Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 01:44 AM   #46
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW View Post
Yeah, the 3rd row would be stowed 95% of the time. But it would be nice to be able to take my two kids and another adult or two without having to take two vehicles. Most likely only used when grandparents are visiting, etc. The extra space would be nice for trips too. For several years we had either a Honda Passport or a Toyota 4Runner. The last few years we've had neither, and I kinda miss the utility of an SUV. But the one thing we've never had was the 3rd row seat, which I've love to have, without the mini-van factor!

I'm just looking to park my Tundra except for days when really need a truck. It's old and beat up, but still runs well...and it's paid for.
Have you looked at the Mazda 5? The seating setup is really slick and it holds six people. They get very good mileage.

And you flip the seats down to a flat floor.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:59 AM   #47
BHW OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,026
I had a salesman show me the Mazda 5 when I looked at the really clean Pilot a couple days ago. I've never owned a Mazda..and didn't know much about them so I came home a did a little research. The extra MPGs would be nice, but I'm not sure I could get used to a little 4 banger again...and even though it has 3 rows of seats available, it was pretty small inside. Having a gap between my 4 and 6 year olds, is a BIG bonus. Plus, the rear DVD player is a BIG bonus for us on the Honda or Acura as well. Road trips with boards kids makes for insane parents!

Planning on purchasing the MDX we drove yesterday, tomorrow, if they didn't sell it after I left. I didn't want to put a deposit on it and my credit union isn't open on weekends.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:00 AM   #48
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

You need a minivan.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
Old 10-07-2012, 10:27 AM   #49
BHW OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman View Post
You need a minivan.
I'm not too proud! I've looked at them. But around here, a similar year/mileage Odyssey costs a few thousand more than a similar Pilot/MDX. They're expensive. It wasn't always that way, but it is now. And the Odyssey or Sienna are the only two I'd consider...and both are very pricey. The ones in my price range have 200,000 miles on them!
Old 10-08-2012, 12:07 AM   #50
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,896
My folks also have an Odyssey and I'd take that any day of the week over the Pilot.

Flat out in just about every way other then snow it's a better more comfortable easier to drive, more enjoyable dare say even sportier to drive then the Pilot.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:51 PM   #51
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW View Post
I'm not too proud! I've looked at them. But around here, a similar year/mileage Odyssey costs a few thousand more than a similar Pilot/MDX. They're expensive. It wasn't always that way, but it is now. And the Odyssey or Sienna are the only two I'd consider...and both are very pricey. The ones in my price range have 200,000 miles on them!
I find it very, very difficult to believe that any MDX is selling for less than an Odyssey. Just sayin'. Some of them are $50,000 new.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:44 PM   #52
BHW OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yeah, I got a pretty good deal on the MDX I bought today. I got it for about $3000 less than "book value". There was no other 2006 model within $2000 of price. To get a loaded Odyssey with leather, DVD, etc, would be about the same price as the MDX. You can get one cheaper, with cloth interior and 200,000 miles on them.

But I bought the 2006 MDX today. Dealer did the timing belt, water pump, etc for me on their dime. Definitely the "fanciest" vehicle I've ever owned. Will take weeks to learn all the electronic do-dads in it!
Old 10-08-2012, 05:04 PM   #53
Jayrod1318
Poster

Oddometer: 1,538
04 mdx

have an 04 mdx. bought with 90k on it.

It does not have an mp3 jack, But does have RCA aux input in the rear. presumably for a video game console.

Everything has been merry with the rig. Lots of power, excellent creature comforts.

Rear AC stopped working, Had to DIY the thermal cutoff in the control module. very common

Front hydraulic engine mount needs replaced, depending on dealer they will replace this out of warranty. Nearly everyone has failed, some with very few miles.

Front driver seat heating element is kinked/broke very common. I need to fix. not so cheap to have this done.

Cabin air filter is a PITA to change.

Tranny is strong with 140k on it. The 03' 4 speed auto is to be avoided. The problem lies in it constantly slips in and out of 4th while driving around. By all acounts the 04' 5speed and up tranny is good stuff.

We love this rig and plan on running it into the ground. very comfortable and quiet. Plus it will pull a trailer! its got balls.

Check out mdxer's .org lots of info
Old 10-10-2012, 09:20 AM   #54
BHW OP
Beastly Adventurer

Spend yesterday detailing the interior. Today, gave the outside a decent wash down...now that the 4+days of rain has ended! Today was the 1st time I've driven this thing in sunlight...and noticed how dirty the windshield was....smeared and streaked on the inside! Took care of that too!

Also did some grunt work, running an auxilliary cable from the inputs in the back, up to the center console so I can run our MP3 players. Was a bit more work than I had hoped, but the install is clean and hidden...and well worth it! This is the 1st vehicle we've owned that will allow us to use MP3 players without trying cassette adapters or FM receivers....neither of which is worth the effort! Yay!

Old 10-10-2012, 08:36 PM   #55
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
Nice ride, enjoy.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: