Rustycage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:06 AM   #1877
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

Oddometer: 1,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolzen View Post
Why would one need a street engine in the dirt
Gee . . . I can think of 115 reasons . . . called HP. Why don't you ask all the 800XC riders that have a bored Daytona 675 street engine.

The FZ-09 can be programmed however you need it. The B mode is much less sensitive and may be fine off road as it is.

It is light weight with great low, mid, and high RPM power.

I would swap engines with my Wee in a heart beat.

2011 DL650 V-Strom "Real World"
2014 FZ-09 for the "WOW World"
mcmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:20 AM   #1878
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,231
But how many inline triples (or I-4's) on 'dirt bikes'? Tiger800 & Versys1000 are the only ones that I can think of right away...and to call the latter a 'dirt bike' is already stretching it more than a bit!?!

If it's all about hp, then strange they haven't just bolted on a ZX14 or Hayabusa engine....
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:55 AM   #1879
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

Oddometer: 1,445
We are not discussing dirt bikes . . . More like Dual Sports. Unfortunately . . . You have to make your own I4 Dual sport . . . Like this 919 . . . which has very good low and mid range power.

Go ride a triple . . . you may be surprised with the light weight and low end power.

2011 DL650 V-Strom "Real World"
2014 FZ-09 for the "WOW World"
mcmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:29 AM   #1880
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

yes, I once had an older (885) Tiger. Great bike but not a dirtbike. And I loved the engine, but still don't think it would be optimal for offroad. Had an Africa Twin roughly around the same time, that engine was a bit lacking on the street compared to the 885, but if you left the tarmac the AT was miles ahead.
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Old 04-03-2014, 03:54 PM   #1881
Bolzen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmann View Post
Gee . . . I can think of 115 reasons . . . called HP.
Aha, to jam the engine or dig yourself in mud faster. Most engines can be programmed, but only the ones with lowest end traction - s10, ntx, vee, ktm and couple others will go where any triple and all the more four get into a mess fix, given equal tires and driver skills. You say it's not needed -- well, maybe but it doesn't hurt to have it. who knows
Old 04-03-2014, 06:08 PM   #1882
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,434
nah. too much hp is NOT usefull on the dirt.
plenty of down low torque is however.

these ADV bikes are built around being able to ride comfortable long distances on the pavement and yet can also work well in the dirt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmann View Post
Gee . . . I can think of 115 reasons . . . called HP. Why don't you ask all the 800XC riders that have a bored Daytona 675 street engine.

The FZ-09 can be programmed however you need it. The B mode is much less sensitive and may be fine off road as it is.

It is light weight with great low, mid, and high RPM power.

I would swap engines with my Wee in a heart beat.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:37 PM   #1883
nhbubba
Internet Tough Guy

Oddometer: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
the 650 strom motor really is the ideal compromise, just wish they used this suspension on that bike.
+1 (I just found this thread and have been skimming through. Sorry to quote so far back, but that bit really caught my eye.)

I really don't give a damn about the cost of fueling up as much as I care about the range. All the specs say nearly 50 MPG out of this thing.. which isn't far off from what I actually get out of my '11 DL650. So I was all . But so many reviews are now saying uhm, no.

Engine wise, I just don't need this much. All it will do is get me in trouble.

But I do need the suspension, the brakes, the tuning, the refinement vs what I already have.

What's the word on the electrical capacity for aftermarket goodies out of this thing? That's one beef I have lately with my wee; barely enough juice to run all the heated gear I need this early in the season.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:15 AM   #1884
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

" All the specs say nearly 50 MPG out of this thing.. which isn't far off from what I actually get out of my '11 DL650. So I was all . But so many reviews are now saying uhm, no.
"

Journos hammer the bikes hard, and ride relatively fast when doing the test rides. A +1000cc engine's fuel economy is bound to suffer, if you do that.

But it may not be the kind of riding, that YOU usually would do if you had that bike. So: YMMV (a lot!!) ... that said, I would be surprised if the new 1000 fuel economy did get close to the current 650. It probably wont, as it has almost 400 more cc. (The newer 650 uses roughly 10% less gasoline, than your -11 model in stock condition.)
Old 04-04-2014, 04:01 AM   #1885
nhbubba
Internet Tough Guy

Oddometer: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
Journos hammer the bikes hard, and ride relatively fast when doing the test rides. A +1000cc engine's fuel economy is bound to suffer, if you do that.
Yeah yeah. But I ride like that a lot too.

The 49 figure 'zuki advertised sounds a helluva lot better than the 38-42 figures I'm seeing being reported real-world. That's nearly a 20% delta. And I'm not seeing ANYONE reporting the 49 figure or better. Which leads me to believe that 49 is a pipe dream and counting on 42-45 at best is probably appropriate.

That equates to ~200 miles/tank range. Not terrible, but not the 250-300 I have become accustomed to on my wee. Being spoiled is tough sometimes.

But that brings me back to my other point: I really want the suspension and braking hardware. The power I would take, but my license doesn't need it. I can get into more than enough trouble with a my measily little middle weight 650. .. So, I echo what others here have said. Why not just buy a DL650 'glee' and throw the $3-4k in savings at upgrading the suspension and brake.. then blow the rest on gas and hotels while out riding.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:10 AM   #1886
cls
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 980
Power, especially 2-up, and lower revs at highway cruising speed. Otherwise, I agree.
cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 04:18 AM   #1887
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
" I have read elsewhere that the Wee2 exhibits leanness at the bottom "

i have a -12 and now that you mention, yes it could actually be a tiny bit jerky @ way low revs.

But that's lower than where I ever run it. Too much chain slack could also contribute to this. And its FI is overall much more spot on straight out of the box, than the previous model ever was. Goes with 10% less fuel, too, that's development.
Nothing here, but I did adjust the throttle cables on day 1.

Much smoother than my K6 Wee.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:19 AM   #1888
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,642
banter about HP = noobspeak
wrong silo.
move to 'road warriors'

take EXperienced advriders, say 70/30, and ask "what percentage of your total in-saddle time do you use max hp of your motor"? you know the answer.

now, ask that of a bunch of one-year veterans in Road Warriors who just completed msf and have a deathwish
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:22 AM   #1889
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
The 49 figure 'zuki advertised sounds a helluva lot better than the 38-42 figures I'm seeing being reported real-world. That's nearly a 20% delta. And I'm not seeing ANYONE reporting the 49 figure or better. Which leads me to believe that 49 is a pipe dream and counting on 42-45 at best is probably appropriate.
may be a dumb question, but do you see anyone BUT the journalists report the gas mileage yet..?? I´ve seen big differences on those before.

But if you want a seriously economic bike, get a Honda NC700X. The brand new Wee´s not far away, though.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:23 AM   #1890
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22 View Post
one-year veterans in Road Warriors