Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2012, 05:39 PM   #106
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
I pulled the template and cut/sanded everything down before I added the self leveling layer of resin. It is curing right now.

runnin4melife screwed with this post 11-03-2012 at 06:32 PM
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:48 PM   #107
njoytheride
NJOYN' THE JOURNEY

Oddometer: 827
what a interesting write up. This type of thing is what makes America great. Good job !
Btw. your Dad may be a little uh.....picky but, he raised a smart son.
If you get around Arkansas give me a shout. We have some fantastic riding here. Njoy
njoytheride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:01 AM   #108
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

Won't be in Arkansas for a while I was supposed to be at Ft. Campbell this summer but will instead be in Ohio at Wright Patterson AFB. I get to do some riding in TX, GA, IL/MO, and NC throughout the next year so I am pretty excited. MD doesn't have a whole lot to offer because there really isn't any OHV/public trails to ride on and if they do have any it is almost exclusively for ATVs.

I am wondering how I nuke this entire thread as I want to assemble a start to finish thread including the vendors, parts, cost, etc... Because people have PM'd me about that stuff.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:06 AM   #109
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin4melife View Post
Won't be in Arkansas for a while I was supposed to be at Ft. Campbell this summer but will instead be in Ohio at Wright Patterson AFB. I get to do some riding in TX, GA, IL/MO, and NC throughout the next year so I am pretty excited. MD doesn't have a whole lot to offer because there really isn't any OHV/public trails to ride on and if they do have any it is almost exclusively for ATVs.

I am wondering how I nuke this entire thread as I want to assemble a start to finish thread including the vendors, parts, cost, etc... Because people have PM'd me about that stuff.
Rather than nuking it... Which I think only the mods can do.... Just go back to your first post...... Edit it with the addition of all the material vendors..... That is what I do.... Then add a post in the end, stating that post one has been updated with all the vendor links. Lots of good stuff in here, that you should not nuke. As far as the travel..... You say TX.... which is most likely hundreds of mile from me... (far west Texas) but should your route take you to FT. Bliss ( El Paso)..... let me know.......

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:34 AM   #110
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

I had bliss as an option but refrained as I am driving to all of my rotation sites and that is a bit out of the way for me considering I will be at Scott AFB, IL and subsequently have to be at Ft. Bragg, NC. So Ohio is more conducive to that path then going all the way down to El Paso. There is a high likely hood that I will be doing my residency at either San Antonio or up in Killeen (Ft. Hood). Which if that is the case I will definitely be heading to west Texas to do some riding (2 years away though).
Old 11-04-2012, 03:07 PM   #111
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I had bliss as an option but refrained as I am driving to all of my rotation sites and that is a bit out of the way for me considering I will be at Scott AFB, IL and subsequently have to be at Ft. Bragg, NC. So Ohio is more conducive to that path then going all the way down to El Paso. There is a high likely hood that I will be doing my residency at either San Antonio or up in Killeen (Ft. Hood). Which if that is the case I will definitely be heading to west Texas to do some riding (2 years away though).
I was gonna guess FT.Hood..... I can wait a couple of years.... That'l give you more time to gather war stories....

Erling
Old 11-04-2012, 05:15 PM   #112
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

I have plenty of those, I was enlisted in the Infantry from 2001-2008, around 2006 I decided I would get out to pursue medicine but had to wait to get back from Iraq before that could happen. Hospital war stories can be funny though, like a nurse getting poo'd on hahaha.

The rear luggage rack turned out beautifully! Even given my potential fallacies. I am searching for some nice round plastic that I can use to mold the spacers to bolt it down with right now.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:25 PM   #113
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I have plenty of those, I was enlisted in the Infantry from 2001-2008, around 2006 I decided I would get out to pursue medicine but had to wait to get back from Iraq before that could happen. Hospital war stories can be funny though, like a nurse getting poo'd on hahaha.

The rear luggage rack turned out beautifully! Even given my potential fallacies. I am searching for some nice round plastic that I can use to mold the spacers to bolt it down with right now.
Ha ha.... Bravo......

Erling
Old 11-07-2012, 05:57 AM   #114
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

I am looking for some M8 x 100 Stainless button head bolts but am having a difficult time finding them not in bulk. These will be for the luggage rack. I have some M8 course threaded rod and can just attach a bolt to the end but it doesn't look very nice. I have checked Home Depot and Ace Hardware but they don't have any this long.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:02 AM   #115
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I am looking for some M8 x 100 Stainless button head bolts but am having a difficult time finding them not in bulk. These will be for the luggage rack. I have some M8 course threaded rod and can just attach a bolt to the end but it doesn't look very nice. I have checked Home Depot and Ace Hardware but they don't have any this long.
I buy all my hardware from www.boltdepot.com

Erling
Old 11-07-2012, 08:23 AM   #116
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

So here is the issue, I was contemplating just utilizing button head bolts to secure the luggage rack with nylon spacers. Since I cannot find any bolts long enough for the back portion I have two options. Option one is finding something (like shampoo bottles) to fill the void and stuff some CF and resin in there for a fixed spacer, I can then counter sink the top part and use a flat head hex screw. My big question is whether the addition of new resin/CF to an already cured product will be structurally sound enough? I am also assuming that I would need to make it large enough to accommodate the bolt as well as a metal sleeve? Let me know what you think...
Old 11-07-2012, 11:14 AM   #117
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
So here is the issue, I was contemplating just utilizing button head bolts to secure the luggage rack with nylon spacers. Since I cannot find any bolts long enough for the back portion I have two options. Option one is finding something (like shampoo bottles) to fill the void and stuff some CF and resin in there for a fixed spacer, I can then counter sink the top part and use a flat head hex screw. My big question is whether the addition of new resin/CF to an already cured product will be structurally sound enough? I am also assuming that I would need to make it large enough to accommodate the bolt as well as a metal sleeve? Let me know what you think...
If you use the HTE, and wet a long say 4 inch strip of CF..... then roll it around a wood dowel, matching the diameter you need..... Then roll the cloth up on the rod.....tight, as of to squeeze out all excess resin....... I would think for a either M6 or M8 bolt you need a t least 3 mm thick layup, and 5 to make sure... make it 7-8 so you have room to sand away afterwards. Then tape it up with electrical tape, to hold it in place...... Cure it at 200 deg for two hrs.... ( maximum temp the tape will hold) Then remove the tape and cook it on hr at 300 deg. Simply drill out the wood...... Cut the rod into what ever length you need... Then bond it to the plate. If you just use epoxy with no CF... you will crush it. Another gangsta tip gone.....

Erling
Old 11-07-2012, 03:02 PM   #118
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 4,756
Quote:
I am looking for some M8 x 100 Stainless button head bolts
Here's a thread I did last month on stainless steel hardware haunts

Metic Stainless Steel Hardware
Old 11-07-2012, 03:45 PM   #119
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

Yeah I spent about 2 hrs going through every web page looking for the bolt I desired. I couldn't really find it so I went with an alternative that will work out in the long run, such is life when you are making weird things. Other than the bolt fiasco the luggage rack is looking great. I am going to paint it gloss black and rubberize it for longevity and to increase friction on the surface.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:04 PM   #120
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

Today I completed the other fork guard (had been sitting for a while waiting to be sanded) and finished up the luggage rack. I have some regular bolts up top right now as I am waiting for some bolts I ordered to come in I like the rack so far, it is super solid. I painted it flat black and still have to apply the rubber coating.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket