User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2012, 06:25 PM   #1
dstriffler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Long Island to Newport

My girlfriend and I decided to take a trip to Newport, Rhode Island from home base in Sayville, NY. We rode out to Orient point and took the ferry across the sound to New London, CT. I didn't want to be on major highways at all, but we were forced to ride on 95 for a few miles. We took US 1 and 1A all the way there.

On the ferry they parked me with a few other motorcycles.

We did the typical tours of the mansions, and we also visited the Jamestown, which is between Newport and the mainland. There was a cool lighthouse there, and also a park called Fort Wetherill that had a large old structure that looked like it used to be a military bunker, but it is covered in graffiti now. But just behind the structure is cliffs with great views of the ocean.

While in Newport we paid to park in a lot which was pretty good walking distance from where we wanted to eat dinner, and when we made the long walk we found free parking dedicated for motorcycles:

On the way home we stopped at Narragansett for lunch. The tunnel was apparently used for weddings and catering events. You can just make out the front wheel of the bike to the left of the woman in red.

Me getting ready to ride:

I couldn't go the whole trip without going offroad, so I took the bike out on the beach.

There was also a great cemetery off of 1A called River Bend Cemetery, which offered great views of CT and the ocean.

The entire trip was slightly over 400 miles and had absolutely zero problems. I wish the leaves were changing a bit more, but it was a good weekend weather-wise so I figured it was a good time.
dstriffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:01 AM   #2
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
Looked like a nice jaunt by the water! Good stuff.

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:30 AM   #3
Effervescent
Sexiest ADVrider '13

Oddometer: 1,797
Excellent.

Might be fun to work in Route 58 to The Sycamore Diner in Bethel, CT into that trip some time. Try their home-brewed root beer and the Dagwood burger.

How much was the ferry for the bike?

-Eff
Old 09-30-2012, 07:28 PM   #4
dstriffler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
I plan on going upstate again a few more times this fall, and definitely want to explore more in CT. I'll keep route 58 and the diner in mind, thanks. The ferry has gone up in the past few years it was $45 each way. A little annoying since its a motorcycle, and they don't allow you a space like a car. They just squeeze you in along the side or under a staircase. But it is a great ferry, and it really breaks up the riding time. The NX isn't the best for two up toruing on the highway, and after about an hour a short break is fantastic.
dstriffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:37 PM   #5
J-Dubs
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Ferry Fares

You should mention that the $45 covers the bike & driver plus the passenger, otherwise the fare would be just South of $30 (bike and driver/rider/pilot). Even with a side car the ferry doesn't cost 45. Looks like you were on the MV John H.The other side of the coin is that we frequently sneak bikes into those spots without a ferry reservation right up until sailing time (some four wheeled type really resent that) The big exception is the MV Cape Henlopen whose depressed well deck means last minute bikes might be out of luck with a "pierhead jump" on very busy days.
J-Dubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:50 AM   #6
SquadraCorse
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Small world. My friend and I were on our way to Razee's in North Kingstown that day and I think we were right behind you (in my truck). Could figure out what you were riding until we drove past. Great day trip!

http://styleperpound.blogspot.com/
BMW R1100S Light | KLX 400
SquadraCorse is offline   Reply With Quote