User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2009, 11:11 PM   #1
RobStar OP
Still On Training Wheels

Oddometer: 433
CORNERING: Losing Control To Gain Control

A good friend of mine owns / runs a cornering school outside Charlotte, NC for both road and dirt. Here's a link to a great article on technique and tons of photos featured this week by Speed TV on what they do there:

http://motorcycling.speedtv.com/arti...-gain-control/

The direct link to his site is:

http://cornerspeed.net/spin.html

Sounds like I'm going to be making a trip to NC this year! Hopefully avoiding my two ex's who live back there!
RobStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 03:55 AM   #2
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,230
Or you could attend American Supercamp further west, less travel.

Barry

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:08 AM   #3
Diceman68
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
I've been to Supercamp, and the Cornering Speed place is on my list for the future. I raced a lot of flat track as a kid, and some supermoto in the last few years, and I am a firm beiever that being comfortable and in control on the edge of traction has made me a much better street rider because it removes a lot of the "panic factor"
Diceman68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:59 AM   #4
RobStar OP
Still On Training Wheels

Oddometer: 433
[quote=Diceman68]...I am a firm believer that being comfortable and in control on the edge of traction has made me a much better street rider because it removes a lot of the "panic factor"[/quote\]

I'm a new ADVbiker but started racing mountain bikes about 12 years ago and then road bikes five years ago (bicycles); I'd have to agree that being used to my tires sliding on the mountain bike has saved my A$$ more than a few times on the road.

I'm hoping some of the cycling experience will eventually transfer over into handling my F800GS. I've put a little over 200 miles on it in the first two days and have a long way to go before I'm feeling "one with the bike" but it will come with time, miles and additional training.
RobStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:01 PM   #5
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,811
Been to Aaron's Cornerspeed at Barber and VIR a few times now and it's a great school. He runs a tight ship and really knows his stuff. Mike D got Aaron into dirt tracking initially and is a former grand champion or something, either way everyone that I've spoken to that has gone to CornerSpin has loved it.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 02:34 PM   #6
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diceman68
I've been to Supercamp, and the Cornering Speed place is on my list for the future. I raced a lot of flat track as a kid, and some supermoto in the last few years, and I am a firm beiever that being comfortable and in control on the edge of traction has made me a much better street rider because it removes a lot of the "panic factor"
Ever hear how Jay Springsteen lost it in a corner - and regained it! I read about it somewhere in a bike magazine article with him. He went lowside, sliding actually on the clutch cover of his XR. He thought about it, the bike was still pretty much on line and not too far out of shape, it just didn't have the rear tire in contact. He figured if he kept the throttle on eventually the back tire might just catch and he could make it back on the wheels. He kept on the throttle so it was spinning when it hit and he got back on both wheels, continuing on!

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:45 PM   #7
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 8,074
I went to cornerspin a few months ago. Even though it's not a dirtbike school at all, I learned a lot about keeping the body loose, shifting weight and sliding the bike around. The skills are directly applicable to riding a bigger bike in the dirt.

And you can do things on Aaron's little bikes, on his infinitely changing hard packed dirt track, with little risk of damage or harm to rider or bike. And that's the beauty of the class. You can explore the limits of traction, exceed them, recover sometimes, sometimes not and learn. Without the pain and expense of doing it at a race track during track days.

I think it's a great 2 days for someone wanting to improve their riding skills on the track, street or as a learning adventure rider.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:18 PM   #8
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,080
[quote=RobStar]
Quote:
...I am a firm believer that being comfortable and in control on the edge of traction has made me a much better street rider because it removes a lot of the "panic factor"[/quote\]

I'm a new ADVbiker but started racing mountain bikes about 12 years ago and then road bikes five years ago (bicycles); I'd have to agree that being used to my tires sliding on the mountain bike has saved my A$$ more than a few times on the road.

I'm hoping some of the cycling experience will eventually transfer over into handling my F800GS. I've put a little over 200 miles on it in the first two days and have a long way to go before I'm feeling "one with the bike" but it will come with time, miles and additional training.
It does translate fairly well. The motions are essentially the same, just bigger.

Oh, and throttle control's a different critter when yer used to making yer own horsepower.

M
Old 03-03-2009, 06:37 PM   #9
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,230
Quote:
...I am a firm beiever that being comfortable and in control on the edge of traction has made me a much better street rider because it removes a lot of the "panic factor"
Agree 100%. Reduces panic, riding tense, and fatigue. And teaches that the bike getting squirrelly isn't the end of control by any means.

Barry

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:51 PM   #10
StuckXJ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
That school looks awesome, I'm a new rider (2 seasons) and I am looking to take a course just like this. Are there others like this? Or do you just have to make the trip. All I could find in MA searching google was the rider safety courses or dirt courses for kids. I'm seriously considering making the drive down, this school looks perfect, but its a little far for a weekend.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:00 PM   #11
pdoege
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
I took the course with no prior race experience. I highly recommend it.

Peter
pdoege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:18 PM   #12
Pflum
Throttle Junkie

Oddometer: 107
Whats the cost?
1998 Gas Gas ec250
2004 Yamaha FZ6
Pflum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:11 PM   #13
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDPYammie
Whats the cost?
$500, it's on the website.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:38 PM   #14
easy_dualsport
Easy E

Oddometer: 388
Cornerspin

Taking the course this weekend. Today was my first day. I had not crashed in a long time, and it was great to be able to go down four times today pushing it hard and not have any bike damage or injury. I am very impressed, can't wait for tomorrow.

Raleigh, NC
ZR-7 2000
WR250R 2010
easy_dualsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:46 PM   #15
Joey Stalin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
marked, this is something i'd like to get into doing. and NC is pretty convenient. thanks!
Joey Stalin is offline   Reply With Quote