2013 BMW Motorrad gear

new stuff coming soon...

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/press...tem=node__6628
lucas123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:00 AM   #2
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,892

I think BMW Motorrad went a little "GS" crazy.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:59 PM   #3
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,642
I'm liking that GS Dry suit. It is waterproof without zipping in a liner.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:00 PM   #4
ar1814
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Yes, but it's still a Z-Liner, all the suit will still get soaked with water and weight a ton. Far from laminated Gore-Tex...
ar1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:39 PM   #5
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by ar1814 View Post
Yes, but it's still a Z-Liner, all the suit will still get soaked with water and weight a ton. Far from laminated Gore-Tex...

Really? "Weigh a ton"?

Let's see...

A pint's a pound the world around. So in order for this soak up 5 pounds of additional weight, (basically a bag of sugar, which is still not enough for you to really notice it when spread out over an entire jacket), it would have to soak up more than a half-gallon of water.

8 pounds would be a gallon of water. I guarantee you that suit's not going to soak up a gallon of water. So this, "It gets heavy" business is ridiculous.

Also, even jackets that have the waterproof layer bonded to the shell, the waterproof layer is still on the inside. The fabric of the shell will still soak up just as much water.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:04 PM   #6
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Oddometer: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux View Post

Really? "Weigh a ton"?

Let's see...

A pint's a pound the world around. So in order for this soak up 5 pounds of additional weight, (basically a bag of sugar, which is still not enough for you to really notice it when spread out over an entire jacket), it would have to soak up more than a half-gallon of water.

8 pounds would be a gallon of water. I guarantee you that suit's not going to soak up a gallon of water. So this, "It gets heavy" business is ridiculous.

Also, even jackets that have the waterproof layer bonded to the shell, the waterproof layer is still on the inside. The fabric of the shell will still soak up just as much water.
Stop trying to confuse me with facts....

I've worn an R3 in the rain with liners...Stayed completely dry, didn't compress any vertebrae. Liners work for me perfectly...Keep them out when it's really hot (like you care if you're wet when it's 110 degrees), put them in when it's cold. There isn't a waterproof anything that won't cook you when it's seriously hot out.
'05Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:28 PM   #7
Snowbound
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
Stop trying to confuse me with facts....

I've worn an R3 in the rain with liners...Stayed completely dry, didn't compress any vertebrae. Liners work for me perfectly...Keep them out when it's really hot (like you care if you're wet when it's 110 degrees), put them in when it's cold. There isn't a waterproof anything that won't cook you when it's seriously hot out.
I agree . R3 works for me .
But I just bought some Klim Dakar pants to kick around in .
2001 R 1150 GS 1978 R 100RS 1976 XT-500 1964 CL-72
1955 CJ-5 1975 F-250 Highboy
Snowbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:16 AM   #8
ar1814
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
The difference between a Z-Liner and a removable liner is exactly that the latter is removable. With a Z-Liner, you're stuck with the liner in, even if it's hot and not raining.

And yes, the fact that the suit will get wet on the outside bothers me, because it needs hours to dry completely. That the main reason why I sold my BMW Savannah for a Klim Latitude with laminated gore-tex.

I agree on the fact that the BMW high-end suits are completely waterproof with the removable liner in (tried the Savannah and the Rallye 2).

________

I like the styling of the GS Dry suit though, and it fills a gap in the BMW range. Does someone have an idea of the price range ?
ar1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:33 AM   #9
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,136
Quote:
The difference between a Z-Liner and a removable liner is exactly that the latter is removable. With a Z-Liner, you're stuck with the liner in, even if it's hot and not raining.
Hard to get too excited about a Z-Liner for this reason.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:57 AM   #10
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 7,074
Looks like the RP4 in Goretex laminate was just a rumor. Too bad.

My dealer has the RP3's for deep discounts and I do like the black and yellow that's been replaced by the blue suit.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:09 AM   #11
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,642
Quote:
With all due respect, no. That's not true. I currently have the BMW Tourance 2 jacket which is claimed to have a waterproof liner. It also has a thermal liner that is removable. That jacket, with the thermal liner out is MUCH lighter and cooler than an Rallye3 with its rain liner in. It is also much cooler than my Comfort Shell with the rain liner in it.

Now... it is not cooler than the Rallye3 with the liner out. That is a frustrating compromise. At temps below 90, the Tourance is fine. Above that, its pretty stuffy.

My Tourance is getting pretty beat up and it will be time for a new jacket soon. The new GS Dry seems to be a pretty good choice. I keep trying to decide if I can live with a zip-in liner and I really would rather not. I want something that is vented enough to handle Northern VA summers but waterproof when I close the vents.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:34 AM   #12
SpaceManSpiff
Man of Mystery

Oddometer: 1,075
Well...I guess I shouldn't be considering the GS Dry suit..."it is for beginners"