Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 02:01 PM   #31
BHW OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
In case you want another option in the same class, test drive a 2006+ Toyota RAV4 with the V6. They were available with a third row seat as an option and do include an mp3 input.....

I've been driving Toyotas for over 16 years now...last non Toyota we owned was a Honda Passport. That being said, Toyota has some strange aversion to 3rd row seats unless you want a Sienna. Making it an "option" on the Rav4 and Highlander never made any sense to me...well, they charge more for it. I've never seen a Rav4 with leather and a 3rd row. I will not buy a car with cloth upholstery. Has to be leather. I've looked at some Highlanders, which I prefer way more than the Rav4. But at the same age/mileage, they cost a lot more than the Pilot/MDX. And I hate that Toyota charges an arm and a leg for the nicer packages like "Limited". My Tundra is a "Limited", and admittedly, I wouldn't want anything less. But JEEEZE do they charge a premium for it.

I can get an MDX/Pilot with leather, DVD player etc a LOT more easily than I can get any Toyota with those options...and for thousands less. If Toyota made a 4Runner with 3rd row, leather and DVD in a competitive price point to the Honda products, I'd seriously consider it. My 2004 4Runner wasn't a bad vehicle. But it was tight inside. It's amazing how narrow those things are inside! My Tundra and Avalon dwarf the interior of the 4Runners. Granted, I haven't been in one of the newest 4Runners....couldn't afford one if I wanted to! If money were no object, I'd just go trade my old Tundra for a new crew cab Tundra, Limited TRD! ;)
Old 10-03-2012, 03:19 PM   #32
adam_c_eckhardt
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 4,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobudo28 View Post

My Ridgeline is enough truck for me but I constantly take crap from those in the V-8, full framed, solid rear axle crowd that it "isn't a real truck".
My 3/4 Ton GMC could pull 19 of your Ridgelines up Pikes Peak without breaking a sweat. Get a real truck, Nancy.

As someone who dealt with Hondas for years- The Pilots were overall great vehicles. Not particularly excellent at anything, but very good overall. It's a great package and we had many repeat customers. I'm not up to date on the transmission options.

MDX is another beast. Might be worth it if the creature comforts are important to you. I believe they also require premium fuel to squeeze out that extra HP if I remember correctly. The newer ones also have the high-end AWD system, which sounds pretty awesome to me. Unfortunately I've never driven one of the newer ones.
adam_c_eckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:33 PM   #33
BHW OP
Beastly Adventurer

The premium fuel requirements on the MDX is a concern of mine. The last thing I want is to have to spend and extra $0.30 cents per gallon. I've read a lot of discussions on the octane issue with Acuras, and some people swear it makes a huge difference, others say they can't tell any difference. I'm in the camp of "if it isn't knocking, especially in summer heat, then you don't need higher octane". But what do I know?
Old 10-03-2012, 07:26 PM   #34
bawa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
I had an 2007 MDX that I returned after 4 years on lease. Loved the truck(car?). Put 96,000 kms on it - super reliable - nothing but maintenance services - great on gas (12L/100km in the city) and 10L/100km on the highway). The SH-AWD was fantastic - never got stuck in the snow, and took corners way better than the BMW x5 I traded in, Also, the active damping suspension was awesome. I did buy a 2011 MDX but got the mid-range model without the active dampers and hated it compared to the 2007. I was also constantly amazed at how much stuff I could load into the trunk...wish I had kept that car.
bawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:18 AM   #35
kobudo28
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_c_eckhardt View Post
My 3/4 Ton GMC could pull 19 of your Ridgelines up Pikes Peak without breaking a sweat. Get a real truck, Nancy.

That's Ms Nancy to you.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:01 AM   #36
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW View Post
The premium fuel requirements on the MDX is a concern of mine. others say they can't tell any difference. I'm in the camp of "if it isn't knocking, especially in summer heat, then you don't need higher octane". But what do I know?
I wouldn't sweat it.

The wife has put over 500K on 4 Acuras, she won't drive anything else. A Legend, 2 RL's, and the current MDX, all of which required "premium" fuel according to the gas cap and owners manual. None of which got it and none of which ever skipped a beat nor suffered notable milage differences. She is religious about her servicing as well. Her current MDX is a very nice ride.

Also, I'm a Toyota (Tundra) guy and to compare an MDX with a 4Runner is just absolutely ridiculous.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:50 AM   #37
Motomantra
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,093
Regular or Premium?

These engines have a crank angle senor (knock sensor). I use mid grade fuel when pulling the raft trailer, it makes a difference. The ECU will adjust timing after a few miles to compensate what the sensor is seeing. I would think the MDX will run on regular, but mileage/power will take a small hit.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:27 PM   #38
BHW OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOT DAMN! View Post

Also, I'm a Toyota (Tundra) guy and to compare an MDX with a 4Runner is just absolutely ridiculous.

That's why a 4Runner really isn't in the equation. My mind is 98% made up on either a Pilot or MDX. Will come down to finding a good deal on one that's been properly serviced...and has the rear seat DVD player! The "properly serviced" part being huge in my opinion. Most of the ones in my price range are close to or over 100,000 miles. I want the timing belt, water pump, etc already done and documented!

Still haven't had time to go test drive any.....
Old 10-04-2012, 08:14 PM   #39
Guano11
Half Decaf

Oddometer: 1,161
Quote:
Still haven't had time to go test drive any.....
Prepare to be underwhelmed...... with the Pilot anyway
And if you want an Aux stereo input for your iPod or MP3, I suspect you'll have to get a Pilot with the Rear Entertainment System (RES). It has 3 Aux inputs for the back (mid-row, actually) seats.
Guano11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:25 AM   #40
BHW OP
Beastly Adventurer

I'm not expecting anything spectacular from either vehicle. I just want something easier to haul the kids around in than my Tundra. A few extra mpgs wouldn't hurt either. My Tundra has gone beyond daily driver status...and is ready to be stabled and parked for "when we need a truck" duty only. It'll be nice to have some extra room to take on trips too...and the DVD player will prevent me from having to lug around a portable one.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:29 PM   #41
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guano11 View Post
Prepare to be underwhelmed...... with the Pilot anyway
He's looking for a reliable kid hauler not an entry to the Baja 1000.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:25 PM   #42
BHW OP
Beastly Adventurer

Looked at and sat in a Pilot today. It's a 2005 but it looked showroom new...at least the interior did. I've never seen a 7 year old vehicle that looked THAT clean and new. No visible wear on anything inside that car! The others I've looked at had very visible wear on the armrests, steering wheel, and other contact points. This one had 95,000 miles on it, and looked like it was driven by a ghost! No DVD player though! Gonna wait and bring the wife and kids along before I drive anything. I wanna see if the reported road noise will drown out two kids in the backseat!

As far as being underwhelmed...I want to be comfortable, and to have a car that's reliable. That means I have to fit in it, and the A/C needs to work well! I'm holding out for a rear seat DVD player as my major luxury item!
Old 10-06-2012, 01:04 PM   #43
adam_c_eckhardt
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 4,963
Quote:
Looked at and sat in a Pilot today. It's a 2005 but it looked showroom new...at least the interior did. I've never seen a 7 year old vehicle that looked THAT clean and new. No visible wear on anything inside that car! The others I've looked at had very visible wear on the armrests, steering wheel, and other contact points. This one had 95,000 miles on it, and looked like it was driven by a ghost! No DVD player though! Gonna wait and bring the wife and kids along before I drive anything. I wanna see if the reported road noise will drown out two kids in the backseat!

As far as being underwhelmed...I want to be comfortable, and to have a car that's reliable. That means I have to fit in it, and the A/C needs to work well! I'm holding out for a rear seat DVD player as my major luxury item!
I worked in the car biz in a former life.

The chances of you finding a vehicle as clean as the one you described WITH the RES are pretty low. Most people buy them because they have kids. Most kids trash vehicles. Just about every Pilot or Odyssey we took in track with the RES was in fair condition at best.

Maybe buy the nice one you drove today and have something installed for rear seat entertainment.

Like we used to say- there's no such thing as a used car factory- you gotta buy the right one when it comes along.
adam_c_eckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:48 PM   #44
BHW OP
Beastly Adventurer

Looked at and drove an '06 MDX today, the Touring model, loaded! Kids and wife all loved it. It too looked very good for a 6 year old vehicle, not as nice as the pilot, but the same price! With nlyu about 5,000 miles difference in them, the MDX is a lot nicer...just hasn't been detailed as nicely as the Pilot!
Old 10-06-2012, 10:13 PM   #45
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,896
My folks have a Pilot
The 1st gen. No aux jack but you can or at least you used to be able to get a dongle that plugs into the back of the stock head unit and runs a AUX through the same channel that either the tape deck or CD changer uses.

For me, It's an uncomfortable car, decent size but the seats don't fit my body. with my foot, it gets around 16-19 that's on the freeway with decent gas and around 5 over the speed limit.

If I needed an SUV or a tall wagon, it wouldn't be my first choice.
But my folks fit it and really like it, and as far as I know they haven't had any major issues with it.

I had a buddy who owned an MDX and it was such a lemon he got rid of it and got a Jeep instead (his 4th or 5th Jeep so he knows what he's getting into)

On the other hand my boss had three MDX's over the course of six years (all on two year leases he bought out the last lease) and never a lick of a problem with any of 'em, and he towed a decent sized boat and had a family of four and two 50 lbs dogs.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: