ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2012, 12:52 PM   #31
pacman1
Beastly Adventurer
 
pacman1's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Burleson, Texas
Oddometer: 1,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by groundrules View Post
I don't buy this notion that you have to tinker with an Android phone. I've had a Galaxy S for a while, and i don't do shit to it. It just flat works. I've never NOT found an App I was looking for. I've never had to plug it into my computer. I've never had to sync anything. when I want to move a bunch of pictures or videos, I can do that by simply moving the SD card to another device. no iTunes, no cords, no device recognition, no Apple tech support, blah blah..

+eleventybillion
__________________
_______________________
Wayne
Honda Blackbird
Burleson, Texas


pacman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:20 PM   #32
Dukeryder
 
Dukeryder's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Pinewood Springs, Co
Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
do get sick of Apple's my way or the highway... but iphone does work good. there's work around if one really digs...

for instance, Apple wouldn't let you transfer songs not purchased at itunes store. what a bunch of crap! those songs were from CD and records I own.

finally found Mediamonkey that bypassed Apple's control.

here's an interesting test: iPhone 5 vs Samsung Galaxy S3 Drop Test
I don't know what you're doing wrong, but I've got 1000s of .mp3s in my iTunes and they've transferred from iTunes to iPod, iPhone & iPad without issue as well as transferring from PC to PC over the years. I've purchased 2 yes 2 albums from iTunes in my life. So I don't know what you're doing differently.

Apple wins in the hardware department hands down. Their shit just works and it lasts, my iPhone 3GS is over 3 years old, I've owned Cellphones since 1996 (Nokia 1610) and I've yet to have any last this long let alone a single battery!

Apple might have more controls and what not but if this were not the case the average user would experience more glitches and software crashes. I've had to do a hard reset 1x in 3 years with the iPhone, people I know with Androids need to do it often and regularly have software updating problems.

Only the most hardcore geeky developer types benefit from the Android platform. The other 99% of us don't need it. I LOVE the fact that Android exists because it keeps Apple on their game and they're always a step ahead.
__________________


Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:34 AM   #33
max384
Disgruntled Student
 
max384's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Sugar Notch, PA
Oddometer: 3,136
After almost five years using iPhones, I'm ready to make a switch. I'm sick to death of iTunes and not being able to just transfer files on my computer without plugging into that God-awful program. I hate that there is no slot for external storage and you can't swap batteries. I also hate the constant mobile charger problems I've had with every iPhone I've owned. However, there are things I like about it too. The availability of apps is amazing, the aftermarket accessories are plentiful, and the ability to call up customer support and talk to an English-speaking person on this side of the pond is a welcome change from how things generally are now.


I've about made my mind up on the Galaxy SIII. Does anyone who has one know of any good weatherproof motorcycle mounts for it? I've done a few searches and haven't turned up anything that really catches my eye... But if there's one thing I've learned from asking questions on forums, it's that my Google-fu is weak!
__________________
'09 Suzuki SV650, '02 KLR250, CRF70 and 80 for the kids IBA # 56419

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:56 PM   #34
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer
 
PoundSand's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: socal
Oddometer: 5,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder View Post
Apple wins in the hardware department hands down. Their shit just works and it lasts, my iPhone 3GS is over 3 years old, I've owned Cellphones since 1996 (Nokia 1610) and I've yet to have any last this long let alone a single battery!
A phone lasting 3 years isn't exactly special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder View Post
I've had to do a hard reset 1x in 3 years with the iPhone, people I know with Androids need to do it often and regularly have software updating problems.
And I've had no hard resets in 3 years on android, nor has my wife (4 years). Nor did I on webos, iOS, or winmo before that. Oh yeah, not on my BlackBerry either. Your phone sucks. ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder View Post
Only the most hardcore geeky developer types benefit from the Android platform. The other 99% of us don't need it.
But many of us prefer it anyway. :cool:
PoundSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:40 PM   #35
Aghartha
Awesome
 
Aghartha's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder View Post
Only the most hardcore geeky developer types benefit from the Android platform.
Hahaha what?
Aghartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:49 PM   #36
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe
 
Hay Ewe's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: FNQ - AUS
Oddometer: 2,575
what a good simple forum for a Galaxy S2?
I want to move stuff around on the screen, maybe write an app or two and jsut learn more about it

tahnks
Hay Ewe
__________________
Moments before you die, your life will flash before your eyes - make sure the film is worth watching - my Grandad
I like your logic - its alternative - Ninja Wranga 03-Aug-13
WWBD? -
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:00 PM   #37
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer
 
PoundSand's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: socal
Oddometer: 5,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hay Ewe View Post
what a good simple forum for a Galaxy S2?
I want to move stuff around on the screen, maybe write an app or two and jsut learn more about it
Move stuff around? Long click and drag.

Developing: http://developer.android.com/trainin...app/index.html
PoundSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:51 AM   #38
seuadr
Wee-stromer
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Eaton Rapids,mi
Oddometer: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundSand View Post
A phone lasting 3 years isn't exactly special.



And I've had no hard resets in 3 years on android, nor has my wife (4 years). Nor did I on webos, iOS, or winmo before that. Oh yeah, not on my BlackBerry either. Your phone sucks. ;)

comming up on 3 years with my original evo, haven't had a reset, or a battery replacement or anything either. We must be doing something wrong
seuadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:05 AM   #39
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe
 
Hay Ewe's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: FNQ - AUS
Oddometer: 2,575
[QUOTE=PoundSand;19793144]Move stuff around? Long click and drag.
/QUOTE]

I had the message icon on bottom of the screen / desktop and some how it has moved to the screen and moves as i swipe from left to right / right to left (change desktop screens) i want to put it back on the tool bar at the bottom, if I long press and drag i can only take it the trash can.

They didnt know how to do it at the shop either....

thanks

thanks for the link too

Hay Ewe
__________________
Moments before you die, your life will flash before your eyes - make sure the film is worth watching - my Grandad
I like your logic - its alternative - Ninja Wranga 03-Aug-13
WWBD? -
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:28 AM   #40
Retro
Just the Facts Ma'am
 
Retro's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: Virginia
Oddometer: 33,265
My contract comes up in December. I've been using a Droid X, which has been a great phone. Thinking about the Galaxy III or even the IPhone 5. I can see no reason to leave the Droid platform, and I don't doubt Apple makes good stuff. But I use Spotify for music and it works great. Importing is simple and done via wireless. I don't even have to physically connect to a computer. As for ITunes, I have it on my PC, but I hate it.

Haven't heard a compelling argument for going Apple on an item that is going to be replaced every 18 to 24 months.
__________________
I'm just lookin' for clues at the scene of the crime.

Quis custodiet ipros custodes?
Retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:53 AM   #41
Aghartha
Awesome
 
Aghartha's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro View Post
My contract comes up in December. I've been using a Droid X, which has been a great phone. Thinking about the Galaxy III or even the IPhone 5. I can see no reason to leave the Droid platform, and I don't doubt Apple makes good stuff. But I use Spotify for music and it works great. Importing is simple and done via wireless. I don't even have to physically connect to a computer. As for ITunes, I have it on my PC, but I hate it.

Haven't heard a compelling argument for going Apple on an item that is going to be replaced every 18 to 24 months.
Spotify is available for both platforms.
Aghartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:46 PM   #42
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer
 
PoundSand's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: socal
Oddometer: 5,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hay Ewe View Post
I had the message icon on bottom of the screen / desktop and some how it has moved to the screen and moves as i swipe from left to right / right to left (change desktop screens) i want to put it back on the tool bar at the bottom, if I long press and drag i can only take it the trash can.

They didnt know how to do it at the shop either....

thanks

thanks for the link too

Hay Ewe
Open the app drawer, then long click and drag to put it back in the bottom.
PoundSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:04 PM   #43
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams
 
levain's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Providence, RI
Oddometer: 6,987
Back on this thing.

Music is the biggie for me. How do you guys manage your music on Android? I just downloaded the music manager from Google to play with, but I'm not sure about that. I mean, keeping all my music online? I'm on the fence about that. Do you guys just rip into a music file, then drag/drop onto the phone? The more I research, the more confused I get

Lets say I did use google play (MM). Does that mean I need to be online for my music? Anyway, I'd probably just put a big ass sd card in the phone and not bother with that.

__________________
Click Here!
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 XC
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:25 PM   #44
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer
 
PoundSand's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: socal
Oddometer: 5,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Back on this thing.

Music is the biggie for me. How do you guys manage your music on Android? I just downloaded the music manager from Google to play with, but I'm not sure about that. I mean, keeping all my music online? I'm on the fence about that. Do you guys just rip into a music file, then drag/drop onto the phone? The more I research, the more confused I get

Lets say I did use google play (MM). Does that mean I need to be online for my music? Anyway, I'd probably just put a big ass sd card in the phone and not bother with that.

The google music manager app syncs your music, so it's both on line and local.
PoundSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:28 PM   #45
NJ Moto
Running Free
 
NJ Moto's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Bergen County, NJ
Oddometer: 7,405
I just pull the micro sd card from my phone, pop it into my computer, drag music onto it and pop it back into the phone.
__________________
Every ride is an adventure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuKeu...feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYqF_BtIwAU
"Can we get a party to finally represent us?" - Cenk Uygur
NJ Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014