Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2014, 11:37 AM   #2011
The_Precious_Juice
Two pump chump

Oddometer: 1,245
Rake and trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dave View Post
Don't forget to take into account rake and trail. Personally I've found those numbers on paper tell me more about the way a bike handles (feels in the real world) than wheelbase. Of course it all ties in together to make a package that the engineers have far more of an understanding than I do

The new Strom has a significantly steeper rake than the Tenere, which is more in line with what I want a streetbike to handle like. This to me has always been a detriment in making the Tenere carve canyons, it will just with more effort. The trade off is why such a big bike can feel rock solid sliding through a corner on a fire road.

Just for giggles I looked up the same number comparing the new GS, while it does have a shorter wheelbase the rake is identical to the strom, with a shorter trail (closer to the V than S10 though), which explains what I felt on the road as well. And I like it on the road
Good point!

That's a great number to look at. Ill have to study them more.

Tank.
Im cool with the saying. Momentum = mass X velocity.

Momentum is important when off road. The S10 has got you covered there.
The_Precious_Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 11:54 AM   #2012
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Precious_Juice View Post
Momentum = mass X velocity.

Momentum is important when off road.
Momentum, yes. But as far as bikes for real off-road, I΄ll still take lighter over heavier any day. All 1000 and up ADV bikes are in fact more than a bit heavy.
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:17 PM   #2013
oldoval
Frank Orator

Oddometer: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Mountain View Post
I have never ridden an S10 but I don't think the parallel twin would do much for me. But the Vtwin I really like.
Just for fun, take one for a spin if you get the chance. I'm not really a parallel twin fan myself, but the Yamaha doesn't really feel like a traditional parallel. It's really smooth with tons of torque off the bottom, yet it spins up pretty fast like a four. To me it felt like a super powerful single, but with no vibration. You don't feel like you're moving that quick until you look down and you've hit 90.

Old 04-20-2014, 12:28 PM   #2014
The_Precious_Juice
Two pump chump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
Momentum, yes. But as far as bikes for real off-road, I΄ll still take lighter over heavier any day. All 1000 and up ADV bikes are in fact more than a bit heavy.
Agreed.

Off road.
For a noob like me, picking up a drooped MC is a concern.

I can't ride aggresive at all, so flicking the MC around and sliding around is not an isssue.

When stealth camping there are times when you have to move the MC around with the engine off, or park her in odd spots, but this is rare.

I think 800cc MC with a 21" trye offer the upper extremes in off roading for me. However, i think the V2 could fit in this category.
Its not much heavier than the other 800 class MC.

I think the engine would be great.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:36 PM   #2015
The_Precious_Juice
Two pump chump

From the S10 SITE.

The 1199cc parallel twin, liquid-cooled engine features a unique 270° crank for superior traction because both pistons fire so closely together. It’s almost like having a big-bore thumper without the uncomfortable vibration.
________
Old 04-20-2014, 12:42 PM   #2016
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

Oddometer: 1,464
I was impressed with my ST Demo ride . . . Very low center of gravity . . . Smooth torquey engine. The shaft drive is nice for long trips . . . However, you cannot gear it down for off roading etc. it is geared a bit tall for trail riding.

2011 DL650 V-Strom "Real World"
2014 FZ-09 for the "WOW World"
mcmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 01:36 PM   #2017
BaldKnob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Using the S10 for tight trails is like using a bazooka for plinking cans and target practice. The wrong tool. That said, despite tall gearing, the engine's copious amounts of torque will lug down a trail and tractor up most grades so long as the rear tire has traction. Picking one up is no picnic but not as difficult as some other top-heavy ADV machines.

I'm hoping Suzuki sells a lot of these new DL's and get people off the beaten path (cruisers) and onto a gravel road. Increased sales will encourage other manufacturers (Honda/Kawasaki) to devote R&D cash towards the ADV genre and We all benefit. Had Yamaha not introduced the Tenere, would BMW have made the WC-GS? KTM the 1190? or would they have been content to keep selling the same ole', same ole'? Loss of market share spurs innovation.
BaldKnob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 01:38 PM   #2018
Jake Mountain
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
Quote:
Which is why I have a KTM 640 enduro. It's like having only 1 gun to hunt everything. Yes it can be done but it's nice to have a few
Old 04-20-2014, 01:53 PM   #2019
Bolzen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Quote:
If someone drops s10 in the mud, he will also drop Vee2. Trust me
Old 04-20-2014, 04:42 PM   #2020
cls
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
Quote:
Which is why I have a KTM 640 enduro. It's like having only 1 gun to hunt everything. Yes it can be done but it's nice to have a few
And the other side of that analogy: "Beware the man w/only one gun. He probably knows how to use it." I love variety and the "right tool for the job," too. OTOH, one bike (or gun) has its advantges, for sure. Make your choices and make the best of it. There is a bright side, either way.
cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 06:46 PM   #2021
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,655
Quote:
Momentum, yes. But as far as bikes for real off-road, I΄ll still take lighter over heavier any day..
without a doubt. IN fact, though I have longish legs, not only Lighter but shorter sometimes helps too in the very very tight, pockmarked, holy-ground kind of terrain. definitely single-cyl 300'ish pound stuff.

I have seen nothing to dissuade me from the view that the V2 rocket competes with the Tigger Roadie. That's the comparison to make.
Comparing to Tenere is not appropriate unless one is .... well,... not serious about what the Tenere is really built for.

I don't know if this market segment is holding up, however. Tiger definitely made a mark, but my gut sense is that the peak is passed. Maybe suzi will turn out to be smarter than I imagine with this road bike
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 06:51 PM   #2022
Farmer Hank
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by cls View Post
And the other side of that analogy: "Beware the man w/only one gun. He probably knows how to use it." I love variety and the "right tool for the job," too. OTOH, one bike (or gun) has its advantges, for sure. Make your choices and make the best of it. There is a bright side, either way.
I agree totally with the 1 bike approach. Every time I have owned more than 1 bike I seemed to spend hours dithering over which bike would be best to ride today. Half the time when I was riding I was bitching that "I should be on the other bike". For those of us who are over analytical and indecisive, not having to choose is the best. Just use the Vstrom for everything and STFU.
Farmer Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:41 PM   #2023
The_Precious_Juice
Two pump chump

Tiger Roadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22 View Post
without a doubt. IN fact, though I have longish legs, not only Lighter but shorter sometimes helps too in the very very tight, pockmarked, holy-ground kind of terrain. definitely single-cyl 300'ish pound stuff.

I have seen nothing to dissuade me from the view that the V2 rocket competes with the Tigger Roadie. That's the comparison to make.
Comparing to Tenere is not appropriate unless one is .... well,... not serious about what the Tenere is really built for.

I don't know if this market segment is holding up, however. Tiger definitely made a mark, but my gut sense is that the peak is passed. Maybe suzi will turn out to be smarter than I imagine with this road bike

Good point. In her current form, the V2 should be contrasted more toward the Roadie.

Good point about the S10. She's after the RGS market.

Peak? Perhaps.
It seems like from 2011 on up, I keep READING about how DS sales keep going up. Granted, I started researching on Jan of 2013. I'm one of the consumers that have driven up the numbers.
If the USA actually started to have small SUV off-raoding diesel cars, maybe I'd go back to having a cage instead of a MC. Hahaha.

The_Precious_Juice screwed with this post 04-20-2014 at 08:55 PM
Old 04-20-2014, 09:47 PM   #2024
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,000
Quote:
I have never ridden an S10 but I don't think the parallel twin would do much for me. But the Vtwin I really like.
The S10 fires at the same intervals and has a similar tune to the V2 Strom. They are both 270 / 450 degree motors.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 10:18 PM   #2025
Bolzen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Yeah, but parallel twins sound like c... and vibrate more. Only L-twin can beat another L-twin.

But as a package Vee2 is just a spare parts set comparing to monolithic s10.