Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 06:04 PM   #16
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,074
I bought a 2012 Frontier king cab 4x4 auto back in August. So far, I really like it. I've only put about 1600 miles on it (I like to ride my motorcycles ), but I'm getting between 20 and 22 mpg, in an even mix of city, highway and rural driving. I haven't heard of anyone else getting that kind of mileage, but I'm not complaining.

I went with the Nissan over the Toyota because it seemed like truck more for the money and I can't stand the looks of the Tacomas. I know that's a dumb reason, but I couldn't see spending that kind of money for something I didn't like.

I'm only 5'11", but there is a ton more room to move the seat back. Don't expect to put a person in the jump seats if you get the king cab, there's just not a lot of room back there. I'm kind of sorry I didn't go for the crew cab, but no other complaints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodfart View Post
I hear you, and I know for the same if not less money I could own a used full size pickup and be more comfortable. I'm sick of the used-shit crapshoot. Needless to say, I've lost the gamble a few times, and when that gamble needs to get you to work everyday, sometimes it's just better to pony up the cash.
I'm with you there. I said many times that I would never buy a new vehicle, but after owning one crappy used truck after another, I just couldn't take it any more. No one ever gets rid of a good truck.
cjbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:38 PM   #17
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,005
I ordered up an '08 Nismo (old name for the pro-4x package) king cab 2WD with a locker. Had to get an automatic. Great truck, got high teens to low 20 MPG. It was a company truck so I only got it for a year. Had a few money issues and had to wait until '10 to get another new truck. This time I got an Xterra (same thing as a Frontier only the SUV form). Same thing, got the off-road package but this time 4WD and a stick shift. I really like this combo. So much so that I gave up on the company truck and actually bought it.

The king cab frontier has a joke of a back seat. It is a horrible back seat, unfit for any human. But the area for storage is good. The utili-track is great. Beefy tie downs that are the best of any of the competition. Power is very nice. I have never been for a lack of power, The specs for the V6 are about the same as a small V8. If you use the power, mileage will go away. Drive gentle, don't lift or high rolling resistance offroad tires and mileage can be real good.

I have a trailer for hauling the bike and other truck dutys, and needed more interior space, so the Xterra was my step above the Frontier. A couple weeks ago I went up to the mountains for a family gathering. Couple hundred miles eah way. For once without a trailer in tow. Driving somewhat fastish (70 or so) I got 21½MPG up the mountain and 24½ down and averaged 22½ round trip (gas fill was not exactly at the halfway point). Roof rack is more drag then a Frontier, it should do better. Best reference I have is a coworker got a FJcruiser (Toyota's SUV version of the truck) and all he can get for mileage is 14 MPG, that is trying to get good mileage out of it. Less then a year old and looking to get rid of it because the mileage sucks so bad.

Currently the 2012 is out of production and no sign of the 2013 yet. Reports are they are moving the production from the Tennesse plant to the Mississippi plant (the trucks are even american made!)
As for the comment about the seats water spotting, there are ways to use water to remove the spots.
I like the Nissan trucks, don't have anything against them. If anything maybe a little too much engine, but for the gas mileage it gets I am more then happy.

In the past ('94-'99) I had a BroncoII. In the day it was a great daily driver. 140 HP V6, 5-speed, 20 MPG. Today I have a larger, better equipped, more useful SUV. Almost double the HP, more then double the towing capacity and the same mileage. Amazing how things have progressed over time. I can only guess what will be around in another 10 years when I think about replacing the Xterra I have now.
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:04 AM   #18
Tallbastid OP
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,161
Thanks bronco; I'm not really expecting to have anyone in the jump seats for more than 15-20 minutes at a time, so I don't see a use for a crew cab; nor do I want to sacrifice the bed space for more people space. I will use the dry storage for golf clubs/guns/tools/bike gear 99% of the time. I also don't want to mess with a trailer so the Xterra is out, though I spent some time behind the wheel of one and have nothing but good things to say. CJbiker; I agree; there's not reasont o spend that much on something you dont like. I originally avoided the nissans for that reason - I like Taco's looks better, but the nissans been growing on me quickly.

Do you mind if I ask what you guys have paid who have bought the new nissans somewhat recently? Having never bought a new car, my plan is to get a loan from my bank and have my cash ready to go for otd price. Then I'll kep an eye on dealer lots and call around asking if they'll take my offer. I dont want to dick around with salesmen, financing, etc. I know what I want and what I am willing to pay.
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:37 AM   #19
Roam
If you want to

Oddometer: 923
Check to see of your bank has a car buying service. Mine has one which will give you "preferred" pricing.

Also check out clubfrontier.org There's a what did you pay thread in the dealerships sub forum

Roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:50 AM   #20
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

I pretty much paid invoice minus some cash back deal that Nissan was running at the time. The dealer said he was losing money on the deal, but I seriously doubt that.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:14 AM   #21
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,301
They always say that to make you feel better.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:23 AM   #22
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,730
Yeah, shoot for invoice + factory incentives.

On the Titans I payed 10K off on one, and 12.5K off on the other. Do not expect to get that kind of deal on the Frontier.
RxZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:59 AM   #23
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
They always say that to make you feel better.
I'm sure. He was going on about what a deal it was when I asked him what his holdback was on it. He clammed right up after that.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:43 PM   #24
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

My general thought on buying a new vehicle pricing...
OTD price should be around sticker. discounts = taxes, fees, registration (first year anyway). This can vary greatly depending on local markets. I know some states you pay dearly for the first year registration, others it is only a few bucks.
Some can do better, others can't. Depends on the deal. I could care less for what someone claims they negoatiated the price to, it is what the out the door price that matters to me. I would have to find the paperwork to know for sure, but the Xterra was upper 20s. That included the first year registration that was several hundred bucks.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:49 PM   #25
Tallbastid OP
Let's get tropical

Yeah, that's what I mean, OTD price. I intend to go around with my money in hand offering XXXXX for OTD until I get a hit. If I dont get it, I'll wait a month. I worked sales long enough to know a few tactics, and I frankly want no part of it.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:34 PM   #26
Crocodile Tears
The 906

Oddometer: 3,445
no experience with nissan, but I do have the 2012 tacoma. Its 4x4 4cyl 5spd access cab.

depending on how you drive it I get up to 25mpg with it (cruise at 60 on the highway) but in combined city and freeway commuting (3 miles in city, 18 miles freeway at 75ish each way) I get 21mpg. Im a little guy (5'9") and have a lot of room in the cab behind me - the seats do go pretty far back but at 6'8" it may be a stretch. The 5spd is pretty good, but the automatic I test drove was also good. Supposedly the auto is better on highway but it does like to downshift alot so i tend to doubt it.

If it comes down to looks, I really don't care for the nissan, while I saw the 2012 taco new front end and that put me over the top compared to the old model. It looks pissed

I like it on the whole - considering my new job is a lot of travel, I really should have bought a Golf TDI, but I guess hindsight is 20/20. I really do like the truck and plan to keep it a long time. Wether or not this helps, I dont know.

2009 KLX250S
2005 Bandit 1200S
Crocodile Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:48 PM   #27
Tallbastid OP
Let's get tropical

It does, thanks. I'm still thinking of a 4 cyl Tacoma, just like the one you have. 25mpg sounds awesome, and I'm willing to drive with less power to get there. So far, it just seems like you get more truck for your cash with Nissan. Gonna test drive a couple this weekend I hope. Driving a 2005 civic coupe for the time being, feels like a clown car, but it works. If I can make that work I think I'll be able to make either of these trucks work. Got offers a new tundra access cab 4x4 for $26k otd but the mileage is crap and I don't need the power.

Tallbastid screwed with this post 10-03-2012 at 07:54 PM
Old 10-04-2012, 09:53 AM   #28
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 9,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodfart View Post
So far, it just seems like you get more truck for your cash with Nissan.
Remember to factor resale into that equation.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:24 AM   #29
Tallbastid OP
Let's get tropical

I have; though I am trying for ten years from this truck, so resale isn't very important to me. Everything I've read leads to a coin flip in reliabiltiy between the two, which is my #1 concern.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:18 PM   #30
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

All my referece is to the 4.0 V6. I know there is a 2WD 2.5L option in the king cab frontiers. The 4-cylinder can only be had in the lower trim levels, but I remember it is possible to get it with the basic nice things (cruise, power windows, key fob), but not the top of the line stereo and other upgraded things. Don't know much more then that, I always looked at the V6 to fill my power needs. I wanted enough power to pull the boat and live close enough to work that gas mileage isn't that big of a deal on a daily basis.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: