Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 08:48 AM   #121
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
Hey Jim,

My post was in direct response to Windmills post. He clearly stated that a pro-safety argument was without merit.
You are 100% wrong, you need to read my posts again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post

When permitted, the benefits of splitting and filtering far outweigh any additional risk or hurt feelings, even where illegal there are going to be times where it's going to be necessary or prudent, and the negatives have also been covered.
All I'm really trying to say is we should acknowledge that when we choose to not follow the law we are in the wrong, and do it with discretion, reserving it for when really necessary. We shouldn't be using "safety" as an excuse to do it habitually, thats no better than the "loud pipes save lives" crowd, were not fooling anybody but ourselves when we do.

What I am saying is claiming that it's necessary for safety and using that excuse to do it habitually has no merit. Filtering or splitting where illegal is trading one unlikely threat for another unlikely threat, it's playing "what if" and hand picking what suits your desire to filter or split all the time.

I agree that filtering and splitting do have safety and convenience benefits, and are not "cutting line" where legal. It's just not a decision we have the right to make as individuals and is counter productive in the long run.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:53 AM   #122
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
WTF? Blah, blah,blah, blah and some blathering....

You'd better shut it down, your post count is outta control!!

I try to time intersections for a green light or cars already stopped just so I can filter to be safe from rear enders. Had one the other day where I had to stop first in line, I could see the van coming up behind me was hard on the brakes nosed over, I had to hit the gas on red, he stopped in the crosswalk while I had to move over the crosswalk to avoid a killing...man, sure wish I could have filtered on that one.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:05 AM   #123
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,120
Quote:
You are 100% wrong, you need to read my posts again.

What I am saying is claiming that it's necessary for safety and using that excuse to do it habitually has no merit. Filtering or splitting where illegal is trading one unlikely threat for another unlikely threat, it's playing "what if" and hand picking what suits your desire to filter or split all the time.

I agree that filtering and splitting do have safety and convenience benefits, and are not "cutting line" where legal. It's just not a decision we have the right to make as individuals and is counter productive in the long run.

Thank you for clarifying. I mistook what it was that you were trying to convey and I apologize for attacking you on a point that you never made.

Regarding the part that I have underlined: While filtering is not legal here I do make the choice to do it when I feel that safety may be an issue. When my choice is to be legal or to be safe I will choose my own safety every time. Legality will take a back seat in every instance. I won't be any help to anyone in the long run if I am not around to speak up.
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:25 AM   #124
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
Thank you for clarifying. I mistook what it was that you were trying to convey and I apologize for attacking you on a point that you never made.

Regarding the part that I have underlined: While filtering is not legal here I do make the choice to do it when I feel that safety may be an issue. When my choice is to be legal or to be safe I will choose my own safety every time. Legality will take a back seat in every instance. I won't be any help to anyone in the long run if I am not around to speak up.
I agree with you, legitimate safety concerns trump legality, if there is a clear and present danger beyond some hypothetical "what if", do what ya gotta do.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:54 AM   #125
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 22,245
How is it our fault that most people are too stupid to get out of cages?

The idea that some so-called riders show up on a motorcyclists forum to explain to us that four+ wheeled travel is somehow the "default" transportation and people who have the brains to ride something smaller and more maneuverable AND use that to their advantage are somehow asking for 'special consideration' is FUCKING LAUGHABLE.

Open your god-damned mind before it's too late.
Human Ills is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:12 AM   #126
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZbiker View Post
Exactly how the fuck is your mythical dually going to change lanes when everyone is already stopped and packed in like sardines?
that's a stupid argument and you know it. EVERYbody has seen people making stupid panic lane changes in traffic, and even here in Ca where lane splitting is legal and people are used to it, it's a VERY real danger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZbiker View Post
You are just some chickenshit fucktard that doesn't even bother to list ANYTHING about themselves in their profile.

Feel free to go fuck yourself.
and thanks for the totally irrelevant and abrasive statement that does nothing but reveal so much about yourself
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:14 AM   #127
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
thinking it's OK to skip line, on the other hand, is about as clear an example of an entitlement mentality as you will find.
you've never been to Asia.....

Quote:
Old 10-03-2012, 10:23 AM   #128
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Ills View Post

The idea that some so-called riders show up on a motorcyclists forum to explain to us that four+ wheeled travel is somehow the "default" transportation and people who have the brains to ride something smaller and more maneuverable AND use that to their advantage are somehow asking for 'special consideration' is FUCKING LAUGHABLE.

Lots of people in the building where I work are always fascinated in the fact that I ride every day because most of them have just spent more than an hour in their car to get there.

What's traffic?

I always offer up the idea of them learning how to ride; easing traffic and parking, getting better economy, maybe even being invigorated as you walk into work after a morning ride and its always funny to me that for them it's just not an option.

.....it's fine by me.... crawl on all fours all your life - or learn to walk

Quote:
Old 10-03-2012, 10:36 AM   #129
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
and thanks for the totally irrelevant and abrasive statement that does nothing but reveal so much about yourself
You're welcome.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:19 PM   #130
pretbek
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 879
Quote:
that's a stupid argument and you know it. EVERYbody has seen people making stupid panic lane changes in traffic, and even here in Ca where lane splitting is legal and people are used to it, it's a VERY real danger.
I think his point is that this discussion is about filtering; riding between stationary rows of cars at a stop light.
Not about lane splitting i.e. pass moving traffic.
pretbek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:17 PM   #131
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Quote:
crawl on all fours all your life - or learn to walk

Old 10-03-2012, 02:29 PM   #132
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

I hate cages, if I get in one I find it confining and uncomfortable, I feel trapped and unsafe, and usally get sick to my stomach. I drive big trucks for a living and ride full time for transportation, I rarely get in a cage more than a half dozen times a year.

Cages are the work of the devil.

That said, I understand most folks have other needs and priorities. And on the subject at hand, as a mature adult of a civilized society I realize that I don't get everything my way every time. I hate taxes as much as I hate some traffic laws, but I still pay them.

But look at the bright side, break enough laws you dont like, and you may get free room and board.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:48 PM   #133
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
I hate cages, if I get in one I find it confining and uncomfortable, I feel trapped
solution!

Quote:
Old 10-03-2012, 03:19 PM   #134
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Quote:
I hate cages, if I get in one I find it confining and uncomfortable, I feel trapped and unsafe, and usally get sick to my stomach. I drive big trucks for a living and ride full time for transportation, I rarely get in a cage more than a half dozen times a year.

Cages are the work of the devil.

That said, I understand most folks have other needs and priorities. And on the subject at hand, as a mature adult of a civilized society I realize that I don't get everything my way every time. I hate taxes as much as I hate some traffic laws, but I still pay them.

But look at the bright side, break enough laws you dont like, and you may get free room and board.
Last I checked, self-governance included civil disobedience.

So which laws am I breaking? I find it HIlarious that folks with little experience sharing/filtering AND observing sharing/filtering are going to tell people who know what it's about, what it's about.

If you aren't agitating for reforming your stupid laws, never mind being an apologist for your stupid laws, then you're part of the problem.

Sharing/filtering WORKS for EVERYBODY... even those so ignorant that they don't know it.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:44 PM   #135
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
I find it HIlarious that folks with little experience sharing/filtering AND observing sharing/filtering are going to tell people who know what it's about, what it's about.
this
Quote: