ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Asia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 06:58 PM   #46
Nata Harli
The Accidental Tourista
 
Nata Harli's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Kansas City, MISSOURI
Oddometer: 2,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiamo View Post
Joe and I are checked in to the New Siam Riverside now. We'll wait here in room 4416 to one of yous FF come a knockin' :)
Looking into getting two misplaced bags from two different airlines back in our possession.
Then off to get some more immunity from local diseases and joe needs Baht cash.
Let us know when you're coming.

Droid S 3 & TT2
Just knocked on your door. You either had a rough nite or you're exploring.

I'm in 3247 across the street but I'm going to go walk around a bit. Let me know what time you guys will be around and I'll come over.
__________________
Latin American Ride Reports link
5th Annual Latin American Rider's Rally

No, it's not a Harley , it's a BMW.
Nata Harli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:37 PM   #47
250txc
250TXC
 
250txc's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Cebu Philippines
Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by George 99 View Post
Couldn't find a link here so figured I'd post it. Someone might be interested.

This from the Husaberg Adventure Team FB page:
"Dean organizes a charity ride for children's schools in Cambodia every year. It starts in Phnom Penh January 21. We will buy used scooters, outfit them with knobbies, and enduro through the jungles, beaches, and rivers for almost two weeks. There is no entry fee, you just need to get to Phenom Penh and buy a ~$600 scooter that after the ride is sold with the proceeds going to the schools.
Don't know who Dean is but he sounds like a great guy with at least 1 great idea ... We need more Deans in this world ... Dean copycats are accepted also ...

Good luck to all and ride safe ... The good time will be built in by default ...
__________________
See the providence of Cebu in the Philippines by Motorcycle
Motorcycles and tours available daily
Contact TXCRLB@gmail.com for details
250txc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:22 AM   #48
Nata Harli
The Accidental Tourista
 
Nata Harli's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Kansas City, MISSOURI
Oddometer: 2,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250txc View Post
Don't know who Dean is but he sounds like a great guy with at least 1 great idea ... We need more Deans in this world ... Dean copycats are accepted also ...

Good luck to all and ride safe ... The good time will be built in by default ...
I've never met Dean either but will on Friday or Saturday.

He does sound like a great guy but you'd also have to include Dave (daveg) in with the praise. He's a co-sponsor of the ride along with Dean.
__________________
Latin American Ride Reports link
5th Annual Latin American Rider's Rally

No, it's not a Harley , it's a BMW.
Nata Harli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:29 AM   #49
George 99 OP
Studly Adventurer
 
George 99's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Kingman, Arizona
Oddometer: 771
I've talked to Dave on the phone and Dean via e-, never met either one. But based on reports from the last two years figured we couldn't go wrong. I have three other friends already in Bangkok and I'm in transit (Tokyo right now) so we'll all meet up by weekend.

It's starting out as an adventure (delayed 24 hours in LA), hope it turns into a motorcycle ride like our trip south of the border in 2010.
__________________
George
Sometimes in Kingman, Arizona
George 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:02 PM   #50
Nata Harli
The Accidental Tourista
 
Nata Harli's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Kansas City, MISSOURI
Oddometer: 2,537
Bangkok to PP?

I sent this email to daveg but in case any of you have some suggestions, feel free to chime in.

Dave,

A couple of questions. I'm not sure what you are monitoring right now so I'm going to post these in several places.

There are 5 of us heading to PP in the morning. We have 2 options to get to the border.

1. Catch a bus at 5am and get to the border around 9am.
2. Catch a train at 6am and get to the border around 2pm.

Which do you think is the better option.

Next question: It appears we have several options once we clear immagration into Cambodia. Private taxi, bus and ??? Do you have any suggestions about the best way to get from Poi Pet to PP?

Thanks and we all hope to see you tomorrow.

Ken
__________________
Latin American Ride Reports link
5th Annual Latin American Rider's Rally

No, it's not a Harley , it's a BMW.
Nata Harli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:04 AM   #51
VTbeemer
Traveler
 
VTbeemer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: People's Republic of Vermont
Oddometer: 336
BK to PnP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nata Harli View Post
I sent this email to daveg but in case any of you have some suggestions, feel free to chime in.

Dave,

A couple of questions. I'm not sure what you are monitoring right now so I'm going to post these in several places.

There are 5 of us heading to PP in the morning. We have 2 options to get to the border.

1. Catch a bus at 5am and get to the border around 9am.
2. Catch a train at 6am and get to the border around 2pm.

Which do you think is the better option.

Next question: It appears we have several options once we clear immagration into Cambodia. Private taxi, bus and ??? Do you have any suggestions about the best way to get from Poi Pet to PP?

Thanks and we all hope to see you tomorrow.

Ken
Ken et al,

A little while back I posted this link that exactly lays out how to transit overland between BK and PnP. Scroll down to see the on the ground experience of other travelers. I would prefer to start on the train but by your posting it seems that the earlier arrival advantage of the bus would win out. The bus leaves you with much more daylight travel options. I take it that the direct bus did not pan out?

http://forum.rideforcambodia.com/index.php

I'm here in Boston now waiting to take the AM flight out. Luckily it seems that I am scheduled on a United 777 so no grounded Dreamliner for me, phew! Unless they they decide to reassign my plane to the affected routes .

See you guys I'm a bit...
__________________
http://vtbeemer.blogspot.com/

14' R1200GSW- 93' R100GS/PD- F650GS- 94' R11RS
08' WR250R- 95 R100R- K75s- 57' R69
77' R75/7- 06' Ducati S4R Monster- 74' XL 250
VTbeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:50 AM   #52
Nata Harli
The Accidental Tourista
 
Nata Harli's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Kansas City, MISSOURI
Oddometer: 2,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTbeemer View Post
Ken et al,

A little while back I posted this link that exactly lays out how to transit overland between BK and PnP. Scroll down to see the on the ground experience of other travelers. I would prefer to start on the train but by your posting it seems that the earlier arrival advantage of the bus would win out. The bus leaves you with much more daylight travel options. I take it that the direct bus did not pan out?

http://forum.rideforcambodia.com/index.php

I'm here in Boston now waiting to take the AM flight out. Luckily it seems that I am scheduled on a United 777 so no grounded Dreamliner for me, phew! Unless they they decide to reassign my plane to the affected routes .

See you guys I'm a bit...
Dan,

It looks like I'm out for the R4C. It's been a day long saga trying to figure out how to get to PP. After the bus/train idea went down the tubes I decided to bit the bullet and try and get a flight out. 6 hours later, with nothing but clusterfucks with both Bangkok Air and Air Asia I've seen the writing on the wall and am going to head to Chiang Mai. My budget was pretty well busted before I even left the states and I just can't make it work trying to get to PP in time to leave on Monday. You know how those last minute flights are.

I'm going to send the phone along with the group I'm here with in BK. They're flying out tomorrow. If you're not going to be able to come to Chiang Mai after R4C with them we'll just make arrangements for you to mail it back to me when you get back.

Hope to see you in Chiang Mai.

Ken
__________________
Latin American Ride Reports link
5th Annual Latin American Rider's Rally

No, it's not a Harley , it's a BMW.
Nata Harli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:00 AM   #53
bush pilot
Beastly Adventurer
 
bush pilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Thailand
Oddometer: 2,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nata Harli View Post
Dan,

It looks like I'm out for the R4C. It's been a day long saga trying to figure out how to get to PP. After the bus/train idea went down the tubes I decided to bit the bullet and try and get a flight out. 6 hours later, with nothing but clusterfucks with both Bangkok Air and Air Asia I've seen the writing on the wall and am going to head to Chiang Mai. My budget was pretty well busted before I even left the states and I just can't make it work trying to get to PP in time to leave on Monday. You know how those last minute flights are.

I'm going to send the phone along with the group I'm here with in BK. They're flying out tomorrow. If you're not going to be able to come to Chiang Mai after R4C with them we'll just make arrangements for you to mail it back to me when you get back.

Hope to see you in Chiang Mai.

Ken
Well that's too bad. I booked my Airasia flight weeks ago knowing this time of year is a mob scene. You surely could make it from Bangkok to Poipet easily overland and then bus to PP. Where there's a will there's a way.
I'll still be in Bangers tomorrow night if ya'll wanna meet up for a beer.
Give a call 0895890375.
__________________
USA travels 09'
Anchorage to Ushuaia
RTW...part: Europe
Iron Butt #35784
bush pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:10 AM   #54
bush pilot
Beastly Adventurer
 
bush pilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Thailand
Oddometer: 2,474
There is a 200 baht bus from Bangkok to Aranyaprathet from there another cheap bus to PP.


__________________
USA travels 09'
Anchorage to Ushuaia
RTW...part: Europe
Iron Butt #35784

bush pilot screwed with this post 01-17-2013 at 12:03 PM
bush pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:30 AM   #55
bush pilot
Beastly Adventurer
 
bush pilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Thailand
Oddometer: 2,474
Also lot's of luck going to Chiang Mai this time of year, it's burning season and the air is virtually un-breathable. If you want to have a decent time hop a train or a bus south to Satun or Penang. At least you can breathe the air down there and have something good to eat.
Or just stay in BKK this is nicest time of year here. It's cool and fresh, just get away from Kao San Road, I wont go there, the place makes my skin crawl.
__________________
USA travels 09'
Anchorage to Ushuaia
RTW...part: Europe
Iron Butt #35784
bush pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:00 PM   #56
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer
 
PoundSand's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: socal
Oddometer: 5,755
Damn, wish I had seen this thread earlier. Sounds awesome!


Any idea of the headcount for the ride?
PoundSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:27 PM   #57
VTbeemer
Traveler
 
VTbeemer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: People's Republic of Vermont
Oddometer: 336
Wicked

Ken
Sorry to hear that..

I just landed in BK a little while ago. Am staying here:

White Orchid Inn 2
21 1/4 Soi Nanatai Sukhumvit 4. rd. Bangkok. Rm # 105
Ph #. 66 2656 7992
My Skype Id: ZEEBMW

If you are nearby maybe we can do breakfast?

Sounds like I may meet the others at the airport.

I was worried that the overland route to PnP was going to be troublesome.

Will hook up with you in Chiangmai Mai post R4C. Start scouting hotels and routes for us.

Will catch up later,

Dan




Quote:
Originally Posted by Nata Harli View Post
Dan,

It looks like I'm out for the R4C. It's been a day long saga trying to figure out how to get to PP. After the bus/train idea went down the tubes I decided to bit the bullet and try and get a flight out. 6 hours later, with nothing but clusterfucks with both Bangkok Air and Air Asia I've seen the writing on the wall and am going to head to Chiang Mai. My budget was pretty well busted before I even left the states and I just can't make it work trying to get to PP in time to leave on Monday. You know how those last minute flights are.

I'm going to send the phone along with the group I'm here with in BK. They're flying out tomorrow. If you're not going to be able to come to Chiang Mai after R4C with them we'll just make arrangements for you to mail it back to me when you get back.

Hope to see you in Chiang Mai.

Ken
__________________
http://vtbeemer.blogspot.com/

14' R1200GSW- 93' R100GS/PD- F650GS- 94' R11RS
08' WR250R- 95 R100R- K75s- 57' R69
77' R75/7- 06' Ducati S4R Monster- 74' XL 250
VTbeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:34 AM   #58
Nata Harli
The Accidental Tourista
 
Nata Harli's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Kansas City, MISSOURI
Oddometer: 2,537
Made it to PP

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTbeemer View Post
Ken
Sorry to hear that..

I just landed in BK a little while ago. Am staying here:

White Orchid Inn 2
21 1/4 Soi Nanatai Sukhumvit 4. rd. Bangkok. Rm # 105
Ph #. 66 2656 7992
My Skype Id: ZEEBMW

If you are nearby maybe we can do breakfast?

Sounds like I may meet the others at the airport.

I was worried that the overland route to PnP was going to be troublesome.

Will hook up with you in Chiangmai Mai post R4C. Start scouting hotels and routes for us.

Will catch up later,

Dan
Dan,

After sleeping on it I decided I'd come this far and decided to make it to PP come hell or high water. After $300 and 2 long cab rides I made it. So, I'm at the Paragon with the rest of the group who have made it so far.

Today I went to the market with some of the folks and bought a bike - now affectionately known as Rocinante.

Hope to see you soon. I've got your phone if you still need it.

Ken
__________________
Latin American Ride Reports link
5th Annual Latin American Rider's Rally

No, it's not a Harley , it's a BMW.
Nata Harli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:21 AM   #59
Digiamo
Dan nyc
 
Digiamo's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: NYC, currently in a tank slapper
Oddometer: 805
It looks like We have eight so far with more to come.
We have a hand shake on several 100 & 125 scooters. Quite a hectic day but rewarding in the comfort of knowing we have bikes and many great photos of the dealer location and much more.



Droid S 3 & TT2
Digiamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:42 AM   #60
Digiamo
Dan nyc
 
Digiamo's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: NYC, currently in a tank slapper
Oddometer: 805
Joe, George, Raven and me made it to Siem Reap from PP with but plenty of dust and diesel smoke impacted into our gear and exposed skin.

....FF to this morning. :)
Joe and I reluctantly responded to the 4AM alarm with the question, "Hope this is worth it". Our arranged and so far, faithful Tuk Tuk driver was 7 minutes earlier than the agreed time of 5AM. Out in moderate traffic and pitch blackness, we continued to wonder " Wat's the draw"
George, Joe and I found coffee at the drop off point as all westerners needs are filled even in predawn blackness. We'll use that photo for the next coffee thread start. :)
Flashlights were being sold and bought as there are no overhead lights where we crossed the uneven causeway to the sunrise viewing area.
I was glad I downloaded the flashlight app on my Droid.

Standing at a large pond bank at 5:30AM we geared up for and hour long wait for the sun to appear. I took out the large laser diffuser I bought in Bangkok and started playing around, half expecting someone to tell me to stop. This thing is very powerful and easily lit up things at great distances with the diffuser off the tip. With the diffuser on I was able to light up the entire palm tree we stood under like it was Christmas with a thousand tiny Laser beams scurrying in every direction like confused insects.

This seemed to attract people toward out location and turned out to be another way to break ice with other travelers.
Out came the STOC Tag for these two Chinese teachers on holiday:
Attachment 131311


Droid S 3 & TT2
Digiamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014