User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2012, 12:00 PM   #1
TheOtherBart OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,760
How big of a waste of time was that?

So the hard brake lines going to the back of my truck just completely rusted away and had to be replaced. Instead of dicking around trying to snake lines I decided to go ahead and pull the bed, drop the tank, and replace everything. For being a 15 year old truck I was pleasantly surprised by the condition of the frame and everything, but there was some rust. Since I plan on keeping this truck forever, I decided to do something about it.

Of course since I wasn't stripping the frame bare there was only so much prep I could do. The rust I could get to I hit with a wire wheel, wiped everything down with mineral spirits, hit most of the bare metal with primer, then went nuts with satin black rattle cans.

I know that rust which isn't removed completely will just continue to grow right under the paint, and I know there was plenty that I couldn't or didn't remove, but I looked at it like the pullout method of rust abatement...it may not be all that effective, but it's got to be better than nothing. It's done now, but I'm curious to hear just how effective or helpful people think it might have been.
TheOtherBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:12 PM   #2
seuadr
Wee-stromer

Oddometer: 761
why didn't you use etching primer and/or a rust encapsulator instead of regular paint?
seuadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:25 PM   #3
Lee C
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
Thumb

What make of truck
Lee C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:46 PM   #4
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
Yes, why not POR 15?
Old 10-09-2012, 01:00 PM   #5
TheOtherBart OP
Beastly Adventurer

That might have been better, but I'm not completely convinced. The instructions say that it isn't to be applied over existing paint, and there's no way I could have gotten it on all the rusty spots without getting it on the paint, and stripping the paint wasn't an option for the same access reasons that grinding all of the rust out wasn't possible.

It would have cost a lot more too when you figure the POR and the required topcoat. Not really a dealbreaker, but it's something.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:07 PM   #6
KSJeff
Yea, I'll go

Oddometer: 102
POR 15 only requires a topcoat when exposed to UV light (the sun). Has that changed? I've done several Chevelle frames with Por15 but that's been 10 years ago and they still look great.
KSJeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:42 PM   #7
discochris
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,215
I used Zero-Rust on the frame of my 66 Ford, and it's still holding up well 8 years later.

I painted a trailer this summer with POR 15. We'll see how it holds up. Personally I like the Zero-Rust product better, but I've only found it mail order, while you can get POR products at some retailers (though very few that I've found).
discochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:04 AM   #8
TheOtherBart OP
Beastly Adventurer

With POR what about the issue of existing paint?

And honestly, I know what I did was sub-optimal. I guess what I'm curious to see over time is on a scale of 1 (do nothing) to 10 (strip the truck to the bare frame, sandblast, powdercoat, live happily ever after) whether what I did is closer to a 1 or a 5. Wondered what the inmate experience has been.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:12 PM   #9
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
everything depends on conditions as far as lasting goes. Here in the land of no water or moisture, where we have to look up rust in on the google to see what it looks like, you could paint a frame with water paint and go back ten years later and it would be rust free. I (since of where I live) paint frames and all suspension parts after a deep degreasing or cleaning with standard rustolium satin colors since it seems to keep grunge off better than flat or even gloss colours.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: