Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2012, 02:06 PM   #151
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZbiker View Post
Safety should not be the deciding factor, choice and freedom should.

Texas allows adults to choose whether or not to protect themselves.
You do not have to have a helmet if you are over 21 and have decent medical insurance.

However, I have never heard of anyone being stopped and questioned for proof of said insurance while riding without a helmet, so I guess in practice it is a pointless law.
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:21 PM   #152
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
Traffic laws are like the weather, road conditions, traffic, and everything else that makes up your riding environment, You need to learn how to deal with the conditions of your riding environment as they really are, not how you wish they would be.
Luckily, of all the conditions traffic laws are by far the least influencing one when it comes to motorcycling.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:37 PM   #153
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Oddometer: 28,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSAragazzi View Post
Here in TX it's illegal to split lanes in moving traffic, so my question is not in regards to legality but safety. Is it ok to filter thru when reaching an intersection to be in front and not trapped in between cars (who are checking Facebook, answering calls and returning txts)? I've been riding for 20 or so yrs -sport bikes- this is my first Dual sport and I've noticed a different attitude towards me without me changing any of my riding habits. I would like to keep that going .Just don't feel like getting plowed from my 6 or cut into while waiting for a light to turn in exchange. Then again, I am enjoying this new "friendly" attitude towards me and the bike I ride.
So what's your call? yes: get to the front ( piss cagers off), or no: wait in line (just don't get killed).
Cheers
I split here in TX when I feel the need, fuck the traffic and fuck the BS tickets.

I have passed a cop a time or two going down 35 from Denton to Downtown Ft. Worth. Did not even phase them. One, how are they going to catch you? They are stuck in traffic.

Anyone that has rode with me can vouch I think that way. I am not right, I know that, but I can use the "safety" excuse to get away with it.
People here will TRY to cut you off (happens about one out of every 1,000 cars I pass), honk the horn and give you the single finger salute. I laugh knowing they are pissed they are still stuck in traffic. I even consider my I-45, highway speed (read 10 to 15 over) lane splitting behind 3 asshats all going the same speed and all 3 lanes blocked, I call it a public service. Why?
Because one of the idiots slows the fuck down thinking I am running from the cops, thus leaving a gap for other motorist to make thier way around the 3 stooges. Now at this time traffic is becoming unclogged and returning to normal. My job is done here.

SO, you see, riding like an asshole is actually helping your fellow commuters and weekend shopping sheep.
Truckin_Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:46 PM   #154
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
You sir, do not understand the liberal mindset!

Jim
Nope. Never had, never will.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:04 PM   #155
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
i all ways filter to the front of traffic were safe. as in the UK by law you can filter and car driver will move over and let you past.
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:26 PM   #156
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,961
My answer to the original post would be No - unless you're in a state or area that allows it.

The guys who do it are usually young punks who are too lazy to spell out words, anyway (like "Is it ok to filter to b 1st?"), and who would want to be associated with that type anyway?

Really, I see a connection between that writing style and the punks... I'm sure the original poster doesn't though.
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:08 PM   #157
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Oddometer: 28,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
My answer to the original post would be No - unless you're in a state or area that allows it.

The guys who do it are usually young punks who are too lazy to spell out words, anyway (like "Is it ok to filter to b 1st?"), and who would want to be associated with that type anyway?

Really, I see a connection between that writing style and the punks... I'm sure the original poster doesn't though.
Thanx! I take that as a compliment
Truckin_Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:42 PM   #158
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckin_Thumper View Post
Thanx! I take that as a compliment
Me too!

derek

Old 10-14-2012, 08:15 PM   #159
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 22,897
Quote:
all the "safety" arguments for and against are just smoke and mirrors.
Let me tell you about the time I was slabbing home on 580 eastbound in the #1 lane just west of Pleasanton. Well, there is typically a huge backup in that area, going from 4 or 5 lanes doing 80mph to 4 or 5 lanes doing 5mph. There was a driver trailing behind me a bit that got my attention and sure enough PLOWED into the back of the vehicle that I was behind a split second before.

It was because I am comfortable in the space between cars that I'm here today, and for no other reason.
Human Ills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:25 PM   #160
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Ills View Post
Let me tell you about the time I was slabbing home on 580 eastbound in the #1 lane just west of Pleasanton. Well, there is typically a huge backup in that area, going from 4 or 5 lanes doing 80mph to 4 or 5 lanes doing 5mph. There was a driver trailing behind me a bit that got my attention and sure enough PLOWED into the back of the vehicle that I was behind a split second before.

It was because I am comfortable in the space between cars that I'm here today, and for no other reason.
And in a panic situation we typically revert to our training.

So training to be comfortable in the gaps between cars is a better plan than not training and just improvising.

Whoda thunk it?

derek

Old 10-14-2012, 08:52 PM   #161
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
"Loud pipes saves lives"

"had to lay er down"

"splitting for safety"

"10 over for safety"

"Wheeling for railroad tracks"

"standing to see"

I have split" illegally", would like to do legally, and have no arguments against it.
I'm not going to use "what if's" to excuse my desires be it splitting, standing, speeding, what ever. Sometimes I do them in reaction to a situation, sometimes I do them because I want to, but I'm always honest with myself, don't insult the intellegence of others, or try to snow job the ignorant.

Doing it when actually needed but technically illegal is beyond the scope of this academic debate.

Ride your ride and take your medicine.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:46 AM   #162
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 49,313
Quote:
"Loud pipes saves lives"

"had to lay er down"

"splitting for safety"

"10 over for safety"

"standing to see"

I have split" illegally", would like to do legally, and have no arguments against it.
I'm not going to use "what if's" to excuse my desires be it splitting, standing, speeding, what ever. Sometimes I do them in reaction to a situation, sometimes I do them because I want to, but I'm always honest with myself, don't insult the intellegence of others, or try to snow job the ignorant.

Doing it when actually needed but technically illegal is beyond the scope of this academic debate.

Ride your ride and take your medicine.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:53 AM   #163
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,331
Quote:
"Loud pipes saves lives"

"had to lay er down"

"splitting for safety"

"10 over for safety"

"standing to see" ...
Interesting mix.

"Loud pipes saves lives" -- Rarely true, but possible. Sometimes the noise provides a clue to others. I don't find that worth the bad side of it.

"had to lay er down" -- False. You're right about this one.

"splitting for safety" -- Generally true. Splitting is safer, unless someone intentionally tries to hurt you for doing it.

"10 over for safety" -- Sort of true. In a car, the safest speed is the same as everyone else, keeping with the general flow of traffic. On a bike, the safest speed is just slightly faster than the general flow of traffic.

"Wheeling for railroad tracks" -- Sort of true. The best is to cross the tracks at as close to a right angle as possible, but if it is at an acute angle, that can be an edge trap for the front wheel, and getting it up and over might be the best answer.

"standing to see" -- How is that not true? Standing gives you a better field of vision, and can be useful.

Don't give up your day job and apply to work at MythBusters just yet.

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (235,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:28 AM   #164
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZbiker View Post
And in a panic situation we typically revert to our training.

So training to be comfortable in the gaps between cars is a better plan than not training and just improvising.

Whoda thunk it?
Please explain to me how I made the wrong choice, you are very unclear.

Again. Slabbing on a congested freeway in the #1 lane. (this means cars ALL around doing 80)

Coming up to stopped traffic on freeway. (this means ALL cars which were previously doing 80 are now hard on their brakes)

Car behind me doesn't hit brakes. ( This means I am either occupying a space which is going to disappear or I'm between lanes or I'm on the shoulder (which is chock full of debris) because there are NO gaps IN LANES to be had)

I'm waiting for your very sage (I'm sure) response. With bated breath and all that.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:33 AM   #165
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
Interesting mix.

"Loud pipes saves lives" -- Rarely true, but possible. Sometimes the noise provides a clue to others. I don't find that worth the bad side of it.

"had to lay er down" -- False. You're right about this one.

"splitting for safety" -- Generally true. Splitting is safer, unless someone intentionally tries to hurt you for doing it.

"10 over for safety" -- Sort of true. In a car, the safest speed is the same as everyone else, keeping with the general flow of traffic. On a bike, the safest speed is just slightly faster than the general flow of traffic.

"Wheeling for railroad tracks" -- Sort of true. The best is to cross the tracks at as close to a right angle as possible, but if it is at an acute angle, that can be an edge trap for the front wheel, and getting it up and over might be the best answer.

"standing to see" -- How is that not true? Standing gives you a better field of vision, and can be useful.

Don't give up your day job and apply to work at MythBusters just yet.

PhilB
yup. Even in a car, I prefer to engage with traffic from the front than the rear. It's safer to drive looking out the windshield than spending too much time driving in the rearview mirrors. (note I said "too much" time)