User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2013, 08:03 PM   #841
ADVwannab
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Cool2

Ok, I've been lurking and searching this forum and gotta question. I am currently a Harley rider and looking at these bikes. I recently drove about 60mi to find a dealer with a dl650 in stock, which I looked at and sat on etc. , in which was never offered a test ride ( but never asked) . The thing is my wife is on the back of the Harley every chance she gets. No one that I ride with has one and I'm trying to decide older vs new and dl650 vs dl1000. So was it just dealer I was at or is that the norm with every dealer? I've bought every bike I've owned used and test rode used at HD dealers. I would be adding a second bike not getting rid of the Harley. So just trying to figure how to get on these bikes so I can see what I think will work for me, not trying to start another Vee vs Wee thread. I can't find many used close either. Thanks in advance.
ADVwannab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:50 PM   #842
lexluther11
Ride,Eat,Rest-Repeat

Oddometer: 1,071
If your wife is coming get the DL1000 and you know she will, too much fun to be left behind. I would get a new bike if the money is there.

Good luck and welcome to the asylum.
lexluther11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:19 PM   #843
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVwannab View Post
Ok, I've been lurking and searching this forum and gotta question. I am currently a Harley rider and looking at these bikes. I recently drove about 60mi to find a dealer with a dl650 in stock, which I looked at and sat on etc. , in which was never offered a test ride ( but never asked) . The thing is my wife is on the back of the Harley every chance she gets. No one that I ride with has one and I'm trying to decide older vs new and dl650 vs dl1000. So was it just dealer I was at or is that the norm with every dealer? I've bought every bike I've owned used and test rode used at HD dealers. I would be adding a second bike not getting rid of the Harley. So just trying to figure how to get on these bikes so I can see what I think will work for me, not trying to start another Vee vs Wee thread. I can't find many used close either. Thanks in advance.
The big four don't support a demo program so there's basically three ways to get a test ride:
1. Dealer demo day - when the factory truck comes by with their demo bikes and they have an open house and demo day. Usually happens once a year or so in a general area or dealer.
2. Find a fellow inmate nearby that will let you test theirs.
3. Put money down on one and insist on a test ride before taking delivery. Sometimes they'll let you squeeze out a half dozen miles on one that way. You have to be ready to take delivery if you try to do it this way.

Number 1 or 2 are the best way unless you know you want to buy one.
I was out to the BMW dealer last week and they sold their demo. Guys were buying them and ordering the new WC GS without touching one. That would be a leap of faith for me. Kind of puts a choke on you when you're coughing up over twenty grand for one.

BMW, Triumph, and Ducati all have factory supported demo programs. Without that program the dealer is stuck with a slightly used bike they have to discount to move instead of a factory fresh one. Demo bikes are generally discounted about $800 to $1000, generally under a couple of thousand miles. They DO get demo'd.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:39 AM   #844
mitch96
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
The big four don't support a demo program so there's basically three ways to get a test ride:

If you can make it to any major bike event like Bikeweek in Daytona etc Yam,Suz and Kaw do demo rides. Honda and Triumph stopped a few years ago... That's one of the reasons I go is for the demorides. Rode my dl650 four times before I bought it.. Zero down and zero % intrest helped too!!
Old 10-09-2013, 04:40 AM   #845
mitch96
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Anybody know if the air intakes on the beak really work? or just for show...
Old 10-09-2013, 04:41 AM   #846
Evenflo76
Cheap and Easy

Oddometer: 538
Advwannab. A 650 will ride 2 up all day long. It will also keep up with most hd's.

1000 will keep up with most race replica bikes. They are both comfortable two up tourers.
You didn't mention ur weight. If your on the lighter side the 650 will do. If u are heavier go for 1000. Also understand that 1000 has wider stance than 650. Flat footing is not important imo. For others well...
Another idea. Go test ride one on the used market. Good luck. They are great all around motorcycles.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:27 PM   #847
ADVwannab
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thanks everyone for the replies, that's basically what I figured. Demo,used etc.. for a test ride. The better half and I are a combined 360lbs with me accounting for about 220( you know I have to be overweight to ride a Harley) I'm 5'11" 32"inseam. Guess I'll keep looking and searching. If any of yall are in the neighborhood of the Dragon or Gatlinburg this weekend maybe we'll see you there, I'll be on the 03 road glide.
ADVwannab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:06 PM   #848
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,857
Quote:
Thanks everyone for the replies, that's basically what I figured. Demo,used etc.. for a test ride. The better half and I are a combined 360lbs with me accounting for about 220( you know I have to be overweight to ride a Harley) I'm 5'11" 32"inseam. Guess I'll keep looking and searching. If any of yall are in the neighborhood of the Dragon or Gatlinburg this weekend maybe we'll see you there, I'll be on the 03 road glide.
My Super Tenere makes a nice stablemate for my Road King...
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:09 PM   #849
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,133
Quote:
The better half and I are a combined 360lbs with me accounting for about 220.
We are too, about half n half. So we upgraded from a 650 Versys to the Tiger 800. Handles great, fast and comfortable. Wife is starting to like it better than the car - when we got into the car show with free parking she thought that was pretty cool. She's good for a couple hundred miles now.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:28 AM   #850
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,428
Some UK punters were invited to see the bike last week..

http://www.v-strom.co.uk/phpBB3/view...?f=108&t=20153
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:02 AM   #851
socially stunted
Addict

Oddometer: 37
I'm crossing my fingers that the V Strom 1000 will be offered among the demo rides at the Long Beach International bike show in Dec. I don't remember seeing Suzuki offering demos there before though the wife says she did.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:06 AM   #852
Evenflo76
Cheap and Easy

Oddometer: 538
Suzuki was doing demos at their booth in Daytona at the racetrack last spring.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk now Free
Old 10-11-2013, 08:10 AM   #853
realshelby
FLAKE

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
The thing is my wife is on the back of the Harley every chance she gets. No one that I ride with has one and I'm trying to decide older vs new and dl650 vs dl1000.
The 2012 and 2013 DL 650 have many improvements over the previous models. The 2012 DL 1000 is pretty much the same, although there is now a new ECM for them that REALLY seems to improve the fueling/driveability. They are both about the same "size" as far as ergonomics, the seat being the only real difference. The 650 has more than enough power to ride two up, but you will have to get over how many rpms it turns ( especially after you get off the HD! ). The 1000 has more....relaxed power and plenty of it. The 2012 DL 1000's can be had new for a real bargain, but lack ABS and some other things the new bikes will have.

My wife finds our V Stroms more comfortable than my BMW. They can be very capable and comfortable for long distance touring. Either does a nice job.

WERKS modified clutch baskets for V Strom. Eliminate Chudder for good.
WERKS Final Drive Minders for Beemers available HERE
realshelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:15 PM   #854
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,585
couple of notes:
if you read the press articles from the UK intros some talk well about how small and light the new one feels, comparatively. I don't know what that says as its all subjective, but I don't want a pig...

Talking to local dealer [a really good one btw]:
- nothing in "the system" yet about pricing
- can't imagine it being substantially higher msrp than the current one, just bump for the year and features. but who knows?
- Asked about Tenere sales: they have 2 sitting on the floor that have been there awhile. he said he thinks they have sold 2 since inception.
- Asked about MT-09 and FZ-09. Got 2 MT's in, sold them the next day - apparently people had left contact info. lots of calls etc about. Says the FZ feels so light its "supermoto-like".

here's hoping for Tenere 850 that weighs 400.
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:00 PM   #855
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22 View Post

here's hoping for Tenere 850 that weighs 400.
That will be one very expensive bike in that case.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote