User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2013, 09:00 AM   #1
Tyler OP
Miss Demeanor

Oddometer: 307
A California Girl's Rideabout in Washington & Oregon

As usual, I took a ton of photos... way too many to post. But if anyone is interested in perusing them all, here is the link.

Last year, CanAm introduced a new Spyder model, the ST. Previously, there were two models - the RS (Sport) and the RT (Tourer). The ST is a blend of the two bikes - retaining the sport look of the RS but adding a lot of really nice features of the RT (heated grips, cruise control, GPS, floorboards, stereo/MP3) as well as a reworked chassis/frame making the handling much better.

I had been curious about the ST so decided to take one for a test ride about a month ago. A week later, I picked up my new ST on a Friday and left the next day for a 2-week road trip to Oregon and Washington... nothing like trial by fire! She was named on the trip when Sue mentioned that, due to the paint that has colored flake in it making for different looking colors in different lighting, it had multiple personalities. Sybil it shall be!!

The first day of the trip wasn't real exciting... pretty much I5 all the way to Shady Cove, OR where I would meet up with a few others. Given the bike was brand new, I had to play the varying rpm's game most of the way on the freeway... drop behind a truck and follow at 55, downshift, speed up, pass truck, hold between 70-75 until coming up to the next truck... rinse, repeat... at least it gave me something to do along the drab slab.

I was the first to arrive at the Royal Coachman Motel in Shady Cove. I highly recommend this place - the new owners are working really hard to erase a tarnished history from the previous owners. They've done a fantastic job of sprucing the place up with lovely flower beds, etc. and the prices can't be beat.

While others were arriving and unpacking, I wandered out to the river area behind the motel where there were a gaggle of geese relaxing in the cool water that mirrored the colors of the setting sun reflecting on the surrounding trees...

It was a warm evening so we decided to go to the diner next door, get our food to go, and eat it out on the communal deck by the river...

We were spared the extra $5...

And our beverage of choice for most of the trip... packs well, no glass to break, and easy to take leftovers...

All of a sudden, there was a huge goose ruckus down below... seems a solitary interloper tried to infiltrate the gaggle and was fought off by Guido, the lead goose...

Off to bed for a good night's rest under the watchful guise of our cowboy protector for the night...

To be continued... B)

Dangerous Curves
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:00 AM   #2
Tyler OP
Miss Demeanor

The next morning dawned warm and sunny... the sprinklers watered the plethora of flora and created rainbows in the morning sun...

And we were off along 227, headed for Yachats (pronounced yah-hawts for those like me who didn't know this!) where we saw covered bridges...

Beautiful countryside...

And breathtaking coastal views at Cape Perpetua Lookout...

The road up to the lookout was lined with wildflowers galore...

Which had Sue all up in arms...

We had originally thought to try NF-55 but when we reached gravel, decided to turn back and stick with the paved passage to Yachats...

Some views around the Yachats Inn...

And they say motorcycling is crazy...

Nice view from the hot tub...

Sunset view from our room...

Dinner of champions...

More to come...

Dangerous Curves
Old 08-15-2013, 09:01 AM   #3
Tyler OP
Miss Demeanor

When we had arrived at Yachats, Patrick mentioned that there was something weird going on with his bike... Scott took it for a test spin and agreed on the weirdness... seems the bottom bolt of the final drive had fallen out...

Sue and I reviewing and tweaking the plan for the day...

There was much brainstorming and a couple of runs to various stores and a MacGyver solution was found... remove top bolt and use it as a bottom bolt, use plastic wine stopper as top "bolt", cut off the top of the stopper and duct tape that sucker in place... voila!! We were good to go again!!

A quick stop at the hardware store in Newport produced a replacement bolt for Patrick's final drive and then we were off to meet Pashnit friend, BruceH, for breakfast by the bay...

Food was awesome, company was great, and the views were awesome... thanks for the tip on a great place to eat, Bruce! :)

Continuing north up along the coast on 101...

Just enjoying the moment...

Scott being Scott...

Dangerous Curves
Old 08-15-2013, 09:01 AM   #4
Tyler OP
Miss Demeanor

Up to Cape Meares to visit the lighthouse... the road looks pretty good from this shot, huh?

Well, looks can be deceiving... there were some gnarly pot holes and Sue hit one and her entire license plate and frame flew off her bike... luckily Patrick & Stevie saw it so they were able to retrieve it... made for a good mug shot too... wanted in OR for misdemeanor tricycling in public...

Our route for this day looked like this... I can highly recommend OR 53 aka Necanicum Hwy... I don't have one photo of it because it was too much of an EFFING BLAST so I just rode it like I stole it and had one helluva good time on the new steed... yes, the handling on the ST is WAY better!

Until landing in Astoria for the night...

Dangerous Curves
Old 08-15-2013, 09:02 AM   #5
Tyler OP
Miss Demeanor

I booked the family suite for Scott/Sue and I... this was my part of the suite...

It was Scott's birthday... so he started the celebration with a cup of juice and crackers with cheese...

He got a special dessert for eating all his dinner...

And then all hell broke loose when he stole someone's wheels and went carousing in the parking lot... some people just never grow up... and that's not a bad thing! :)

Some views of the bay at Astoria... it was a lovely evening...

And the next morning...

No ABS?? Fuggedaboutit!!!

Next up... Mt. St. Helens, Windy Ridge, wedging five people in a 5th wheel in Auburn, and Mt. Rainier with the PNW crew... stay tuned!

Dangerous Curves
Old 08-15-2013, 09:03 AM   #6
Tyler OP
Miss Demeanor

Next up was Mt. St. Helens and Windy Ridge on our way into Auburn to stay with friends, Bryan and Marissa... I had tried to ride NF-25 last summer on my way back from Canada but at the end of June it was still closed due to snow, mudslides, and a bridge being out... this year we hit it at just the right time...

They knew I was coming...

The skies looked threatening as we departed Astoria but we only got gently spit upon occasionally...

We rode NF-90 through the town of Cougar (no smart aleck comments, tyvm) and then onto NF-25 which was gorgeous...

We had packed a picnic lunch and after what seemed like forever, I finally found a suitable picnic spot for everyone...

Everything is lush and green but there's a reason for that given the WA rainfall... but we reaped the green reward without getting soaked... :)

Even the rocks were prolific...

And then we had our first sighting of Mt. St. Helens...

Dangerous Curves
Old 08-15-2013, 09:03 AM   #7
Tyler OP
Miss Demeanor

Continuing along NF-25, we took the turn off for Windy Ridge allowing us some breathtaking views of MSH and the surrounding area...

Stevie and Patrick from far away...

Really love the versatility of the 18-200mm lens... this is where I was standing when I took the shot above...

Next to the mountain...

You could climb these stairs to be even with the top of MSH... that's Scott down in the right hand corner for scale on how many stairs you had to climb...

You can still see evidence of the devastation from three decades ago... but amazing the fortitude of Mother Nature...

Scott & Sue, husband & wife moto team, on their way back out to NF-25...

The eastern side of NF-25 is more like Mr. Toad's Wild Ride... potholes galore, ueven pavement, lumps and bumps... it was quite exciting for everyone and I bottomed out the new bike once or twice on an unseen dip or two... this machine was definitely getting broken in!

We then high-tailed it via 123 and 410 into Auburn... it was gorgeous country but it was getting late and we were concerned about deer so no stopping other than to put on some more layers... as we got closer to Auburn, I could see the sunset putting on a show through the trees... finally we broke into the open and I stopped to snap a couple of photos... my traveling companions saw only the power lines... I only saw the sunset...

We arrived at Bryan and Marissa's... their house is one level down from the dirt road and the driveway leading down, down, down was a bit off-putting to say the least... the 5th wheel we would be staying in was one level down further from the house... the first time down was a bit nerve wracking but everyone made it down without incident to our home away from home for the next three nights...

Marissa had cooked us dinner and was holding it for us since we got in later than anticipated... they are fantastic hosts and the 5th wheel was well stocked with breakfast goodies, beverages, towels, etc... we were a tight knit bunch and got to know each other just a little bit better than we did before...

Scott was very uncomfortable with his surroundings... we just couldn't get him to relax...

Fearless but friendly watch dog, Charlie, who wasn't sure what to make of us at first then then warmed up to everyone and we were all buddies...

We all drifted off to sleep in our Rubiks cube of a trailer and slept quite soundly...

But wait... there's more!! :)

Dangerous Curves
Old 08-15-2013, 09:16 AM   #8
MaverickChick
I do my own stunts.

Oddometer: 462
Suhweet! Digging the pictures
Old 08-15-2013, 10:05 AM   #9
lvscrvs
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Great photos Tyler... you guys found some sweet roads.

Tiger 955i / Yamaha WR250R < Tiger 955i / DRZ400S / R1150GS < FJR1300 < DL1000 < BMW R1100RS < Ducati ST4 < DL650 zzzzz 30+ years zzzzz 125 Honda Elsinore < Suzuki TM250 < Yamaha 90 Enduro < Taco
lvscrvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:50 AM   #10
Tommy J
Dockworker

Oddometer: 85
Hi Tyler, great pics and waiting for more.
'75 HONDA CB400F
Tommy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:56 AM   #11
Ravenslair
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
You have an eye for the right picture. Cannot wait to see more.
Ravenslair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:08 PM   #12
Tyler OP
Miss Demeanor

Thanks for the kind comments... one of the things I love about riding is sharing it with others and hopefully inspiring y'all to get out there and experience the world firsthand!

Dangerous Curves
Old 08-15-2013, 02:08 PM   #13
Tyler OP
Miss Demeanor

The original schedule had us going to Rainier on Wednesday but due to the fact that I was way overdue for the 600-mile check in on the new machine, and Sue needed new tires (no trip is complete without changing a tire with the Wades), Scott had lost something on one his tires, and Patrick needed that final drive checked out, it was decided to spend the day supporting the local moto economy and get things all squared away.

I sat at Starbucks perusing the web while Sybil got all spiffed up... they even washed her for me! When I went to pick her up, there was a lurker, um, I mean, gent from the FJRforum, BruceK, who had been monitoring my whereabouts and decided to swing by the dealer and say hi. Lucky for me/us, he guided me to the BMW dealer where everyone else was and then into downtown Tacoma for some lunch (our waitress was Snow White in another life... that voice!!) and to visit the Museum of Glass and the Chihuly Bridge of Glass.

I wished we had my friend, Dorothy, with us for this visit as I'm sure she would have been a huge source of information on they processes and materials used to create some of the fantastic art...

Glassblowing demonstrations inside the huge Hot Shop Amphitheater...

Looking up...

And the outside view on the way to the Bridge of Glass...

Dangerous Curves
Old 08-15-2013, 02:09 PM   #14
Tyler OP
Miss Demeanor

The Chihuly Bridge of Glass is a 500-foot pedestrian overpass that crosses the busy freeway below. You can read more about it here if interested: 0
http://museumofglass.org/outdoor-art...ridge-of-glass

Crystal Towers... you can see Stevie in the right hand corner which gives the wall some scale...

Sky reflection...

Seaform Pavilion, a ceiling made of 2,364 objects... reminscent of the ceiling in the lobby of the Bellagio in Vegas...

Friend reflection...

I love the older brick buildings in the area... you can see the refelction of the Hot Shop in the windows...

And then it was back to our humble home away from home... one of the neigh-bors out back coming over to say hi...

And a gathering of PNW friends for a bbq and catching up... it was an awesome evening!

The next day... Mt. Rainier... FINALLY!!

Dangerous Curves
Old 08-15-2013, 02:09 PM   #15
Tyler OP
Miss Demeanor

The day started out overcast but it would turn out to be a brilliant day... one of the very best of the year for sightseeing at Mt. Rainier... we gathered at the top of Thunderdriveway and were joined by Dave/Niehart, Kevin/Panman, BruceK, and Jim/Fontanaman...

The first stop of the day was at Crystal Mountain where we took the gondola to the top of the mountain and had a stellar view of the surrounding grandeur... crystal clear blue skies, no haze, and mid-70s... yup it was a perfect day...

There goes Scott again... getting all uptight...

Can you hear me now?

Yours truly... there are some moments that can overwhelm a person... given I almost died about four years ago, to stand in witness to such beauty definitely gives one pause on the blessings that surround us in our world... I was feeling it most definitely at this moment... grateful for being alive, for being where I was, seeing it in person, and most of all for the blessings of the friends in my life to share it all with...

Dangerous Curves