User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2013, 06:02 AM   #1
Keithert OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 965
Comfort on a motorcycle

I've been riding for 20+ years and have rarely been comfortable on a bike for over an hour. The only exceptions were the 83 and 99 Yamaha Ventures I owned. All other bikes including my current Vulcan 1500 and XT225 just get uncomfortable on the rear starting at about 30 minutes and getting worse as I ride.

On the Vulcan I've had a custom seat by Bill Mayer (terrible customer service, not recommend) which was no better than stock. I currently have a Corbin on it. The Corbin is pretty good in that it spreads the seating area out better than other seats. But it's hardness is still an issue.

On the XT I tried a Seat Concepts seat. I didn't care for its firmess so they are remaking me a softer foam now. I hope that is better. I have also put a Stearns pad on the stock seat. The seat like this is good for about 30 minutes for me. Since I've liked Corbins on other bikes I wonder if a Corbin for the XT would help. But Corbins dual sport seats don't have a large dish like their cruiser seats so I'm not sure the effect would be the same.

In the past I've tried seat covers like the beaded seats and the airhawk and didn't care for them or find them helpful.

I think the problem is just that my butt muscles are just not firm enough. What kind of exercise could be done to help this?

Anyone else have this issue?
Old 05-17-2013, 06:09 AM   #2
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 4,199
I don't think "firmness of the butt muscles" has anything to do with it. I do a lot of bicycle road riding and, by my wife's description, my butt is pretty firm , however there are saddles that I find uncomfortable. I'm a big fan of Corbin. Every DR I've owned had/has one. You're just going to need to keep searching for the perfect combination. Unfortunately, your tush seems even more sensitive than most. Best of luck in your quest.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:14 AM   #3
toy4fun
GET out of the way

Oddometer: 491
I have a Corbin on my TRANSALP and I over came the hardness with an Air Hawk. Seems to work just fine on the day long rides.
toy4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:20 AM   #4
Kommando
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithert View Post
I've been riding for 20+ years and have rarely been comfortable on a bike for over an hour. The only exceptions were the 83 and 99 Yamaha Ventures I owned. All other bikes including my current Vulcan 1500 and XT225 just get uncomfortable on the rear starting at about 30 minutes and getting worse as I ride.

On the Vulcan I've had a custom seat by Bill Mayer (terrible customer service, not recommend) which was no better than stock. I currently have a Corbin on it. The Corbin is pretty good in that it spreads the seating area out better than other seats. But it's hardness is still an issue.

On the XT I tried a Seat Concepts seat. I didn't care for its firmess so they are remaking me a softer foam now. I hope that is better. I have also put a Stearns pad on the stock seat. The seat like this is good for about 30 minutes for me. Since I've liked Corbins on other bikes I wonder if a Corbin for the XT would help. But Corbins dual sport seats don't have a large dish like their cruiser seats so I'm not sure the effect would be the same.

In the past I've tried seat covers like the beaded seats and the airhawk and didn't care for them or find them helpful.

I think the problem is just that my butt muscles are just not firm enough. What kind of exercise could be done to help this?
Be naughty. The disciplinarian will handle the rest of your Shaolin iron-butt training. You'll be saving Santa a stop too.

If you want but-tock muscles, squats help. So does hiking uphill with an 80lb pack.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:28 AM   #5
Keithert OP
Studly Adventurer

^ LOL

I received the new foam from Seat Concepts in the mail today. I'll install it over the weekend and see how it works for me.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:33 AM   #6
GoGoGavin41
Isn't this that guy?

Oddometer: 846
Yeah, I'd definitely say comfort on a motorcycle is a pretty relative thing. But I'll take the upright, fared ADV bike over the naked sportbike on a 200+ mile ride any day. I'm just looking forward to getting an old, beat up rolling couch and becoming the only Goldwing rider under 25 y/o
GoGoGavin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:45 AM   #7
Keithert OP
Studly Adventurer

I was 32 when I bought my 83 Venture! It was truly a rolling couch. I'd get another if I hadn't swore off bikes with fairings.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:51 AM   #8
Big Bamboo
Aircooled & Sunbaked

Oddometer: 4,123
ExOfficico Boxer Briefs

...or as I call them, "Anti Monkey Butt Shorts". Try them, you will not be disappointed. If you are wearing cotton underwear or Levis, the sweat will make your butt chafe. These shorts will keep your skin dryer, eliminating chafe almost 100%. http://www.campmor.com/ex-officio-me...L&ci_gpa=pla&c
Big Bamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:31 AM   #9
MTKNZ
Touring Kiwi

Oddometer: 104
I have found squats help with the butt tolerance, but mostly a decent saddle and lots of time in it tends to toughen me up pretty well.
After 3-4 days in the saddle, you don't tend to notice as much!

I have just put a Spencer seat on the Tiger and I have a sheepskin too, which makes the load points like me a lot more. But honestly, time is the only way I know to really get tougher.
But that is a great excuse to go riding more often!
Old 05-17-2013, 11:56 AM   #10
aterry1067
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Might have a look at Russel DayLong. Lot's will vouch for their comfort, myself included. I'm sure they could build one for the XT, as long as they have a pan for it.
aterry1067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:00 PM   #11
Keithert OP
Studly Adventurer

Yea, I've been reading about Russell. If I can't find another resolution I might try them. I've looked into them for my Vulcan but with a backrest they run about $650. For as much as I ride the Vulcan longer than an hour I can deal with the current seat. Unfortunately the XT comfort doesn't last an hour.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:40 PM   #12
the_sandman_454
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
The methods I've tried so far are breaks once an hour or stand on the pegs for a little bit if you don't want to stop. That gets some looks from traffic and I'm not sure law enforcement would be overly impressed with it though.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:27 PM   #13
ZGirl
Girly Adventurer

Oddometer: 866
The stock seat on the C-10 Kawi Concours is one of the most comfortable I've ever ridden. Just buy a new bike.

I'm joking; I've owned an SV650 so I know that discomfort after 30 minutes on a stock seat is no joking matter.

I've had great success with a sheepskin. Keeps you cool in the summer and warm in the winter.

I've got a Stearns ATV Seat Cover on my DL650.

Between the sheepskin and the Stearns I'm good for as many days as I can get off work to ride.

Also; wear microfiber, breathable, seamless unmentionables.
ZGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:27 PM   #14
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,847
At 55 years, its almost everything else that hurts much more and sooner then my butt!

I never figured riding a motorcycle had to be like sitting in a lazy boy, so I just deal with it, but some bikes were REALLY bad.

How you sit likely has a lot to do with it, and some bikes put more weight on your butt, or in different spots.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:46 PM   #15
Keithert OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGirl View Post
The stock seat on the C-10 Kawi Concours is one of the most comfortable I've ever ridden. Just buy a new bike.
I owned a Concours 1000. The seat was okay but the sportbike riding position with weight on wrists was terrible for me. I traded it after 1 year. If it's not one thing its another!