User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2012, 08:35 PM   #1
MILLENNIUM FALCON OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
The Xt400 side car (winter project)

Well Its fall and I cant afford to build another bike this year so I am doing the next best thing. I am building a side car for my xt400 project. At least that is the plan. I am totally new to side cars so this could be interesting. I hope that with the help of some very knowledgeable DTT members I will be able to make this happen. My plan is to use parts I have laying around to build most of it. I would like to build a subframe that will bolt on my bike so the side car can be easily removed If I need to. I am planning on using the swing arm and [u]front[u] wheel off of an xs400 I have for the suspension. The front wheel is an 18 and it has a disc brake I would like to use for the car. It is also not as wide as the rear. From what I have seen/read narrow is better for the car, especially with small cc bikes. I turned down the rear axle on the lathe so it would work with the front wheel. I also had to make some wheel spacers. I still need to make a caliper mount for the swing arm. This project is in the very early stages so any motivation/inspiration is appreciated. Here is a picture of the bike and wheel. This is all I have so far. Ive done more goggling and reading than actual work so far.

MILLENNIUM FALCON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:39 PM   #2
norton(kel)
vintage

Oddometer: 1,011
Subscribed

I'am in! Looking to build a utility rig for my xr500, I'll be following and watching for Ideas.
norton(kel) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:36 AM   #3
MILLENNIUM FALCON OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I've been really busy but I am workin on a design and materials list. I hope to start melting wire soon.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:52 AM   #4
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer: 1,173
Subscribed!

I've been thinking of something for my KLR Jr.. Like a go-kart frame with cargo box and a padded top for the occasional monkey. Biggest challenge I think is fitting the subframe and mounts in a way that still leaves room for my foot and kickstarter follow-through...

This is a Doug Bingham prototype for the Marines. It actually folds up for transport.

I was thinking something like this for suspension:
http://www.southwestwheel.com/store/...rcle-hubs.aspx

No brake, although I think a disc could be added. I would rather beef up my bike front brake with EBC pads, two pot caliper, thicker disk, and stainless line.
The rig would only be for around town and snow day grocery runs. Mainly for the fun of building it.

MotoJ screwed with this post 10-04-2012 at 10:03 AM
MotoJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:06 PM   #5
KneeDrachen
MORE COWBELL!!!

Oddometer: 1,088
Hi Jim!
Old 10-04-2012, 02:39 PM   #6
Leaf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:33 PM   #7
rhino_adv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 628
subscribed

Brad
985+ Old Bridges in Missouri
PAVED ROADS...... ANOTHER PERFECT EXAMPLE OF NEEDLESS, SPENDING BY THE GOVERNMENT"
rhino_adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:45 AM   #8
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneeDrachen View Post
Hi Jim!
Hey Alex! Hope you and all the family's been well! Staying out of the way of large vehicles?
Old 10-05-2012, 06:44 AM   #9
KneeDrachen
MORE COWBELL!!!

Oddometer: 1,088
Ural has been DOA since March, engine grenaded itself and then picked it up on July 12, grenaded itself as I pulled ou tof the shop's lot on the side of 295. Engine is out in Redmond for a full tear down, TI and rebuild.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:17 AM   #10
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneeDrachen View Post
Ural has been DOA since March, engine grenaded itself and then picked it up on July 12, grenaded itself as I pulled ou tof the shop's lot on the side of 295. Engine is out in Redmond for a full tear down, TI and rebuild.
Jeez. My IMZ doesn't seem to want to exercise itself much either. Much rather stay in the shed and get fussed over.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:53 PM   #11
MILLENNIUM FALCON OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah I plan to start the sub frame tomorrow. That will be a pain but once it is done the rest should progress quickly. My bike has electric start that I use about 99% of the time but I would like to be able to use the kicker in an emergency. My biggest problem I think will be the angled adjustable braces that go from the car UP to the bike frame. I saw that little KLR it looks like a functional piece of fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoJ View Post
Subscribed!

I've been thinking of something for my KLR Jr.. Like a go-kart frame with cargo box and a padded top for the occasional monkey. Biggest challenge I think is fitting the subframe and mounts in a way that still leaves room for my foot and kickstarter follow-through...

This is a Doug Bingham prototype for the Marines. It actually folds up for transport.

I was thinking something like this for suspension:
http://www.southwestwheel.com/store/...rcle-hubs.aspx

No brake, although I think a disc could be added. I would rather beef up my bike front brake with EBC pads, two pot caliper, thicker disk, and stainless line.
The rig would only be for around town and snow day grocery runs. Mainly for the fun of building it.

MILLENNIUM FALCON screwed with this post 10-07-2012 at 04:53 PM Reason: typo
Old 10-07-2012, 05:38 PM   #12
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 2,204
Subscribed!

I enjoyed the XT build, this should be good too.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:50 PM   #13
MILLENNIUM FALCON OP
Gnarly Adventurer

it has officially begun!!

Well, I finally got a chance to start working on the sub-frame for the car mounts. I am happy with how it came out. It should be plenty strong. I tied into both foot-peg mounts and the skid-plate mounting bolts. The frame is all one piece. It is mostly 1/4", with the exception of the front mount, that is 3/8" I will be attaching the the hinge points for the car on the flat plate. My plan is to make a big set of hinges out of heavy wall pipe. There will be 2 pieces on the bike and 3 on the car. They will fit together and then a big pin will go through the whole thing. I have a drawing I will post. It took me awhile to get this part figured out but things should roll right along now.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:47 PM   #14
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,382
Looking forward to the build.
Just one point , when you post a pic -hit enter -so the the pics stack instead of string out in a line , which means to veiw you have to scroll sideways. thanks.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:28 PM   #15
grisezd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
I've not done this myself, so first congrats on getting this far! I'm a little worried about your front pickup points, though. Those bolts are going to have to work in shear and I'm afraid they just won't be up to it. Is there a good way to get a larger diameter bolt in there, even if you have to plate it from above?
grisezd is offline   Reply With Quote