User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2014, 10:24 AM   #1
Deadlyapollo OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
No bullsh*t assesment

I own a 2013 Vstrom 650 adv, which is about to get touratech hand guards, touratech skid plate, and a sm motech centerstand. I see all these BMW gs being praised as the ultimate adventure bike but when I can do the same traveling on my strom, is there really any need for upgrading to a 800 or 1200gs? I go off road, single track trails , and highways just fine with no issues so what's with the envy of these 20k plus bikes?
Deadlyapollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:52 AM   #2
Kevin C
XTZ 750

Oddometer: 53
No reason
V strom does everything as well as a bmw. Some of the problems that you read about with them are not duplicated with most Japanese bikes. Most people will never be able to use any bike to more than part of its potential anyway. I think that "The long way round" while entertaining did nothing but fill most peoples heads with the fact that they think they NEED a BMW to travel on a motorcycle.
JUST RIDE THE BIKE!
I have been " Adventure touring " for 32 years starting on a pure street bike, never been stuck in the mud, a forest, creek or hill that you couldn't get through, over or around with some common sense.
The BMW company has done a fabulous job of marketing the ADV Touring niche and continues to do so. Don't drink the Kool-aide.
Just ride and enjoy the journey.
Kevin C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:56 AM   #3
Deadlyapollo OP
Adventurer

Actually watching long way down right now. I mean on paper the gs series is better in every way, cept I've done most terrain riding from sand to rivers to deep mud and I have not been in a situation where I need an extra 5 in of suspension travel. All I know is I NEED a new seat. 8+ hours and I'm just done.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:03 AM   #4
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,409
I like the Suzuki Wee Strom. We even let them ride with us on BMW shop rides.

Most of ours are intermediate riders, so basically mountain fire roads. They all do it. I ride a F800gs, I never found one that I could not pass if I wanted to do that.

Why do I think my bike is better?, just look at the specs. You have 6.9" of ground clearance, I have 10", Your front suspension is 5.9" mine is 9", your rear is 6.3" mine is 8.5". The difference is not only obstacles you ride over, but the additional suspension travel dictates how fast you can do it.

I have a 21" wheel, it will go over obstacles better, and provides more stability in most situations. Tubeless vs tubes, spokes vs cast, you can make a case either way, but spoke wheels are more likely to flex than dent (unless you own a F800)
If you think it doesn't make a difference, you are not going fast enough.

My old TDM had almost the same specs as your V Strom 650 Adventure. The decision to sell was made riding some the Alpine loop roads in Colorado.

I did it, even saw some Wee Stroms on it, I was going slower, going around stuff that I can go over now and decided I need something better. My first BMW, so I am certainly not married to it. Always looking for something better. It won't be a Wee Strom.

I am not criticizing YOUR choice, but don't kid yourself. Your bike is good value and maybe it fits where you ride.

itsatdm screwed with this post 07-20-2014 at 11:18 AM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 11:34 AM   #5
Deadlyapollo OP
Adventurer

Maybe my adventures don't require a 21" wheel or spokes. I only ask because I really like the new f800gs. I just wanted to know if it truly is worth swapping rides for or its just hype.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:04 PM   #6
GtiKyle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Hype.

Ride your bike and stop worrying about what the OTHER guy has
GtiKyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 12:11 PM   #7
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Ride them both and decide. I own the most problematic of the years, a 2009. Worse yet it was preorder bike, made before the bike made it to the show room and suffered some quality control issues because of it.

Parallel universe is a different world. It seems like every owner has to add theirs to list of problems and for every one with a problem there is 10 adding comments about it for one reason or the other.

A problem is real if you have it, but BMW actually acts on some of them. To be fair if you are going compare against 2014 Suzuki you ought to be doing it with a post 2012 BMW. Different suspension, different stator cooling, different fuel pump and probably a lot of others things I don't know about.

The best part of the BMW is ergos and frame geometry. Easy to stand up and ride, narrow in the waist so you can move around, probably one of the most stable bikes I have ridden. Once set up for your weight it just goes where you point it, dirt or pavement. Slower turning because of that 21" wheel and it has dirt bike rake and trail.

The engine is a good one, though the fueling is rather abrupt at low rpm. If you are not rock crawling, you likely won't notice it. Very torquey, sneaky fast, lacks kick in pants acceleration that some bikes have. BMW could of it tuned it differently but those features work better in off pavement situations.

But it still has those soft rims. I have a dings, nothing like a member on this site with wee strom, who squared off the rims to the point of needing tubes. But he rode his like a dirt bike. I just add more air.

I agree if you like what you got, why compare to other bikes? Well its the Internet and I didn't start the comparison.

itsatdm screwed with this post 07-20-2014 at 12:24 PM
Old 07-20-2014, 12:21 PM   #8
squonker
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 3,923
I am coming to realize that true adventure riding requires a smaller bike, not a bigger one. I ride a 650, my next dual sport will not be bigger than 450.

Just because a bike has the BMW roundel on it doesn't mean your dick is any bigger. As was previously stated, ride what you want to ride. Another guy's choice may be different to yours; that doesn't make it wrong, but it doesn't make it right for you, either.

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 12:41 PM   #9
oughtsix
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Adventure is something you do, not something you buy. If you have them means and the desire, the purpose-built big adv bikes have got to be a ton of fun, and entertainingly capable to boot. If you are of more modest means like me, you make your compromises and leave it at that. Just go somewhere. If you keep the right mindset you'll have a blast no matter what takes you there.
oughtsix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 01:05 PM   #10
RustyStuff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
I like the Suzuki Wee Strom. We even let them ride with us on BMW shop rides.

Most of ours are intermediate riders, so basically mountain fire roads. They all do it. I ride a F800gs, I never found one that I could not pass if I wanted to do that.

Why do I think my bike is better?, just look at the specs. You have 6.9" of ground clearance, I have 10", Your front suspension is 5.9" mine is 9", your rear is 6.3" mine is 8.5". The difference is not only obstacles you ride over, but the additional suspension travel dictates how fast you can do it.

I have a 21" wheel, it will go over obstacles better, and provides more stability in most situations. Tubeless vs tubes, spokes vs cast, you can make a case either way, but spoke wheels are more likely to flex than dent (unless you own a F800)
If you think it doesn't make a difference, you are not going fast enough.

My old TDM had almost the same specs as your V Strom 650 Adventure. The decision to sell was made riding some the Alpine loop roads in Colorado.

I did it, even saw some Wee Stroms on it, I was going slower, going around stuff that I can go over now and decided I need something better. My first BMW, so I am certainly not married to it. Always looking for something better. It won't be a Wee Strom.

I am not criticizing YOUR choice, but don't kid yourself. Your bike is good value and maybe it fits where you ride.
I'm not sure how doing it faster is any better? Unless your racing, it really doesnt play into it.
All it means is your going to get busted up even worse when you screw up and lose it?

And if you are racing, these are the last bikes you would want to do it on. 550lb pigs best describes ADV bikes.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:10 PM   #11
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtiKyle View Post
Hype.

Ride your bike and stop worrying about what the OTHER guy has
x2
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 01:11 PM   #12
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,645
The only thing that really counts is the smile on your face. Ride what ever makes you smile and worry not about what others ride or what others think of your ride. Simple really!

Paul
Old 07-20-2014, 01:15 PM   #13
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadlyapollo View Post
is there really any need for upgrading to a 800 or 1200gs? I go off road, single track trails , and highways just fine with no issues so what's with the envy of these 20k plus bikes?
There is absolutely no need to upgrade. And that's coming from someone riding a 2014 R1200GS with most bells and whistles.

Riding a GS is about the experience itself. For me it has nothing to do with the fact that it's a BMW or a GS or ... I rarely go off-road, but I really enjoy the GS ergonomics over the RT. I'd get a R1200R if I had to buy a bike today, but that's a different story.

Buying a bike is normally about what you want, not what you really need. I wanted the cruise control, the dynamic ESA, the very good wind management, and all the rest I have learned to enjoy on a GS.

If you aren't really willing to buy one, I wouldn't recommend test riding one as there is quite a difference between riding a GS and riding a Wee. Same as I wouldn't recommend riding a Multistrada if you're not willing to buy one. Or a Street Triple, or a R1200R.

Do whatever you like to do, but if you think you'd rather not spend the money, again, don't test ride either a GS or a Multi. You might get sucked into the vortex if you do ... I know what I enjoy with my GS and I don't give a second thought what others think about that.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 02:03 PM   #14
R71
From central NH

Oddometer: 132
I owned a 04 1150GSA and sold it in 2009. I wanted a sidecar bike and bought a Ural.

I started to miss the 2 Wheel experience and when I saw the 2012 650 with 0% financing I decided to get one.

I love this bike! It is light, quick and effortless to ride.

I kind of like the shaft drive a little better but really the chain has been no bother to maintain.
R71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 02:43 PM   #15
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyStuff View Post
I'm not sure how doing it faster is any better? Unless your racing, it really doesnt play into it.
All it means is your going to get busted up even worse when you screw up and lose it?

And if you are racing, these are the last bikes you would want to do it on. 550lb pigs best describes ADV bikes.
One last post and then resume with personal attacks. It not so much faster, its easier. Faster comes when you realize that. That applies to any of the midsize Adventure bikes.

I don't ride hard terrain, just a lot of bumpy back roads with all the washouts, sand, deep gravel and other crap you run into. Its easy, point and shoot. You are not wrestling with terrain, its predictable. I have a lighter more dirt orientated bike, the feeling is so similar, except the F800 is set up to be more stable on typical dirt roads.

I am an very old intermediate rider. The old saw about "its the rider" is only partly true. The bike helps if it has the some of the better parts on it, especially things like more suspension travel and ground clearance.

You have enough to reasons to buy a DL 650. Cheaper and a good track record for one. Its when you try to tell me it is just as good despite limited travel and ground clearance I begin to doubt what you saying. I owned a bike with almost the same specs as DL for 11 years. I loved it, but it wasn't good enough for me and it had nothing to do with racing.

itsatdm screwed with this post 07-20-2014 at 02:53 PM