Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2013, 08:14 AM   #361
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
nothing new. the existing 650 & 1000s have that now.
Like someone else mentioned I thought Suzuki would be making it a bit more adv-oriented to better compete with the Tenere and GS.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:16 AM   #362
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,203
i see a fender extender on the bike.
judging by the red show bike, looks like that is stock.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:19 AM   #363
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Like someone else mentioned I thought Suzuki would be making it a bit more adv-oriented to better compete with the Tenere and GS.
the red version has been shown from awhile back so what is new?
that was just wishful thinking/internet speculation that something was going to change from what Suzuki showed way back when. when the red bike was shown it was some what obvious this was a finished product.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:23 AM   #364
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,102
Quote:
we'll see what the price is but i'm guessing much less than other big ADV bikes on the market. this bike could be a real sales winner for Suzuki.
Less than 1200GS for sure.

Winning the sales, well if this was 2009 or 2010, then maybe. Now it's a very congested class, more or less every manufacturer has a model to offer. Also wonder, how long these big ADV tourers will be a hot category, right now definitely, but after a few years it could be something different again. A bit late to the party I think.
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:34 AM   #365
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,898
Quote:
the red version has been shown from awhile back so what is new?
that was just wishful thinking/internet speculation that something was going to change from what Suzuki showed way back when. when the red bike was shown it was some what obvious this was a finished product.
Was hard to seep past the platypus beak when I saw the red version.

But the shock has now worn off...
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:35 AM   #366
eakins
Butler Maps

if he is touring Japan then 250 miles is a good day of riding.
note he's on stock seats so i'd him huge props for making it 250.
most in the US only shoot for 300 miles as a good day anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dave View Post
Seems they want to address the touring crowd here, which the designer states he is part of. Anybody else notice he considers a good day 250 miles?? (400km). Not a bad afternoon ride but we might have a different idea of the bikes intended use

Brakes should be excellent and if they get the ABS and traction control correct this could be interesting. Really, really curious to see what they did with the motor. If they make a significant increase I could see trading in my current Strom. Maybe a Jap version of the Explorer?

I've only owned three bikes with a shaft, and the first two you KNEW it was a shaft everytime you rode it. My Tenere has minimized the shaft effect so much that I'll take the low maintenance anyday. Not that a chain would scare me off, but a shaft done right seems like a good selling point on a bike like this.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:36 AM   #367
precarious
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortious View Post
http://rideapart.com/2013/07/2014-su...talks-details/

These might be the same videos already seen here, but my impression is that off-roadability is not at the top of the list. This will be more geared towards the Multistrada/Tiger Explorer/Capanord crowd than the GS/Tenere/800 XC crowd. This dissapoints me a little bit, but I guess Yamaha makes a nice Japanese off-roader if that is what I'm looking for in a bike. I thought Suzuki would go down the Yamaha path more than the Honda Crosstourer path though...:(

However, the NC700X might be Honda's best effort yet, and be just as capable off-road as the new Vee, but for almost 60% of the price.
The last DL1000 was already really a glorified sport-tourer. It did okay with mild dirt use, but it was pretty ill-suited for anything challenging to ride. I say this as one who experimented with this thoroughly

Suzuki doesn't have a true sport-tourer like a KxxxxGT or Sprint GT, so the Strom fills that niche... with some off-road pretensions and a little more suspension. The lower seat height will be more inviting to some than the Tiger/GS 800s. The price will be more inviting than the 1200 bikes. Everyone loves that V-twin bark. A logical progression from the last bike with Suzuki playing it safe rather than really innovating anything. Maybe they will release an adventure or XC version with better thought out exhaust routing and more ground clearance. Doubtful, but we can dream.
precarious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:36 AM   #368
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Was hard to seep past the platypus beak when I saw the red version.

But the shock has now worn off...
agreed that red did nothing for the look of the bike.
that should have been showing the white one the whole time.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:44 AM   #369
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
Less than 1200GS for sure.

Winning the sales, well if this was 2009 or 2010, then maybe. Now it's a very congested class, more or less every manufacturer has a model to offer. Also wonder, how long these big ADV tourers will be a hot category, right now definitely, but after a few years it could be something different again. A bit late to the party I think.
not congested in the Japanese mfg. segment!
only other option is the Super Tenere at will be more $ than this bike.
there are ALOT of riders that want to be on Suzuki reliable bikes plus many more that are ready to dump BMW because of issues and cost.

what is this new magical bike category that might appear?

people have move from sport tourers to these bikes because they are more comfortable and upright. people buying these are older riders who want comfort. don't see that age segment going any other direction. in the US we have too many cars on the paved roads yet tons of empty easy dirt roads. these bikes can ride those where as pure street bikes cannot. these bikes also have longer suspensions for bad paved roads all over the world. what other bikes have that plus the ability to travel long distances with passengers and luggage.

don't see this segment going anywhere but straight up!!!
Old 07-09-2013, 09:01 AM   #370
Moto-Kafe
Gnarly Entre-manure

Oddometer: 475
Well, the version in the spy-photos is NOT an exact duplicate of the Prototypes. The passenger footpeg mounts are bolted-on now (which is good) where as the prototype version had them welded-on to the rear subframe (bad....if you ever dump the bike hard = bent subframe). So, who knows what else they changed since a few months ago........????? (someone else noted that the "beak" looked smaller this time......maybe due to the color change, but I kinda thought it had also)
Moto-Kafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:24 AM   #371
sierraoffroad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by kojack View Post
Just stumbled upon a secret suzuki designing session. Here are the two main designers, you can see the new strom 1000 in the background

Sent from my A210 using Tapatalk 2

genius
sierraoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:38 AM   #372
sierraoffroad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,267

i see the fender/fork lower protector is a nice touch.
sierraoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:45 AM   #373
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,180
Quote:
>snip
...people have move from sport tourers to these bikes because they are more comfortable and upright. people buying these are older riders who want comfort. don't see that age segment going any other direction.
>snip
...don't see this segment going anywhere but straight up!!!
^^This.

The 'adventure' bike segment is the fastest growing part of the motorcycle industry. Everything else is flat or declining. Like HD wondering where their future customers are going to come from - they are doing nothing to bring in younger riders. What young buck can afford a $20K hog, or want to man-handle a 700 to 800lb scooter.

The large ADV segment is rather eclectic, with S10, GS, Stelvio, 990, 1190, and Tiger Explorer. Did I miss any? That's not really a lot to choose from, not like the 700-800cc class. I guess the big honda isn't coming, so I heard. The new 700 is in the smaller class. So the big 'strom is rather unique - big bike at lesser cost, 'zuk dependable and cheap to run, but definitely road oriented. IMHO all of the bikes in this size class are road oriented. I know, some of the owners think they're really good offroad, but they're all too heavy and expensive to fix if you drop them.

Some of the Tiger XC owners have moved up to the Explorer and then come back. More isn't always better. At 475lbs I just thought that was about the limit of what I wanted to deal with, so my choice really came down to the XC or 990. Since I was looking for road worthiness first, it was an easy choice.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:13 AM   #374
Moto-Kafe
Gnarly Entre-manure

Oddometer: 475
OK........what is the gizmo just before the muffler........some kind of adjustable exhaust valve?? Appears to have two cables or two SS hydraulic lines to "it"..........???? Could it be part of the engine management (adjustment) system the article speaks of (mentions Gixers in the article)........anti-skid system??? Or............

Ideas??
Moto-Kafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:30 AM   #375
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,797
Quote:
..... still has a 19" front wheel so proper ADV tires are available.
??? Don't pretty much all current ADV bikes (excepting the KTM 990) come with a 19" front wheel? If it was a 17" I'd agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
^^This.

The 'adventure' bike segment is the fastest growing part of the motorcycle industry. Everything else is flat or declining. Like HD wondering where their future customers are going to come from - they are doing nothing to bring in younger riders. What young buck can afford a $20K hog, or want to man-handle a 700 to 800lb scooter.

The large ADV segment is rather eclectic, with S10, GS, Stelvio, 990, 1190, and Tiger Explorer. Did I miss any?
I don't know if you want to include the new Caponard or bikes not available in the USA, like Honda's offerings and the Versys 1000, silly Kawasaki and Honda...... I don't know if you want to include the Multistrada, the Magazines do but I see it as a sport bike with ADV ergos and luggage.

I see Honda starting to realize smaller less expensive bikes are what's needed to bring in new riders. They are the stepping stones for new riders as most are not capable or willing to deal with liter plus bikes. Plus not everybody wants or needs that much bike.

HD has pigeon-holed themselves very tightly into a single market. I guess it works for them but I have zero interest in their products. There was a Buell or two I considered but they flushed that right down the drain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
That's not really a lot to choose from, not like the 700-800cc class.
I don't see very many in that class, BMW 800 and Triumph, who else? I wish there were more in that size.

I'd still like to find a 750 twin ADV bike to replace my KLR650. I need something that will cruise 75 mph on the freeway comfortably and carry 2 people when needed for shorter more off-road oriented rides without being the beast my Stelvio is. The Stelvio is awesome for long distance work but rather "beastly" for anything more than a graded dirt road.

I'd like some thing along the lines of a KTM 750 Super Enduro that was passenger friendly and didn't take 3 hrs to service. I don't really need "race ready", but more dirt capable than a Wee would be very nice.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is online now   Reply With Quote