Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2012, 05:15 AM   #46
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.

Oddometer: 2,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
Aprilia tech showed me his trick.
spray brake degreaser on a rag and wipe new tires. wipes off all the mold release before you use them.
I use starting fluid. Ether cleans anything and evaporates very quickly. Just use in a well ventilated area away from sparks.

OP, glad you're mostly okay.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:13 PM   #47
Nevada
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackx70 View Post
I have gone through 4 sets of tires in my short riding career and have yet to have any issues. I don't know.
It only takes one to bite you. I was on my 5th new (2nd front), 150 yards from starting point when it washed out on me. Take the "new tires are slippery" meme to heart, it is not merely an urban myth.
Nevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:04 PM   #48
brenter
Brenter

Oddometer: 362
going down

I had a brand new 05 LT and got a nail in the front tire. I took the wheel off and had a new tire installed. Never thought about the new tire being slick(never had a problem in 30 years of riding). Went to the first intersection which was a divided highway, went accross the first two lanes and turned left with a sporty lean and down my brand new 2000 mile bike went. I landed in the left lane, thank God there were not cars coming from behind me! The bike must have slid a 100 yards going in to the right lane and eventually curving back towards the median. About the time the LT got to the grass median it finally stopped. The damage was bad, but not as bad as I had imagined. I just had jeans on with a protective jacket and gloves. The jeans tore and I got a pretty good rash on the knee, other than that it was just pride.
That was a hard way to learn a lesson, but I always find a gravel road now and take it real easy unitl I get there.
brenter is offline   Reply With Quote