Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2012, 03:18 PM   #91
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Oh I know but he is also the same man that has 5 chain saws for cutting different types of trees, but they are all the same, Stihl chainsaws.... I don't think I know a man that is more specific than he is hahaha
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:00 PM   #92
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin4melife View Post
Oh I know but he is also the same man that has 5 chain saws for cutting different types of trees, but they are all the same, Stihl chainsaws.... I don't think I know a man that is more specific than he is hahaha
Ha ha..... Do it...Do it...Do it....

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:41 AM   #93
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

First fork guard, I am doing a modification to it right now. I did this w/ 4 layers of 6 oz 2x2 w/HTE epoxy, it is rigid but has some mild longitudinal play so I added another layer, and another small layer to reinforce the lower mounts. I also opted to make a small piece that runs to the portion that used to bolt down the back portion of the stock fender. I have no idea how that will look but if I do not like it I can just hack it off.

The top section I notched out because I thought it would look cool, then when I test fitted it I needed to notch the lower portion to have good brake rotor clearance. Either way it looks awesome on the bike.

Now I have to learn some medicine before I start on the left fork guard. If the strut thingy turns out fine I will do the same on the other side but integrate it sooner to ensure it is really stable. I am also getting much better at the process in the terms of prep/setup/time management etc...
Old 10-25-2012, 05:53 AM   #94
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

Oh yeah, I made a large flat sheet of 5 layers the same size of my radiator guard.... I have to beat Erling at making something first
Old 10-25-2012, 06:33 AM   #95
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Oh yeah, I made a large flat sheet of 5 layers the same size of my radiator guard.... I have to beat Erling at making something first

Erling
Old 10-26-2012, 06:43 AM   #96
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

After I made the strut I deemed it was not necessary because in applying the extra layer of cf and the additional cf needed for the strut it made the piece as hard as a rock! So I have a total of 5 layers, 6 covering the bolt mounts and 3 additional midway up the guard (from the proposed strut) all done with MAX HTE. I will fabricate the other one shortly, Will just run 5 layers and the additional one for bolt mounts. I believe mine required a little more fabric because it is a different design than Erlings. Either way it is good to go.

Also I sent my pops some info on CF CNC fabrication and it is a go on the guard. But I have to program it.... Shouldn't be too bad though as it is just cutting, no 3D.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:39 AM   #97
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Whoooooooeeeeee...... I added one layer of 12 oz each...... No rocks will ever make it through.
So no brace on yours ........ Nice.... As dirt will gt in there.... And that is one thing that will slowly grind the carbon.

Erling
Old 11-02-2012, 12:03 PM   #98
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

Photobucket

Working on something new, this is the prelude. Will post pictures of what it is when it is done.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:03 PM   #99
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,120
Quote:

Working on something new, this is the prelude. Will post pictures of what it is when it is done.
Bashplate?

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:25 PM   #100
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
Bashplate?
Nope, I may make one of those in the future but this will be a luggage rack for the back. Will see how much I like it when it is finished. I will be cutting a few slots for straps/webbing once it is cured.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:26 PM   #101
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

I don't think I have ever witnessed someone graduating so fast as you have....... It is good to see..... Indeed...

Erling
Old 11-02-2012, 02:42 PM   #102
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

Well I have worked w/glass in the past so it isn't too much of a stretch. Same concepts just different materials. I need to work on my waste though. I used more CF than I needed to for this because I didn't measure appropriately. That is alright as I need to make spacers for the bolts. I probably over did this piece. I used 3 sheets of CF 6 oz, 1 sheet Kevlar, 2 sheets CF, 1 sheet Kevlar and then 3 more sheets of CF. So 10 sheets total w/HTE. I wanted to make sure it was super strong so it can support a rotopax or what ever I put on it.

I have to get everything done by Jan as I am leaving MD for 9 months as I travel the US for my med school rotations and I plan on taking the bike with me. Will be the best time I have in the near future to ride all over the place while having a hub I can return to.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:04 PM   #103
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,120
Quote:
Nope, I may make one of those in the future but this will be a luggage rack for the back. Will see how much I like it when it is finished. I will be cutting a few slots for straps/webbing once it is cured.

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:59 PM   #104
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

So I had a few issues with the resin curing, it got pretty cold here last night and I didn't get it up to the temperature that it needed to be at. I was really concerned about botching the whole job because even at 24hrs the top layer was very tacky! I did two big no-nos while doing this, I didn't have the temperature high enough for curing and I was beginning to run out of resin while doing the layup and I eye balled a quick mix to finish the job. I was worried that one or both of these screwed the mix. So after talking to Erling for a bit I did two things. Because I was concerned about the last layer needing more hardener I brushed a thin layer (ill advised but I needed to give it a shot) and then I popped it into the oven at 275 F for an hour. Poof! This was an instant fix! It cured hard as a rock and I was done. This was a last ditch effort to save it and I do not plan on using the oven anytime soon. I opened all the doors and turned on the vent fan and after being an eskimo for a 2 hours it was all good (1 to cook 1 to clear out the fumes)

Photobucket

I will drill everything out etc once I build the CF spacers for the bolts.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:19 PM   #105
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

I think you mentioned in your email that you already have added another layer to auto level. The curing agent will get hard enough under high heat.....but it has no strength.... Did you try to scrape it before adding the new layer..... It usually behaves like hte in a pot....without post heat cure.... It crystallizes under stress...... Most likely you just did not have it post heat cure enough...... Not meaning to stir anything, but as others sees this.... Brushing a thin layer of curing agent on it will do nothing to the overall cure.... Once you cooked the whole piece, you got it going.... regardless of the added layer of curing agent......

Erling