Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2013, 09:56 PM   #616
Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
I get such a kick out of you "suspension" guys. You are on every thread of every bike...but if the number of you were really calculated you are very few, and very few of you even can ride the bike to its original suspension, much less your dream options. This is why the factory guys blow you off....you are 90% BS.

I have yet to buy a factory bike whose suspension is not perfectly adequate 90% of time if properly adjusted.

I just wish this line of BS would stop...its worthless. There is so much more that is pertinent....like proper tires, proper first gear ratios, large enough tank, and of course a quality seat. But keep dreaming. If you want a motocross set up put it on and shut up...please.
Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:15 PM   #617
PiJiL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham View Post
and very few of you even can ride the bike to its original suspension, much less your dream options.

I have yet to buy a factory bike whose suspension is not perfectly adequate 90% of time if properly adjusted.
Awe, did you have to so rude

I can't ride on dirt for shit, seriously, but if I tried to do some of the shit I have been doing with stock fork travel and ride height, I may have broken sum thing

Old 09-05-2013, 10:16 PM   #618
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,765
Quote:
I get such a kick out of you "suspension" guys. You are on every thread of every bike...but if the number of you were really calculated you are very few, and very few of you even can ride the bike to its original suspension, much less your dream options. This is why the factory guys blow you off....you are 90% BS.

I just wish this line of BS would stop...its worthless. There is so much more that is pertinent....like proper tires, proper first gear ratios, large enough tank, and of course a quality seat. But keep dreaming. If you want a motocross set up put it on and shut up...please.

That makes no sense at all, just taking into account the different weights of riders and what they may want to carry.

What bikes have you been buying then?

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:17 PM   #619
PiJiL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiJiL View Post
Awe, did you have to so rude

I can't ride on dirt for shit, seriously, but if I tried to do some of the shit I have been doing with stock fork travel and ride height, I may have broken sum thing

And my guide was riding this

Old 09-06-2013, 12:23 AM   #620
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Mountain View Post
I think as stated in another thread, yamaha would have a winner with a chain drive ADV bike based on their new 800 triple.
I think this new V will be a hit if the price point is right
All chatter and speculation at this moment but Yamaha has shown to the best interest in competing in the ADV category. I have a strong feeling they will go for it. Would be great if the Japanese mfg would swing for the grand slam with bikes like they use to do in the past. Seems the only one doing that is KTM.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:26 AM   #621
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,528
What?
I doesn't take much of a rougher dirt nor a middle of the pack rider to tell when the suspension is harsh or not right.

Quote:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 09-06-2013 at 12:36 AM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:58 AM   #622
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmann View Post
Europe gets Honda's Adventure bike. Too heavy for off road . . . But nice for touring.
Rip Van Winkle? The Crosstourer's been sold in Europe from the start and the vid is over a year old. Also, plenty of people taking them on dirt. In this class, it's the rider not the bike....

twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:56 AM   #623
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,445
Quote:

There is some merit here, but only if you're of the stature that stock bikes are designed to, say 5-9 to 6' and under 200lbs. I'm lucky to be in that size range so stock suspensions do pretty well 90% of the time for me as well. But if you're a larger or smaller rider they definitely need to be modified to work correctly.

And there are always some high-performance rider types that want to upgrade their suspension to match their riding ability. Of course there are some wannabe's that can drop coin, so just allow them to do that if that's what makes them happy. There are plenty of riders that are all about the bike, just love to spend lots of money on parts. Most of the rest of us just want to ride.

We're all not quite sure what's got your panties in such a wad, but consider just reading more and posting less because this isn't much of a contribution. And since it could be considered just a general slam it could easily be deemed trolling.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:32 AM   #624
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
What?
I doesn't take much of a rougher dirt nor a middle of the pack rider to tell when the suspension is harsh or not right.
go directly to the WR250R thread....
on ANY rough downhill any fool, skilled or not, will want to be on the lightest, most enduro-baja-like setup he or she can possibly pick, which means an inexpensive single thumper properly setup.
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:03 AM   #625
rauchman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
kinda sad that 1 or 2 guys opinions of how this bike "should" be used has kept it from being designed to swing for a grand slam with dirt too. they don't realize that Strom buyers are not Suzuki fans per say, but rather more frugal ADV buyers who don't want to pay S10 prices plus don't want BMW-like issues with their bikes. they buy a Strom as it's an affordable option that for the most part has no reliability issues. Suzuki just happens to be the only one in that sub segment. like I said there is a disconnect.

anyway it will be a great upgrade!
Hey, to each their own, but I am not an off road guy. Just looking for a comfortable street bike that isn't crazy expensive that absorbs pot holes, has good leg room and is not crazy bulbous and heavy. I've owned a Gen1 SV650S and currently have an SV1000S. I LOVE the engine in the big SV, but really want something more comfortable that tours well. Aside from the beakiness of the new DL, it looks better than its ancestor.
rauchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:04 AM   #626
svs
All Hands on Deck!

Oddometer: 24,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum View Post
Why pay the cost of "properly modified" when you can spend the $$$ on another marque and get a better bike from the factory with warranty. Me, I'd rather ride the wrench.

Wouldn't your "price point" include the cost of those modifications? What am I missing?

Regards, Paul
The other bikes are 20 to 30% more. Also Modifying is a process that happens during ownership.. As you use the bike you become familiar with it's characteristics and then modify the various systems to your needs/liking..

And as we know expensive bikes are modded too. Most all ADV bike are. It's an integral part of the ownership process...
Old 09-06-2013, 01:22 PM   #627
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by rauchman View Post
Hey, to each their own, but I am not an off road guy. Just looking for a comfortable street bike that isn't crazy expensive that absorbs pot holes, has good leg room and is not crazy bulbous and heavy. I've owned a Gen1 SV650S and currently have an SV1000S. I LOVE the engine in the big SV, but really want something more comfortable that tours well. Aside from the beakiness of the new DL, it looks better than its ancestor.
I had an SV, that I liked, but wanted more 2-up touring capability. The DL fits that bill perfectly, though the new 1000 is still an unknown, but I doubt it will do worse than the old one.
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:26 PM   #628
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 951
Anti-suspension upgrades doesn't bother me. But I'm not sure why pro-suspension upgrades should cause so much angst. Chill?

As for the various arguments against the necessity of the upgrade, I always felt that even if you are happy with your OEM suspension, you still have to address the fact that it deteriorates over time. And quicker than most will acknowledge.

Same is true for our cars\trucks. But it's so much less controversial.

And surely you can tell the huge improvement when you finally replace your worn shocks or struts on your cage?

Truth is, it makes an even bigger difference on 2 wheel dynamics.

Looking forward to this new Strom. And I'm betting the suspension is improved. That's a good thing! (On anything with wheels)
Old 09-06-2013, 03:01 PM   #629
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

if it is de-bugged vs the previous dl1000 [bugly], and the performance is enhanced as the peeps in the vids claim, its going to sound great and run like the proverbial spotted-ape, which qualities will turn some heads from other more placid bikes.
whatever the previous dl1000 problems were [several], lacking potency it ain't. the power on tap is in fact a tad too violent for useful trail work according to many [the FI was not as well sorted as the wee].

so:
- weight reduction ... even a few pounds would be preferable to an oz of gain
- improved frame/suspension - probably more for sport touring than anything non-tarmac
- better top-end performance AND better torque utility
- ugly beak
- anywhere south of $10,000.... But I doubt they'll price there. I would if I were the product manager, but my guess is they'll price south of 12K usd
Old 09-07-2013, 04:58 AM   #630
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

"Suzuki plans to announce its 2014 line during the inaugural AIMExpo in Orlando and has already teased that a new DL1000 is on the way. The company is set to make its return to the MotoGP grid in 2015 as well, a welcome sign that R&D is hard at work. The energy of staff and the extended Suzuki family was palpable during the 50th anniversary and it appears the company is deeply committed to reinvigorating the brand in the States. "

October 16