User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2012, 07:39 AM   #1
whatscooking OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
How fast can a Harley run?

The wife and i were out for a ride Sunday on a new road. While comming up to a T in the road where you need to stop here comes a bike hard behind us blows the stop sign and hammers down. Well all is fun right, i let him get a lead on me then i open up and easly get up with him. When i get ready to have him for a snack we come up on five cars going up a hill with a yellow line= no way. Away he goes. The whole time the girl on the back of his bike has her arms behind her holding on tight like she has been their done that. I see him turn off the main road and just smile.
whatscooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:45 AM   #2
Desert Skies
One brick shy...

Oddometer: 2,293
Seya wrong thread, wrong forum.
Tripn' with Tom Some pictures ZZ Rider - Tom Lowry Texas Blue - Tom Lowry

Desert Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:47 AM   #3
SR1
In Western NC

Oddometer: 4,370
I like dem french fried taters.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:09 PM   #4
Wdwrkr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,824
He is right wrong place for this, but I'll bite. I had an 07 ultra for a spell.. If you had plenty of road you could get into the 115 ballpark. I may have made 120+\- but I ran out of road. They get up into the nineties pretty quick, but after that you better have some road, unless we are talking vrod. Either way I'd prefer to forget those days

Pete
Wdwrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:26 PM   #5
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer: 9,432
If Obama passes a law that I must have a Harley, it will be a V-Rod, H-Ds best bike.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:53 PM   #6
Tslepebull
Snakecharmer

Oddometer: 265
I passed a group of Harley riders in a driving rain. They were wearing dew rags and sunglasses; I was wearing a helmet and Aerostich. They looked really pathetic; those raindops must have hurt. I gave them a little wave as I passed and tried not to look "too" smug.
Tslepebull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:56 PM   #7
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,044
Is this a story about a kid on a big wheel racing a harley?

mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:15 PM   #8
KankakeeBenjamin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
Old 08-21-2012, 08:54 PM   #9
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatscooking View Post
The wife and i were out for a ride Sunday on a new road. While comming up to a T in the road where you need to stop here comes a bike hard behind us blows the stop sign and hammers down. Well all is fun right, i let him get a lead on me then i open up and easly get up with him. When i get ready to have him for a snack we come up on five cars going up a hill with a yellow line= no way. Away he goes. The whole time the girl on the back of his bike has her arms behind her holding on tight like she has been their done that. I see him turn off the main road and just smile.
Wrong thread, so what...

Completely stock Road Glide with the 103: My Nephew riding it saw saw 117 mph down slight hill, 110-113ish on flats with pretty good sidewind. Was in 6th gear. I was right next to him on 1000 vstrom (which indicated mid-120s). I could pull him by only about four or five mph. Vstrom has big windshield, and full aluminum bags on back. I saw 130 indicated (120 in reality??) and Vstrom started bigtime headshake when I lifted throttle. That put the fear of Jesus into me.

I switched bikes and saw 115 mph on the Road Glide after a mile or two of full throttle. Lots of sidewind.

So, Harley not much slower than packmule Vstrom, and MUCH more stable. Still not very fast.

Btw: This was over several miles. Empty road in empty west with miles of visiblity and nothing but grass on all sides.

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:01 PM   #10
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
PS: interesting to see how much some bikes fib on the speedometer at speed. At a solid 100 showing on the Harley the Vstrom is showing about 108, a goldwing is showing about 105. These readings taken side-by-side in Emptyland.

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:07 PM   #11
wrysingfeenix
Dust off those ashes

Oddometer: 627
'00 Road King with a big bore kit. 90-100 is as easy as twisting the throttle, and it gets there promptly. I've hit 110 and it was solid and steady and was still accelerating, but getting close to max, I think. That's enough speed for me no matter the bike and how well it handles it. The speedo is accurate up to 85 according to radar signs, so it's pretty dependable.

I've hit 115 on my GS and it still had some to go. As I hinted above, that's more than enough to scare the shit out of me.
---'09 Vespa GT200 Granturismo
wrysingfeenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:10 PM   #12
DynaSport
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
How much money do you have?
DynaSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:21 PM   #13
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,781
+1

I know for a factr there are some built harleys that will run over 140 in a straight line. Sure they have a over $10K motor, different primary etc. They will roll, way faster than any 900 LB bike has a right to.

And then you can add a turbo.

Sure, the engine may not last for 50K miles anymore, but it will fly.

Rod
ragtoplvr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:25 PM   #14
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,353
Another thing to consider is how much if any motor work has been done, excluding the basic stage 1 (mufflers and air cleaner). Two identical bikes ould has vastly different outputs.

There are a fair number of HD riders that put a lot of money in the engine and you can even buy a 120" engine direct form HD that puts out over 120/ hp/tq and can be further massaged to get close to 150 hp/tq at the rear wheel and it looks essentially just like the stock 96 of 103" to the untrained eye.

HDs are the motorcycle version of the muscle cars of the 60s in that most may sound fast but with the 60s era motors putting out 200-300 hp they really aren't that fast yet every so often you run across a muscle car with modern tech under the hood putting out over 500 hp yet it looks and sounds like the rest of them.

Of course putting out over 100 hp to the rear wheel doesn't equate to a huge difference in top speed on a heavy full faired bike with a big windshield but zero -100 times are a lot quicker with a worked over motor.

It is ironic that the majority of performance $$ for pure street bikes are more proportionally spent on bikes like HDs that have very little performance as deliverd stock.

Has my previous 02 FXST (softail with the raked front and little skinny 21" front bicycle tire) up to 124 on the speedo but it only had a 95" motor putting out 109hp/107tq at the rear wheel.

blk-betty screwed with this post 08-21-2012 at 09:33 PM
blk-betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:15 PM   #15
hscrugby
"That guy"

Oddometer: 4,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeeater View Post
PS: interesting to see how much some bikes fib on the speedometer at speed. At a solid 100 showing on the Harley the Vstrom is showing about 108, a goldwing is showing about 105. These readings taken side-by-side in Emptyland.

Cakeeater
My cbr's Speedo is right on until around 100 according to gps etc. By 125 it's showing 135ish but around 160 it's only showing 155 or so. Much above there I'm not really looking at the Speedo.
As for a hd they are so long and heavy they are rock stable but real hard to get 100-120 as others have said.

sent from a giant screen