Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 11:00 AM   #16
BHW OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,081
I've read that Acura was a little better about fixing the torque converter/transmission issue than Honda was. I've heard mixed reviews on the recall for the transmission issues as well. I plan on doing pretty extensive research on ANY MDX or Pilot I might buy.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:05 AM   #17
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLO LOBO View Post
Ours had the torque convertor fail, and I drove three other '05's that had the tell-tale judder from the failing TC.
This is also a problem in the 2004-06 Saturn Vue which has the same 3.5 V6/5 speed slush box Honda power train. We cured this condition in the wife's by having the dealer do a trans fluid flush using a BG machine. Honda doesn't recommend this but it works (for about 20k miles)if you catch it in time.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:18 AM   #18
Ursa Major
Bemused

Oddometer: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW View Post
Can anyone confirm if either the MDX or Pilot models from 2003-2006 had an auxillary audio input jack for MP3 players? The next vehicle I purchase will HAVE to have this, as neither of my current 2000 year model Toyotas do. The Tundra didn't get one until around 2002.
The 2004 Pilot EX-L (i.e. maxed out config) didn't have an aux jack, which was frustrating (but it did have cassette, woo-hoo!). The 2008 MDX did have one, but that was the next generation, so it may not speak to the 2003-06 MDX.
Thirty years from now there will be a huge amount of oil - and no buyers. Oil will be left in the ground. The Stone Age came to an end, not because we had a lack of stones, and the oil age will come to an end not because we have a lack of oil. - Saudi Oil Minister Sheik Yamani, in 2000
Ursa Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:37 AM   #19
BHW OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yeah, I looked online and discovered that there is an available adaptor that you can buy (about $90) that allows you to use auxillary inputs with the factory radios.

*Looks like this may only be an option on later models. This MAY be a deal breaker....as I do not like aftermarket head units, and HATE the idea of owning yet another vehicle without an auxilliary input! Crap!

BHW screwed with this post 10-02-2012 at 02:42 PM
BHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:49 PM   #20
Guano11
Half Decaf

Oddometer: 1,204
2005 Pilot here, 50,000 miles, no real issues. Our 3rd row got used a lot; it was among the most spacious of it's kind in '05, and appeased Guanowife's minivan aversion. MDX is a bit smaller, but supposedly better-appointed; worth noting the MDX's AC is actually given a BTU rating, a testament to its output. Feels much smaller on the inside, though.

Pilot is a pretty dull drive IMO; bigger & more cumbersome than I prefer. I choose our old RAV4 when I have to drive, much more sprightly (but waay nosier). Mounted Michelin Lattitudes on both the RAV and the Pilot and they've made a world of difference in diminishing road noise (at a price, but worth it). But I never thought the Pilot was noisy in the first place....

Regarding the transmission: Book recommends a complete flush & fill at 45K, but the dealer will only drain & refill once, changing only about 1/3 of the fluid (but charging you for the book service (you have to drive it a bit to get the rest out; book says to drain/refill/drive & repeat 3 times for the 45K service)). At 45K, my fluid was "ok", but not as clean as I'd liked. Now I just drain & refill the tranny once every other oil change. Easy service.

Some nitpicks on an otherwise nice vehicle: LCD backlighting for the center console readouts (stereo, HVAC, etc) is worthless at night, almost unreadable even at full bright. Front/rear audio/video control is not intuitive. Headliner is detached & drooping waay more than it should. And the center armrest looks like it's been underwater for a couple of months, all old, stretched & discolored. In fact, the entire interior fit & finish is sub-par, IMO, with noticeably large gaps between plastic pieces. A-pillars (windshield sideposts) really create a blind spot at intersections -- they're thick and in juuust the right spot to completely block an oncoming motorcycle; you have to physically reposition yourself to look around them.

We get 19mpg consistently in combined city/highway; never seen "high 20's".
Would I buy another? No, too dull. But my wife probably would -- lots of utility & a great family hauler.

Guano11 screwed with this post 10-03-2012 at 03:52 AM Reason: I'm anal.
Guano11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:25 AM   #21
Stromrider 1583
Republican Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,339
2006 Pilot, owned since new. zero issues. I drive from Canada to Mexico and back every year. Best mileage 25.95 MPG, worst 15.06 MPG, average over last 18000km 21.24.

Agree it is a dull drive, but it is a very competent vehicle.

iPod/Sat Radio/MP3 interface is doable for about $150 if you do it yourself. Check with Car Toys, they tell me they have had great luck with the USA Spec PA15HON2 box

only things that would keep me from buying it again are: I'm 6'1" and I'm a bit bit cramped and I doubt that this thing will ever wear out. Got 70,000km out of the original tires and brakes. Tires still had tread, but the sidewalls were cracking from age, brakes still had lining left but I had a small vibration using the brakes at highway speeds.
Stromrider 1583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:43 AM   #22
BHW OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guano11 View Post
2005 Pilot here, 50,000 miles, no real issues. Our 3rd row got used a lot; it was among the most spacious of it's kind in '05, and appeased Guanowife's minivan aversion. MDX is a bit smaller, but supposedly better-appointed; worth noting the MDX's AC is actually given a BTU rating, a testament to its output. Feels much smaller on the inside, though.

Pilot is a pretty dull drive IMO; bigger & more cumbersome than I prefer. I choose our old RAV4 when I have to drive, much more sprightly (but waay nosier). Mounted Michelin Lattitudes on both the RAV and the Pilot and they've made a world of difference in diminishing road noise (at a price, but worth it). But I never thought the Pilot was noisy in the first place....

Regarding the transmission: Book recommends a complete flush & fill at 45K, but the dealer will only drain & refill once, changing only about 1/3 of the fluid (but charging you for the book service (you have to drive it a bit to get the rest out; book says to drain/refill/drive & repeat 3 times for the 45K service)). At 45K, my fluid was "ok", but not as clean as I'd liked. Now I just drain & refill the tranny once every other oil change. Easy service.

Some nitpicks on an otherwise nice vehicle: LCD backlighting for the center console readouts (stereo, HVAC, etc) is worthless at night, almost unreadable even at full bright. Front/rear audio/video control is not intuitive. Headliner is detached & drooping waay more than it should. And the center armrest looks like it's been underwater for a couple of months, all old, stretched & discolored. In fact, the entire interior fit & finish is sub-par, IMO, with noticeably large gaps between plastic pieces. A-pillars (windshield sideposts) really create a blind spot at intersections -- they're thick and in juuust the right spot to completely block an oncoming motorcycle; you have to physically reposition yourself to look around them.

We get 19mpg consistently in combined city/highway; never seen "high 20's".
Would I buy another? No, too dull. But my wife probably would -- lots of utility & a great family hauler.

A lot of your comments go right along with what I've noticed by looking at used ones around here. The MDX is MUCH nicer on the interior. The trim and detailing are high end. The plastic on some of the Pilots looks scratched, dull, faded and just worn out after 5-7 years. The Pilot center armrest lid looks like crap on many I've seen. It looks like the skin on a fat woman who just had liposuction! Lots of discoloration on the "leather" door armrests as well. But the Pilot looks and feels a LOT bigger on the inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromrider 1583 View Post

iPod/Sat Radio/MP3 interface is doable for about $150 if you do it yourself. Check with Car Toys, they tell me they have had great luck with the USA Spec PA15HON2 box

only things that would keep me from buying it again are: I'm 6'1" and I'm a bit bit cramped ...
I read a review from someone who was 6-4" and said they loved the roominess of the Pilot! I'm 6-3" so this concerns me. I'll know more after a test drive.

Apparently, if you get one with the rear entertainment center (tv/dvd) it's very simple to run an auxilliary plug to the front console area and plug in an MP3 player.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:12 AM   #23
Stromrider 1583
Republican Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,339
Quote:
I read a review from someone who was 6-4" and said they loved the roominess of the Pilot! I'm 6-3" so this concerns me. I'll know more after a test drive.

Apparently, if you get one with the rear entertainment center (tv/dvd) it's very simple to run an auxilliary plug to the front console area and plug in an MP3 player.
I wanted to be able to control the iPod with the radio and steering wheel, so an interface was needed.

I have a 34-35" inseam & size 12 feet ... almost all cars are bit short on leg room for me :-(
Stromrider 1583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:25 AM   #24
BHW OP
Beastly Adventurer

As long as it's not as bad as my wife's old Honda Passport (rebadged Isuzu Rodeo). That car had plenty or backseat legroom. But up front, let's just say my 5-7" wife drove with the seat all the way back! The front legroom was terrible! I expected such issues way back in the 80s and even early 90s, when many cars were built for people 5-9" and under. But any modern car should be able to accomodate taller people. The Passport was the ONLY vehicle I've owned that was built post 1990 that didn't have any legroom or headroom. I bought our ugly assed Avalon purely based on how comfortable and roomy it was! It's a granny car. Gets lost in the crowd. But it gets 26mpg with a V6, and the interior is very nice, and has more front and rear seat legroom than ANY car I looked at....without going ultra huge or ultra luxurious (cheap...).

So I'm hoping a test drive in both the MDX and Pilot will help me choose between the two.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:32 AM   #25
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,980
Quote:
So I'm hoping a test drive in both the MDX and Pilot will help me choose between the two.
In case you want another option in the same class, test drive a 2006+ Toyota RAV4 with the V6. They were available with a third row seat as an option and do include an mp3 input. I have a 2007 V6 Limited with 80k miles and its been a great car. The Toyota V6 has more low end grunt than the Honda engine and it returns better mileage, especially in town (23-24.5mpg). The trans shifts much better (both up and down the gears)compared to my wife's car and therefore, it tows better too. None of the annoying Honda torque converter constantly locking/unlocking either. Can't comment on AWD performance or the third row seat since mine doesn't have those.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:50 AM   #26
VegasKLRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,917
[QUOTE=BHW;19735054]

QUOTE]

I'm 6'2" and 260# and my 2011 Pilot has tons of room.

WWJWD?

What Would John Wayne Do?

Southwest Riders visit www.my2wheels.com.
VegasKLRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:05 AM   #27
crampfan
not really a nOOb

Oddometer: 2,238
[QUOTE=VegasKLRider;19736485]
Quote:

QUOTE]

I'm 6-1 and 260# it fits me fine. nice seats, nice ride, quite and comfortable on long trips. I have even sat in the 3 row seat,(so the elder "cramps" could be comfortable) other than getting in and out, I was fine.
crampfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:36 PM   #28
pachap
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 694
Got a friend with a 1st gen Pilot that had 290k miles last time I talked to him about it. That was a few months back, and he drives it a lot for work, so doubtless he is at 300K now. Tranny went out this past Spring, and his AC is fubar'd. The air diverter under the dash needs to be replaced or repaired. I have the same problem with my Mountaineer.

My Mother has a 2009 MDX. She likes it, it is getting the job done, but she has said several times she wished she would have just bought a new Four Runner.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:53 PM   #29
kobudo28
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,859
[QUOTE=VegasKLRider;19736485]
Quote:

QUOTE]

My son is 6'2", 215 pounds (solid) and he has no problem fitting in his 03 Pilot.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:59 PM   #30
kobudo28
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachap View Post

My Mother has a 2009 MDX. She likes it, it is getting the job done, but she has said several times she wished she would have just bought a new Four Runner.
Different SUV's as far as I am concerned. The MDX is much more car like than the 4 Runner is IMHO, the 4 Runner more truck like. Depends on what you want.

My Ridgeline is enough truck for me but I constantly take crap from those in the V-8, full framed, solid rear axle crowd that it "isn't a real truck".

To each their own.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: