Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 09:48 AM   #1
Tallbastid OP
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,316
Nissan Truck Thread

I'll be replacing my Jeep in the next 6 months. I've always wanted a new style 4x4 access cab Tacoma, but have recently read some reviews about the new Frontiers being better trucks for the money. What are your experiences?

For what it's worth, I'm looking for 4x4, M/T, access or king cab. Concerned most with fuel economy, reliability, resale value and interior room (I'm 6'8"). I'll be buying new and driving the wheels off it.
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:53 AM   #2
rdtrvlr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
if you are looking new, good luck finding a manual trans unless you order it. that's what the dealer here is telling me. same for tacomas.
rdtrvlr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:58 AM   #3
Beez
Given to fly

Oddometer: 5,772
2005 Frontier Nismo with crew cab here. Been reliable and fun to drive but the mpg is shit. Worst thing about it. Otherwise I love the truck. Plenty of other truck threads here if you search that discuss the pros & cons of Tacomas and Frontiers & others.

Oh, Frontier is much better for tall people than the Toyota.
Beez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:01 AM   #4
Tallbastid OP
Let's get tropical

Yeah, I've looked through most of the truck threads but they are almost soley dealing with the Tacos. I've also read Nissans are better for apes such as myself. When you say gas mileage is shit, what numbers you looking at? Co worker of mine has the new Nissan and just got 23 on a hgihway trip. If I can average 20 or better I'll be happy, coming from a Jeep with 15-16avg.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:47 AM   #5
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,442
My dad has a 2009 Frontier 4 door 4x4. Bought it brand new, and got it for surprisingly cheap. I think he paid right under $20,000 for it new. I think it had been sitting on the lot for a bit over a year, and was an inventory trade from another dealer a couple hundred miles away. I think the retail on it now is about what he paid for it. A friend of mine bought a 2006 Taco off lease with 36,000 miles the same week. The used Taco cost more than the new Frontier cost.

I really like the Nissan. Mileage isn't good, but it's not worse than the Tacomas. I would think that coming from the Jeep you will be fine as far as that goes.

I am 6'2" and find the Nissan real comfortable in the front seats, but not at all comfortable in the back seat. My sport trac has a much better back seat. The Frontier is awesome on the highway and has lots of power. It feels stable and comfortable cruising at 80+ mph.

You get much more truck for the money in the Nissan. Drive both, and see what you like.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:00 AM   #6
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,852
We had a 2008 Pathfinder that we put 100K miles on. Great vehicle! Engine, transmission, etc are the same as the Frontier. Only issue was gas mileage. I think we averaged 17 MPG over those 100K miles. Some tanks were in the 23-25 range on long flat highways, some around 10-12 if pulling a decent sized trailer. My wife did most of the driving, and she would get around 16 in town.

If I needed a truck, I would put the Frontier on the list of truck to look at. Or, for the same money and 2 fewer MPG you can get a Titan (I have owned two of those ).
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:11 AM   #7
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 27,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodfart View Post
I'll be replacing my Jeep in the next 6 months. I've always wanted a new style 4x4 access cab Tacoma, but have recently read some reviews about the new Frontiers being better trucks for the money. What are your experiences?
I test drove a friends 4 door, 4wd, 5 speed manual Frontier a year or so ago. Absolutely loved it. But I'm thinking for the same price I can get a full size Dodge that gets better mileage. When it's time for me to get a new vehicle I'm going to have some real soul searching to do.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:42 AM   #8
Roam
If you want to

Oddometer: 1,049
I've got a 2011 Frontier 4x4 King cab with the manual transmission. I very rarely get out on the highway and average 19 mpg. Since the truck is rated at 15mpg city and 20mpg highway I'm pretty pleased.

You can find my fuel log on fuelly.com . The name of my truck is Tortoise.

I believe Tacos get about 1mpg better than the Frontiers.

Roam screwed with this post 10-02-2012 at 11:47 AM
Roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:53 AM   #9
Tallbastid OP
Let's get tropical

Some great information guys; thanks. I agree with it being more truck for the money, or appearing to be at least. Some of the used tacomas with 40-60,000 miles are only a few thousand bucks off buying new!

19mpg around town is more than fine by me, and I will be driving a lot of highway but rarely cruise faster than 70mph. I'm only looking at the rear seats as being quick people movers or dry storage. I'm also looking for a bare bones truck; power windows/locks/cruise control are the only option I have to have. Wont be offroad, wont be modified. My budget is 20-25K.

Full size trucks are out also; I don't need the payload/trailering capabilities, though if an F150 could be bought with a small diesel that got around 30mpg I would have already bought it.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:48 PM   #10
Roam
If you want to

Oddometer: 1,049
My SV was 21k new. Used was about $18k.

The one trip on the highway at 70 mph I got 21mpg with a Buell Ulysses in the back that had a giant / huge / monstrous wind shield on it.

The unitrack system with the bed liner is also very convenient.

Roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:35 PM   #11
Rodzilla
Horny as Hell

Oddometer: 1,491
I own the Frontiers big brother, the Titan.

Mechanically, it has been outstanding and flat hauls ass. I can pull the Colorado Mountain roads, loaded with bikes and pulling my pop-up camper as fast as I am comfortable.

Assuming Nissan uses the same components across the various models...

The interior is crap. First thing you do is buy seat covers. Period. I kid you not, spilling WATER on the seats stains them. True story.

Exterior paint is a bit thin. Although mine has held up, they are not the thickest/best quality

Black Plastics. Nissan uses black plastics for things like bumpers and cowls, they fade after a couple of years of direct sun. Most guys paint them with bedliner.

Still, I would buy another, I'd just make sure to take steps to keep the inside looking better from the day I brought it home.

BTW, I get around 13mpg on the big Nissan V-8, My coworker gets 16 with his exterra
Certified SAE J1287 sound tester
Rodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:38 PM   #12
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,680
1993 F250 Extended Cab 7.3L naturally aspirated indirect injection diesel..

Whilst I enjoy Nissan trucks, $18k buys a lot of maintenance and diesel, since these could be had for dirt cheap.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:02 PM   #13
Tallbastid OP
Let's get tropical

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
1993 F250 Extended Cab 7.3L naturally aspirated indirect injection diesel..

Whilst I enjoy Nissan trucks, $18k buys a lot of maintenance and diesel, since these could be had for dirt cheap.

I hear you, and I know for the same if not less money I could own a used full size pickup and be more comfortable. I'm sick of the used-shit crapshoot. Needless to say, I've lost the gamble a few times, and when that gamble needs to get you to work everyday, sometimes it's just better to pony up the cash.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:27 PM   #14
Doc.Snyder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
Had a 2010 Frontier SE 4x4 manual. Bought it after comparing with Tacoma and other mid sized trucks.

Fantastic truck. I shouldn't have sold it :-(
Powerful engine, strong chassis, great design and interior.
I miss it.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:02 PM   #15
Will LC8
I stubbed my toe

Oddometer: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodfart View Post
Yeah, I've looked through most of the truck threads but they are almost soley dealing with the Tacos. I've also read Nissans are better for apes such as myself. When you say gas mileage is shit, what numbers you looking at? Co worker of mine has the new Nissan and just got 23 on a hgihway trip. If I can average 20 or better I'll be happy, coming from a Jeep with 15-16avg.
I have an 08 Frontier Crew Cab and get 15 MPG avg. Same MPG as the Jeep I taded in on it but I have a lot more power. Best I've gotten is around 20 MPG on the highway. I do get three more MPG towing than the Jeep did and it's much more enjoyable since I actully don't have my foot to the floor. I wish I got these 20 mpg averages you guys are talking about.

http://abuddyforlife.org/
Will LC8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: