Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2008, 03:10 PM   #1
waynem OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
total knee replacement, can I ride again?

OK, I am in the 8th week of total right knee replacement, and the pain has been the shits but I am walking pretty well now and am sitting on the bike (1200 GS) and can finally get my foot on the peg and work the brake pedal a little bit, my range of motion is at 123 degrees and I am working on getting to 130 degrees but dont know if that will be accomplished.

Has anyone been thru the same surgery and do you have any advice, I am hoping to be riding again in two to four months. and planning on riding to Peru in 20 months.

any advice would be appreciated
waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 03:30 PM   #2
Sugar Pig
almost certain...

Oddometer: 683
Very first time I rode a bike I wrecked it. Broke, not tore my ACL and the left and right ligaments. All told took a year for full recovery, running etc. But I was 16 at the time. I followed my PT to the letter and had a great therapist. Do your PT!! I have never had a problem since, I'm 33 now. Have never wrecked another bike either. Lesson learned.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:43 PM   #3
jb257
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
I have not had a total replacement. However, I tore out my ACL plus multiple cartilage and meniscus tears. My orthopedist stated that due to the severity of the tears ( + arthritis) a total knee replacement might have been an easier recovery. I suffered through about six months of heavy duty therapy trying to increase my strength and range of motion. I have regained all but 5 degrees and my strength is back to almost normal. It can be done but you have to stick with the PT and endure the pain. BTY... The second therapist I visited had an isokinetic machine (Biodex) that built my muscle back much faster than I expected.
jb257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 05:59 PM   #4
heykenny
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
yes you can ride

just do your phys ed and be patient... worked for me
heykenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 09:00 PM   #5
RockinXJ
gettin the hang of it.

Oddometer: 175
absolutely

I have two friends who had knee replacment surgery and they both still ride. These two guys have actually had both knees replaced. The older of the two had both knees done at the same time. He's a tough one in my book.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:36 AM   #6
waynem OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Thumb thanks

thanks for the encouragement, I plan on riding too
waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 12:09 PM   #7
KillerPriller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,232
yeah, make plans to keep riding. it keeps you motivated for Physical therepy.

i had some screws put into the patela and a latteral release done on my right knee. 3 days after surgery, i started PT. ON that same day, another guy started his PT with a knee replacemenet.

he was up and walking long before me. full range of motion long before me. rebuilding strenght too. and he was an old dude. total bastard in my opinion.

Keep up the PT and positive spirits.

nk

Quo Vadimus?
KillerPriller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 12:38 PM   #8
Queen
Escapee

Oddometer: 24,479
I've got a range of motion in my right knee of 110 degrees and I can ride just fine. I can't ride a sportbike but a DS works great.
Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 01:14 PM   #9
PacificPT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 984
Total Joint Replacement

Waynem,

No worries on returning to riding after the total knee. I have had lots of patients return to riding both motorcycles and bicycles again after the knee replacement. Do your physical therapy, keep sitting on the bike and working the controls which will help you stay motivated.

Good luck, you will be back soon.
PacificPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 07:20 AM   #10
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,980
You can do it as many here have said. Heck with this many rooting for you you gotta come though.
When I broke my hip a few years ago from a get off on the ice I went through some negative mind games. Came back with no problems.
A couple of years later in a street crash I broke my back, had a compound fracture of my right wrist and a broken elbow among a couple of other things. Same mind games but still riding.
Then I had a 5 way bypass operation.. Yeah...same stuff but still here and riding.
No, I am not that bad a rider just that stuff happens...lol.
I thank God that I am still here and able to enjoy life. Guess he wasn't ready for me up there yet :-)
Sorry that this was not right on topic as related to your knee but I know the mind games that can come and go after an incident. Maybe others will relate and be encouraged.
BOTTOM LINE? You can do it. Be thankful and persistant and you'll get past this.

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 09:02 AM   #11
klrken
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
knee replacement

[quote=waynem]OK, I am in the 8th week of total right knee replacement, and the pain has been the shits but I am walking pretty well now and am sitting on the bike (1200 GS) and can finally get my foot on the peg and work the brake pedal a little bit, my range of motion is at 123 degrees and I am working on getting to 130 degrees but dont know if that will be accomplished.

Has anyone been thru the same surgery and do you have any advice, I am hoping to be riding again in two to four months. and planning on riding to Peru in 20 months.

after my youthful days ( 30-60 yrs ) of mx, enduro, grand prix, trials, hare scrambles and sport bikes i could hardly walk and my beloved super hawk was becoming quite painful to ride. rode a klr, hey not so painful so i bought it. at 65 yrs i had total replacement of both knees at the same time (dec 05 ) 2 1/2 months later loaded the klr into a trailer and drove to titusville, fla. that first day on the bike rode to daytona, made the beach scene, bike shows and back (225 miles ) damn i hurt but it was a good hurt. now its 08 the knees are great heading for daytona for bike week soon, looked at a yam 450 the other day moto cross is calling. klrken
klrken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 04:04 PM   #12
KKop
...and proud of it!

Oddometer: 356
My Mom will be 77 this year and has had both knees replaced over the last three years. She regularly rides her bike (as in: bicycle) 10 to 15 miles, so riding your GS shouldn't be a problem.

The pain was bad for her as well, but she's tough and did her exercises regardless. That paid off: although her knees aren't as good as real ones, she can walk with them for a mile or so, and rides her bike everywhere.

The only time she hurt her new bionic knee was when she stepped off the bike in a weird crooked way and twisted her leg/ankle, so be careful with that.
... I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic ...
--
2007 BMW R1200 GS Adventure
2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200
KKop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 05:41 PM   #13
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,793
Provided you don't crash/fall off and don't do stupidly long rides it'll probably be good for the knee. Exercise is generally good and for some reason the relatively gentle vibration from a bike seems to be good at getting stuff working again. No knees here, but ankles and a wierd back problem both improved faster once I got back on the bike again. Luck Pete
PeterW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 04:04 AM   #14
garandman
Wandering Minstrel

Oddometer: 6,338
June 15th I get two new knees....

My left knee can only bend -6 to about 95 degrees and gets sore after even 20 minutes or so. I have highway pegs on the Triumph and can stand up on a dirt bike, but had to get rid of my SV650SF and can't ride sport bikes anymore.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 04:35 AM   #15
kneeslider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,031
knees in the breeze

yes, in fact getting back in the saddle helped with my recovery. the amount of flex (range of motion) greatly improved with riding.

have had both knees replaced & riding not only physically helped, but mentally as well. there is nothing like knees in the breeze to help clear the mind & blowing the post surgery "funk" from your head.
kneeslider is offline   Reply With Quote