User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 02:17 PM   #1
kevinj OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Gerbing owners: which controller?

---- FIRST : IF YOU HAVE A SPARE CONTROLLER YOU NO LONGER NEED, I just may want to buy it from you. Okay, now read on. ----

A question specifically for the Gerbing owners:

what controller do you recommend?

As far as I can tell, there are single or dual control units; and portable or permanently mounted units; all of these range between $80 and $130 or so. Then there's a simple on/off switch for $20 or so.

I currently own a jacket liner. I may purchase an additional pant liner if I find I need it (here in Seattle the winters are fairly mild). It's unlikely that I would purchase additional heated gear such as heated soles or heated gloves (I have a battery-powered pair). I will be riding in town and on highways (0-80mph, let's say) in temperatures down to around 30 degrees. I currently have the sucky stock windshield on my 12gs.

Is it useful to control temperature separately for pants/jacket?

My controller would likely remain on the bike forever; is it useful to spend the extra $20 for the "permanent" model or can you easily zip-tie the portable unit? (r1200gs)

Is the "advanced" set-a-temperature functionality of the expensive units an improvement over a simple off/on switch?

I feel disgusted about spending $100 on such a simple piece of electronics (perhaps this is where their profit margin is, like wine in restaurants?). Are there simple home-grown $15 solutions that are functionally equivalent?

Thanks very much to all fellow inmates,

Kevin

PS I've already purchased the Gerbing jacket liner, so please no endorsements for other wonderful products here - for better or for worse, I'm committed at this point.
kevinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:26 PM   #2
kevinj OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
An additional question : it seems some other brands offer wireless controllers. I would love not to have wire flopping around when I'm riding. Has anyone made a wireless solution work with a Gerbing jacket liner?

Thanks!
kevinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:56 PM   #3
NJ Moto
Running Free

Oddometer: 7,398
No sense in buying a single controller only to later find out you need to add another heated piece. Get the dual controller and you'll be ready to expand in the future.

Seperate controls for each piece is the way to go .

With electric gloves and jacket liner I can ride comfortably in some very cold temps. My legs don't get too cold.

No experience with the wireless stuff. I'd like to know more about it too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuKeu...feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYqF_BtIwAU
"Can we get a party to finally represent us?" - Cenk Uygur
NJ Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:57 PM   #4
shanekingsley
Motoman

Oddometer: 135
Most of the major brands like Gerbing use the coaxial cables. They will work from one brand to the next. I vary my use between a Gerbings or Powerlet jacket, First Gear or Gerbings gloves and Powerlet socks. They all use coaxial cables.

Since I occasionally run my jacket with either gloves or socks, I bought the remote dual controller from Warm n Safe. Works great. No wires off the bike except the one that plugs into the jacket. And I just Zip tie it to my brake fluid reservoir. I thought about buying a single controller, but for the few extra $, I just bought the dual and am glad I did.
shanekingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:02 PM   #5
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinj View Post
---- FIRST : IF YOU HAVE A SPARE CONTROLLER YOU NO LONGER NEED, I just may want to buy it from you. Okay, now read on. ----

A question specifically for the Gerbing owners:

what controller do you recommend?

As far as I can tell, there are single or dual control units; and portable or permanently mounted units; all of these range between $80 and $130 or so. Then there's a simple on/off switch for $20 or so.

I currently own a jacket liner. I may purchase an additional pant liner if I find I need it (here in Seattle the winters are fairly mild). It's unlikely that I would purchase additional heated gear such as heated soles or heated gloves (I have a battery-powered pair). I will be riding in town and on highways (0-80mph, let's say) in temperatures down to around 30 degrees. I currently have the sucky stock windshield on my 12gs.

Is it useful to control temperature separately for pants/jacket?

My controller would likely remain on the bike forever; is it useful to spend the extra $20 for the "permanent" model or can you easily zip-tie the portable unit? (r1200gs)

Is the "advanced" set-a-temperature functionality of the expensive units an improvement over a simple off/on switch?

I feel disgusted about spending $100 on such a simple piece of electronics (perhaps this is where their profit margin is, like wine in restaurants?). Are there simple home-grown $15 solutions that are functionally equivalent?

Thanks very much to all fellow inmates,

Kevin

PS I've already purchased the Gerbing jacket liner, so please no endorsements for other wonderful products here - for better or for worse, I'm committed at this point.
First off considering between a simple on/off and the variable controller, you definitely want the variable control. Its so nice to set it and "forget it". I started with an off brand vest and simple on/off and although it was nice to have heat, it really does become how long can you stand the heat before you flip it off and then you get cold and flip it back on. Its a constant battle of hot & cold.

I eventually upgraded to a Gerbing liner with the double portable control. I got the pouch that allows it to hook to the belt on my jacket. I was amazed at how nice it was to have the heat dialed in and the liner was definitely a nice upgrade over the vest.

Now on to your next question. Portable vs permanent and single vs dual. I have the gloves, liner, & pants. My liner is an older liner where gloves are on the same circuit as the liner and I didn't think I'd like that, but I actually do. My pants can be hooked to the jacket, but since I have a dual, I usually run them on the 2nd system. IMOP, I'm not sure I could stand the jacket and pants being on the same circuit. I tend to run the jacket a lot warmer than the pants. You have a lot of surface area on your legs and it seems to get hot quickly and I always have to turn it down. So if you plan on eventually getting pants, I would get a dual setup.

Portable in my eyes is nice because I have several bikes so even when I ride something else, I can take all my gear with me. I even created a SAE battery tender adapter to a Gerbing plug so I can run my gear on any bike that just has a battery tender plug.

The other reason I like portable is the plug for the jacket liner is buried under your jacket and if you had a permanent hookup, you'd be forced to always plug/unplug under your jacket every time you left the bike. If you had pants on, you'd have 2 plugs to do every time. With the portable unit, its on my jacket and when I first gear up, I plug in the jacket and pants which are buried under my gear and then when I get on the bike, the only plug to worry about is the power plug. When I stop to get off the bike, I only have one plug to undo and everything else stays in place on me. Much simpler in my eyes.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:07 PM   #6
Ron from BC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,286
Ya I think the dual controller is more for separate heat control to the gloves etc. I understand the argument for for a dual however it is subjective.

I live a couple of hundred miles north of you, in the banana belt of BC, and ride all year round. I do wear long johns in the winter but never have needed heat clothing for the legs. The hands can get cold even with the heated grips on the 1150GSA so if you would be doing any winter commuting etc in Seattle I would look at the dual for a pair of heated Gerbings gloves.

On the left control switch area on the 1150 there is an indentation where the housing meets the handlebar. I velcro'd the controller in the indent and it's easy peasy to quickly adjust the temp, which I do often, with my left hand. I'd do the same set up again in a heart beat.

Again, if you plan on doing any longer rides in the winter in the PNW I would invest in the gloves and dual controller. Try to purchase off their 'seconds' rack at Tukwila of course! .....failing that the gloves come up on the flea market frequently.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:23 PM   #7
AMSBIKER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Ah the age old question regarding Gerbing. I went for the single controller initially and mounted it on the handle bars. Kept blowing them and having to have them replaced. Apparently they can only take one garment. Jacket or gloves or trousers etc. any more than that ( ie jacket and trousers plugged together) and they blow and have to be replaced. You need the dual controller cor this. I then just used it with the jacket but to tell you the truth even on the lowest setting it's still too bloody hot so I mounted a toggle on/off stitch on the handle bars and just use that instead. I've used the full suit, trousers, jacket, socks, and gloves for a few years now and have found the toggle sitch is the best way to go for me. Having a large fairing also helps I think :)

Also each garment seems to be at a different temperature. Ie. jacket is boiling but the gloves are only luke warm, and are trousers are on but not hot. Also only one wire onto bike.

I also used the bike hookup to charge the bike with an optimate. Just changed the optimate connection to a gerbing one.

AB
AMSBIKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:41 PM   #8
VStromTom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
Don't fuck around with the on/off, or the single when the dual is available for not much money. Think back to how many times you tried to save a dime and ended up spending $1 on what you knew was best the first time. Gheez, how many times does it take us to learn that simple lesson. Don't overthink some of this shit.
VStromTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #9
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Oddometer: 911
Dual controller and be done. I've got the jacket liner, overpants, gloves, and insoles. I can ride all day in single-degree weather comfortably. I've said it before and I'll say it again; Gerbing's heated gear was the best riding investment I've ever made. There's no such thing as "too cold to ride".
Old 10-10-2012, 07:35 PM   #10
CPORet
I Am Kirok!

Oddometer: 208
I just picked up a Gerbing jacket liner this afternoon. When it came to controllers, I told the salesman that
I'd better get the dual control because I'd probably regret it later if I didn't . Yeah, it was a few bucks more,
but at least now I can either get the gloves and/or pants and not have to suck up the cost of another new
controller. I would have preferred wireless, bug once I hang the controller off my mesh jacket, I forget it's
even there.

The real fun is going to be when I forget I'm still connected and start walking away......
CPORet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:37 PM   #11
Ron from BC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPORet View Post

The real fun is going to be when I forget I'm still connected and start walking away......
I do that all the time, it pulls off easily and it's never caused a problem.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:08 PM   #12
CPORet
I Am Kirok!

Oddometer: 208
Yeah, I kinda figured that. It's the "what a dork!" looks I'll get that bother me.....
CPORet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:52 PM   #13
FlowBee
Just me.

Oddometer: 5,740
FWIW - AFAIK all of the coaxial controllers and liners work with each other since the original working relationship between Mike and Gerbings. They formed a defacto standard.

That said, I've been using a dual heat-troller with a G2 W&S liner (always) and W&S WP gloves (sometimes) for a while now. I've always been frustrated about what to do with the extra cable on the controller when I usually wasn't using the gloves. 2 of the bikes have heated grips so the gloves are not used very often.

Now I also have a DR650 with it's limited extra wattage (70W MAX!). I'm taking a big trip south of the border soon, so I want to use my liner only. Instead of screwing around with the larger wired clunky dual heat troller I decided to pick up a thin W&S 5-position manual controller and also pick up the small waterproof remote. The remote is paired to the wired 5-position waterproof control, which can be left in the pocket of the liner and still leaves a single coax to connect to the bike. This way the wireless remote controls the temperature 3-100% with an infinitely variable controller. But if the remote is lost, dies, no battery, etc I can still use the wired 5-position control. Costs the same as the regular wireless remote and receiver, except for an extra inch in length of the wired receiver I can also control it manually if needed instead of just falling back to 33% with no control. Redundancy at the same price.

My $0.02. It's an option for all coaxial heated gear systems.

This isn't meant as spam. I have no relation to Mike at W&S except as a fanboy.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:53 AM   #14
ManiZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
There is a very simple reason for using the dual controller; you need to be able to control your core temp separately from the extremities. A warm core keeps the extremities warm through blood circulation. Setting the gloves at the same temp as the jacket liner would give you clammy hands at the cost of a cozy core. Handle them separately, and you will be amazed at how comfortable you are all around.

I ride in the 30s throughout winter with Gerbing's jacket liner and T5 gloves plus dual controller. My liner rarely goes above 75% on the dial and gloves above 50% at highway speeds. On the streets, both are set way lower. But either way, gloves are always 1/4 below the liner on the controller.

I just bought their socks but haven't tried them yet. They will be regulated with the same knob on the controller as the gloves.

Since you are new at this, I would say to never underestimate the need for keeping the jacket liner stuck to your skin. I struggled with that (under my Olympia Viper jacket and its wind+quilted layers) the last two winters. Even though the liner was a perfect size; the biting cold wind used to somehow always find a way under my jacket. This summer, I got a Forcefield chest+back protector, so now wearing the Gerbing liner under it feels amazingly warm as it is held very tight around my core. I do wear a very thin cotton thermal under it as Gerbing recommends.

Parting thought; buy a good thermal to wear under windproof riding pants (tucked/sealed into your boots), and you may not need Gerbing's pant liner. I never did. Legs are massive and don't react to cold the way arms do. You may find, as I did, that heated socks would an awesome addition though!
ManiZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:04 AM   #15
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiZ View Post
There is a very simple reason for using the dual controller; you need to be able to control your core temp separately from the extremities. A warm core keeps the extremities warm through blood circulation. Setting the gloves at the same temp as the jacket liner would give you clammy hands at the cost of a cozy core. Handle them separately, and you will be amazed at how comfortable you are all around.

I ride in the 30s throughout winter with Gerbing's jacket liner and T5 gloves plus dual controller. My liner rarely goes above 75% on the dial and gloves above 50% at highway speeds. On the streets, both are set way lower. But either way, gloves are always 1/4 below the liner on the controller.

I just bought their socks but haven't tried them yet. They will be regulated with the same knob on the controller as the gloves.

Since you are new at this, I would say to never underestimate the need for keeping the jacket liner stuck to your skin. I struggled with that (under my Olympia Viper jacket and its wind+quilted layers) the last two winters. Even though the liner was a perfect size; the biting cold wind used to somehow always find a way under my jacket. This summer, I got a Forcefield chest+back protector, so now wearing the Gerbing liner under it feels amazingly warm as it is held very tight around my core. I do wear a very thin cotton thermal under it as Gerbing recommends.

Parting thought; buy a good thermal to wear under windproof riding pants (tucked/sealed into your boots), and you may not need Gerbing's pant liner. I never did. Legs are massive and don't react to cold the way arms do. You may find, as I did, that heated socks would an awesome addition though!
Yeah, I think a lot of people struggle with not having their electric gear fitting snug enough. Its easier with a vest though to wear snug and not bother you vs having a liner that feels snug. I knew from my vest days though that I wanted it to be snug around my core and mine is. That is a great idea though of the Forcefield chest+back protector to keep a lose fitting liner to be more snug around your body.

I still need to add the socks to my setup. My feet naturally stay cold, even in the house I generally have to keep my feet covered with socks or slippers as they are always cold, so that is the one place I'm still struggling in cold weather riding. The pants liner helps a lot, but bet with heated soles or sock's, I would be set.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote