like the kind that fit over a baseball cap to keep the net away from my face. If they are really thick they will be flying into your eyes, ears and nose even if they aren't biters if you don't have a head net.

Be prepared to clean the dead bugs off of your face shield on the road. Odds are you will ride through an occasional swarm and want to deal with it right away.
-Meanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 03:55 PM   #12
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,915
Deet literally eats nylon and plastic just like gasoline does to a Styrofoam cup, only slower.

If you like your gear, do not use deet on it.

Deet is designed for next to skin, what it does is block the odors your body gives off to essentially make you invisible to mosquitos. Using it on clothing doesn't actually work well.

It was designed in the 40's, before words like chemical safety or cancer were in the english language.

There is plenty of other ways to stop the biting.

Light clothing instead of dark

citronella candles

a smokey campfire

hell even a bug net

I saw a listing of all the different mosquito repellants and their lasting effects recently on one of the backpacking sites, I'll see if I can find it. Sure, 100% DEET was in the top spot, but again, gasoline would do the same thing for ya.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 04:36 PM   #13
Quij95
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Last summer on the trans lab I met the little black flies. (Teeth with wings) netting was a must and had a soaked ball cap with deet for gas stops. Don't leave your helmet on or they will quickly get in with you. Ware a hoodie, neting, and soaked ball cap on longer stops. I will take skeeters over those flies any day.
XT500
Quij95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:08 PM   #14
spartanman
regret minimizer

Oddometer: 1,076
Herbal Armor works great. Deet free.

http://www.amazon.com/All-Terrain-DE...ustomerReviews

Last summer I used it to fend off the mosquitoes at an Acadia campsite. Without it at dusk you couldn't swat the bastards off fast enough. Put on the Herbal Armor and they left me alone. Highly recommended.
spartanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:25 AM   #15
Mtl_Biker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Take a look at my Trans-Lab trip report (in my signature) for the details, but there's no way that I'd use 100% Deet on myself OR my gear.

But I'm a firm convert to using Sawyer's Permethrin. I sprayed my clothing, tent etc. with it (you must do this very carefully in a well-ventilated area and not get it on your skin) and during my Trans-Lab trip I was NOT bothered by the bugs at all. I didn't even have to use anything on my skin at all!

One time I stopped at a little clearing where 3 other riders were resting. One was being eaten alive by the blackflies, the second was wearing a head net and the third kept his helmet on with the visor closed. They were miserable. I stood next to them with my helmet off and not a single blackfly landed on me or bit me. They flew around, but that was all. And the guys only 1-2 feet away were being eaten alive.

Read my trip report for more information.
Mtl_Biker is offline   Reply With Quote