ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2013, 02:11 PM   #721
Bambi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 682
Hello Pablodakar,
with all of my heart I do hope, these pics are not posted to show me, what a nice bike this 2014 Vstrom is. If so, ok, I'll start drinking. But I think, I can't take enough to think it's nice ...
Sorry, I hope I didn't spoil the party!
Kind regards, Bambi
Old 09-23-2013, 02:22 PM   #722
Bolzen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
No, guys -- it looks funny however twist it. As to the specs, they really hit the nail. Design is the only serious botch. Probably done by some next of kin to Zuki management.
Bolzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:28 PM   #723
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,537
Don't take the GBP figures as gospel. You guys stateside will be paying a lot less.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:29 PM   #724
Bolzen
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
Especially if you consider the Triumph Tiger 800 is making around 94 HP at the crank for less money than the potential selling price of the Strom.
That is only for solo riding.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:35 PM   #725
NateLePain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolzen View Post
Probably done by some next of kin to Zuki management.
Probably a video game junkie who liked Woody Woodpecker.

nlp

10 Triumph St. Triple, '06 BMW F650GSA, '03 Honda XR70R, '03 Honda XR80R, '86 Honda TLR200 Reflex
NateLePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:37 PM   #726
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,074
Quote:
That is only for solo riding.
What is only for solo riding?
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:48 PM   #727
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,682
they have only shown a ABS model as yet, and dealers will be reluctant to order more than one model [that is, one basic model that can either be dressed or undressed].
The DL650 is not cheap anymore in the states. its just under $9,000 [i bought mine brand new for $5500 in 2004]. If I were suzuki and the cost is low enough [their to-build cost] I would bring it in at $9999 and lower the price of the DL650 a little bit. I doubt they are interested in doing that. They will likely price it $11,900 and let it sit as a boutique item in suzi's lineup, relatively-speaking.

what I'm hearing from even good, aggressive, well-run multi-brand dealers is inventory ain't moving. and they got a lot of late model used ones sitting around taking up space

Quote:
Yeah, that's the class as it stands today. Especially since Suzuki increased the size of the engine slightly. In the world of bike marketing it could easily be considered an 1100 and not a 1000, so 1200 is what it is.

I'm not being critical of Suzuki's decision to keep the displacement around 1000cc instead of upping it like the competition. In the market place Suzuki did (really) good things with the weight, but not so much with the power and displacement. Especially if you consider the Triumph Tiger 800 is making around 94 HP at the crank for less money than the potential selling price of the Strom. If the estimated price figure of 10,000 BGP, which would put it around $16,000 mark is considered and accurate.

As I see it, if Suzuki can bring it to the US market for under $12,000 give or take, it will have a winner. If the price is truly around the 16 large mark, then it will be a dud.
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:19 PM   #728
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,429
I'm really a "form follows function" guy, so if it WORKS, I don't really care how it looks. It doesn't really matter anyway, because the "function follows form" guys are all riding cruisers. This DL1000 will lay waste to them, in virtually any test you care to dream up. I rode my '09 DL1000 on a 9 day 4600 mile trip with 9 other guys. Most of them were on big "luxury tourers". Guess who got tired and needed a rest day. 5 of the guys decided to cut the trip short and start home, every one of them on a late model Harley FL.

Five pressed on to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons. Two Harley FL's, a Kawasaki Vulcan 900 LT, a 1970 Norton Commando, and my DL1000.

Now I am wondering if the wife would notice if my '12 DL650 Adventure turned into a '14 DL1000...

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:25 PM   #729
Rustycage
Banned

Oddometer: 3,917
Quote:
Yeah, that's the class as it stands today. Especially since Suzuki increased the size of the engine slightly. In the world of bike marketing it could easily be considered an 1100 and not a 1000, so 1200 is what it is.

I'm not being critical of Suzuki's decision to keep the displacement around 1000cc instead of upping it like the competition. In the market place Suzuki did (really) good things with the weight, but not so much with the power and displacement. Especially if you consider the Triumph Tiger 800 is making around 94 HP at the crank for less money than the potential selling price of the Strom. If the estimated price figure of 10,000 BGP, which would put it around $16,000 mark is considered and accurate.

As I see it, if Suzuki can bring it to the US market for under $12,000 give or take, it will have a winner. If the price is truly around the 16 large mark, then it will be a dud.
+1, price will tell us where they are aiming. My bet is close to mid class msrp's.
Rustycage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:51 PM   #730
zuma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Not really comparing apples with apples comparing the new Vstrom with a 800 Tiger, depends on what you want.

The Vstrom makes 103nm @ 4000; the Tiger 79nm @ 7850.

I'll take the Vstrom thanks, there's nothing quite like a big torquey twin. Hell, even the new Caponard while producing the same torque as the Vstrom from a 1200 motor needs 6800 on the clock to give that figure. If the fuel use figure Suzuki is claiming is correct, it'll be a hell of a lot more frugal than the others in the so called class too.
zuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:52 PM   #731
Bolzen
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
What is only for solo riding?
Zuma has just set it out.

I like the 1000 class -- it has it's niche because now nobody can say anymore, "Oh, this is 650 and i want 800" Or, "No 800, but 1200 is also too much." Now you have it all Besides what class the Stelvio is, some stump of 1.2?

If it only were not for that super 'Foghorn Leghorn' designer, we could have had an almost perfect beast.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:56 PM   #732
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Zuma has just set it out.

I like the 1000 class -- it has it's niche because now nobody can say anymore, "Oh, this is 650 and i want 800" Or, "No 800, but 1200 is also too much." Now you have it all Besides what class the Stelvio is, some stump of 1.2?

If it only were not for that super 'Foghorn Leghorn' designer, we could have had an almost perfect beast.
Still didn't answer my question on what you were referring to as 'only for solo riding'.

And what's 'foghorn leghorn designer'?

I've ridden all of them, even owned a DL1000. For an adventure bike, even two-up, I'd take the XC any day. Still. Even after a year and 9K travel miles on it. It just flat works. At any price-point as well.

When I went to upgrade from my Versys 650 I could have had whatever I wanted - I did not place a $$ limit on my choice. Well, I did draw the line at $20K-plus for a GSA or Multistrada. But decided I didn't want either in any case. The guys I ride with always cover some dirt, so a 21" front is a necessity. A 990 or SE, Tiger or F800 is the way to go for what we do. Always some GS's along as well. At least a couple are converted to a 21 front.

This thread is about the new DL1000 and it looks to be a great bike. If I was going to something more road-oriented it would be a strong contender for me. But if I was going to do that I'd probly just skip it and get a FJR or Concours, or a RT or K-bike then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuma View Post
Not really comparing apples with apples comparing the new Vstrom with a 800 Tiger, depends on what you want.

I'll take the Vstrom thanks, there's nothing quite like a big torquey twin. Hell, even the new Caponard while producing the same torque as the Vstrom from a 1200 motor needs 6800 on the clock to give that figure. If the fuel use figure Suzuki is claiming is correct, it'll be a hell of a lot more frugal than the others in the so called class too.
I think it's a great comparison. Aren't we talking adventure riding? Have you ridden both?

Otherwise, peak torque at a given rpm is an odd reason to choose one over the other IMO. To me it's about how the whole bike works. But everybody has something in mind, so that must be what works for you.

browneye screwed with this post 09-23-2013 at 07:07 PM
Old 09-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #733
Rustycage
Banned

Oddometer: 3,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuma View Post

Plus sounds like a wider ratio tranny
Rustycage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:23 PM   #734
Mighty Kentor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
[CENTER]
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post

This thread is about the new DL1000 and it looks to be a great bike. If I was going to something more road-oriented it would be a strong contender for me. But if I was going to do that I'd probly just skip it and get a FJR or Concours, or a RT or K-bike then.
Leg room is important to me. The FJR, C-14, RT etc don't provide that in the abundance that the DL does. Also, those bikes have way too much plastic on them for a lot of people's tastes, are way heavier than the DL, and are way less fun in the twisties (for me).
Old 09-23-2013, 07:33 PM   #735
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Kentor View Post
Leg room is important to me. The FJR, C-14, RT etc don't provide that in the abundance that the DL does. Also, those bikes have way too much plastic on them for a lot of people's tastes, are way heavier than the DL, and are way less fun in the twisties (for me).

Older thread on just this subject here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=447611