Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2014, 02:05 AM   #1996
Jake Mountain
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmann View Post
How does it compare with your V1?
The power is pretty close, but the V2 power does come on much lower in the rpm range. The V2 feels slightly more nimble due the better suspension. The brakes are a HUGE improvement. I rode so wet gravel roads for 15 miles or so yesterday and I had the TC set on 1 and it worked great for my heavy handed riding style. I also do NOT see the ABS being an issue for me for gravel or light off road that I would use this bike for. I tried a few panic stops on the different surfaces I encounter and the bike stopped very well every time with a minimum amount of ABS intervention. I am extremely happy with this bike so far.

Jake Mountain screwed with this post 04-20-2014 at 10:42 AM
Jake Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 02:10 AM   #1997
Jake Mountain
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Precious_Juice View Post
The base S10 is $2391 more
ES is $3491 more.

Ive never ridden the 2014 S10, but it looke like a lot of extras. Looks like the S10 could be the better value.
I think for me and my style of riding the S10 would feel like a tank in comparison, I think it's 125 pounds heavier. I traded my C14 on the V2 and it also weighs 625, that bike was just never as flickable as my 03 Vee.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:17 AM   #1998
Jake Mountain
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
all Vstroms, regardless of model (650/1000), or year, have done pretty well two up, loaded with tons of crap, needing perhaps only small suspension tweaking first. One of the higlights of the whole bike actually. I'll be surprised, if the new 1k is a one-up bike.
I'm 6'6" and 300# and I don't see an issue with riding two up on the V2 at all. I have a Givi E55 Maxia that I had on the C14 that will be getting mounted on the V2. That should make it pretty comfy back there. My old Vee has adjustable passenger pegs so I may get a set of those for the V2 as well.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:19 AM   #1999
Dirt_Dad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 500
Confirmed yesterday the 2014 DL1000 will be available for demo rides all day Friday (5/2) and Saturday (5/3) at Romney Cycles, Romney WV.

Of course you are welcome to make a weekend out of it at the Camp and Ride event.
2013 Suzuki DR650SE
2008 Yamaha WR250R (for sale)
Dirt_Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 04:06 AM   #2000
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanb777 View Post

The Suzuki factory Rep told me an optional bike will be coming soon. It will be more like Triumph did with the XC I think. So wire wheels, skid plate, maybe a little more suspension travel etc. Wait and see.
I will have to say I am very intrigued by the new V2. I put 3 seasons on my V and really enjoyed many aspects of that bike but I also did not like a few of the common shortcomings. I am now starting my second season on my S10 which is a great bike..but hey I am always looking. A 21" wheeled V2 could create a lot of interest..
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:12 AM   #2001
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 951
What is 125lbs heavier than a V2? 😶

On paper, the Tenere is a bit beefier. But nowhere near that amount. And once rolling, it's famous for giving off a much lighter experience.

But I agree with the Tank analogy. It is sturdy as heck.

Regardless, it sounds like the V2 is a much refined bike in every way. I'm betting it can be farkled into a worthy Beast. 2-up & solo.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:16 AM   #2002
The_Precious_Juice
Two pump chump

Oddometer: 1,293
Weight comparrison 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Mountain View Post
I think for me and my style of riding the S10 would feel like a tank in comparison, I think it's 125 pounds heavier. I traded my C14 on the V2 and it also weighs 625, that bike was just never as flickable as my 03 Vee.
S10 ES 81lbs (36.8 kg) more.

S10 72lbs (32.7kg) more.

The 2012 S10 handles good, but the V2 seemed much better.

Typical question about more off road vs more street. More continental vs RTW.

I think an XC version would take a lot of business from Yamaha.
Like a lot of folk, i do not need too much profermance off road.
Meaning Ill never complain about having ABS off road, cause ill never push the MC that hard, yet I believe a 21" tyre provides more confidence and less drops and dumps, and i would not miss the handiling in the turns.

The_Precious_Juice screwed with this post 04-20-2014 at 07:26 AM
The_Precious_Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:35 AM   #2003
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,672
I don't think anybody said the new Vee wouldn't be good for 2 up, just comparing between the S10 the Tenere would probably be better. The Tenere just feels like it has more room, the Strom feels smaller and sportier and I like both for those exact reasons.

I also fully expect the Strom to handle better on the street, if not I'd be really dissapointed.

I wonder if the Strom took some design criteria from the new GS. Test rode a watercooler yesterday and had some of the same impressions, sitting lower, tighter, bike turns in quicker (still very neutral) and overall maybe a better street bike than my Tenere. Reminded me more of sitting on the 14 Vee than the Tenere.

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:15 AM   #2004
The_Precious_Juice
Two pump chump

Oddometer: 1,293
Length and wheel base 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dave View Post
I don't think anybody said the new Vee wouldn't be good for 2 up, just comparing between the S10 the Tenere would probably be better. The Tenere just feels like it has more room, the Strom feels smaller and sportier and I like both for those exact reasons.

I also fully expect the Strom to handle better on the street, if not I'd be really dissapointed.

I wonder if the Strom took some design criteria from the new GS. Test rode a watercooler yesterday and had some of the same impressions, sitting lower, tighter, bike turns in quicker (still very neutral) and overall maybe a better street bike than my Tenere. Reminded me more of sitting on the 14 Vee than the Tenere.
V2 89.96" (2285mm)

S10 88.8"

WHEEL Base

V2 61.22" (1555mm)

S10 60.6"

Wheel base is .62" less with the S10. This could help with sport touring.

Lengh is 1.16" less with the S10. Seems like the V2 should have more cargo room.

Earlier we had an Interesting comparison on 2 up ridding ergos for the passenger. Thanks for sharing.
The_Precious_Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:23 AM   #2005
Bolzen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldoval View Post
The Yamaha would probably be the better choice for a long haul, two up, loaded with tons of crap bike. Sort of a two wheeled Land Rover.
LR is light and it breaks, that would be more like Geländewagen. Or better yet a tank, a real tank. Dunno why owners take umbrage at that, not necessarily a bad thing.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:28 AM   #2006
linkweewee
tantum quantum

Oddometer: 13,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Kentor View Post
Is there an option to add a kick stand?
Suzuki's now charging $$$ to ad a kickstand to a new bike? Am guessing that won't go over too well...
Old 04-20-2014, 09:59 AM   #2007
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Precious_Juice View Post

Wheel base is .62" less with the S10. This could help with sport touring.
Don't forget to take into account rake and trail. Personally I've found those numbers on paper tell me more about the way a bike handles (feels in the real world) than wheelbase. Of course it all ties in together to make a package that the engineers have far more of an understanding than I do

The new Strom has a significantly steeper rake than the Tenere, which is more in line with what I want a streetbike to handle like. This to me has always been a detriment in making the Tenere carve canyons, it will just with more effort. The trade off is why such a big bike can feel rock solid sliding through a corner on a fire road.

Just for giggles I looked up the same number comparing the new GS, while it does have a shorter wheelbase the rake is identical to the strom, with a shorter trail (closer to the V than S10 though), which explains what I felt on the road as well. And I like it on the road

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 10:48 AM   #2008
Jake Mountain
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkweewee View Post
Suzuki's now charging $$$ to ad a kickstand to a new bike? Am guessing that won't go over too well...
Not kick stand , but a center stand is optional. The OP mis spoke
Old 04-20-2014, 10:51 AM   #2009
Jake Mountain
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
What is 125lbs heavier than a V2? 😶

On paper, the Tenere is a bit beefier. But nowhere near that amount. And once rolling, it's famous for giving off a much lighter experience.

But I agree with the Tank analogy. It is sturdy as heck.

Regardless, it sounds like the V2 is a much refined bike in every way. I'm betting it can be farkled into a worthy Beast. 2-up & solo.
My mistake, I thought the S10 was 625. It's "only" 585, so it's 85 pounds heavier than the V2. In the end pick what works for you riding style and you will more than likely be happy. I have never ridden an S10 but I don't think the parallel twin would do much for me. But the Vtwin I really like.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:52 AM   #2010
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 951
Excellent observation!

Those rake-trail #'s ARE what we feeeeeel. Regardless of how we describe it or what we prefer.

Literally, both the V2 and GSW have more street bike geometry.

The Tenere has much more dirt bike geometry.

Again, it explains so many of the riders of these machines perceptions. And from that vantage point, things usually make more sense.