Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:14 PM   #1115
TommyBwell
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Great shots!! I'll see it Friday in Atlanta.
TommyBwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:22 PM   #1116
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,058
Nice close ups on the light mounts. Now we know Suzuki has contracted with SW Motec on their accessories. They make decent stuff.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:39 PM   #1117
sweetlu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Anybody ask what is the alternator output?
sweetlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:30 PM   #1118
dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
The Adventure model at the San Mateo show had an ordinary looking aluminum SWMotech skidplate, not the styled/molded plastic job shown in derrickb's pictures from Dallas. Getting closer to production-readiness ....

-dman
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:52 PM   #1119
i_4ce
wants a WeeStrom

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickb View Post
From the Dallas Motorcycle Show

That valve there looks like a nice crap collector.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:55 AM   #1120
deputygene
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dave View Post
So it seems it just comes down to price for many here. And that's o.k.. Really I think it would have been a STEAL at the prices everyone was speculating.

I still think it could be a good deal. I'll have to ride one to know (and I'd like to sooner than later ) and in the real world I think this is still the best deal going for many here.

Lets forget the adventure image crap for a second. IF what you want is a sport touring all road bike, with enough suspension to take beat up roads,(paved and dirt) in an upright seating position with ergos/legroom that make all day rides a breeze, AND you want liter power, what are your choices? I think it's very competitively priced as it delivers the goods for less than anything else. Seriously, what else meets all of this criteria at anything near this pricepoint?

Read MANY FJR owners buying Teneres for the same reasons.

We keep coming back to the Tenere comparisons for a couple of grand more, but what does that get you? Assuming for a minute (hopefully not a bad assumption) Suzuki can deliver ABS and TCS on par with the Yamaha, I'd say the only advantage FOR THE ABOVE DESCRIBED rider is the shaft drive, and even that will be debated with pros and cons. Tubeless spokes? Please....if you're riding hard enough to crack the mags you will most likely bend the spoked rims beyond ride-ability at some point. I'll take mags. I'd go as far as to say the new strom will probably be a BETTER riding experience for many, and LESS money to. I swear if it had a roundel badge on it the Gspot guys would go on and on about the superior "fit and finish"

If the above doesn't describe you, there are plenty of good choices out there. I'm keepin my Tenere for certain, it has it's strengths. I think I may have room for the new strom to.
" I swear if it had a roundel badge on it the Gspot guys would go on and on about the superior "fit and finish"

Good stuff!!!

I'm lovin the looks of the new Strom, If I ddin't have the 12 DL650 Adventure I would be in line for one of these. Might still be.
deputygene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:32 AM   #1121
Bolzen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
Love the look of new Vee too -- it helps a lot to find a relief from a desire to puke.
Bolzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:46 AM   #1122
jbc1200
Busy Living

Oddometer: 132
I haven't delved too far into the specs on this bike but my take is that it's great that Suzuki gave the 1000 a much needed facelift. The old Stroms to me look like Squidbillies.

I got into motorcycles via a Harley Sportster because I just wanted a motorcycle and didn't know much more than that. After 10k miles on the Sporty I figured out what I really wanted/needed in a bike and went with the 2012 DL650. The pure utilitarian Strom with no pretentiousness was very attractive, and nothing about the bike says "trying too hard" with Dakar/Adventure decals or any of that.

I wanted a bike for daily commuting in any weather, and long weekend rides through the mountains with the wife on the back. The Strom had everything I needed and nothing unnecessary. I ended up with an Adventure model because it's all the dealer had, and we actually use the panniers constantly. Unfortunately we don't have any cool stickers of all the worldly places we haven't been on them. While I would love to take 2 months off and tour the world it's just not in the cards for us. We're just normal folks who really enjoy motorcycle riding without signing up for playing dress up under one of the popular motorcycle stereotype groups.

With all that said, what I don't like about the new DL1000 is that it leaves behind the "don't give a damn" pure utilitarian mantra for looking like the new flock of "Adventure!" motorcycles. It looks like such an obvious copy of the BMW GS with that silly beak thing that it's a real turn off to me. I suppose some people will like that because they can get the BMW look at a Suzuki price, but it just seems like an unfortunate sell out.

Oh well, if that's the market they are after I totally understand. It's business after all. I'm sure I'm in the minority of buyers who purchased based on the simplicity and utilitarian-ness of the Strom.
jbc1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:28 AM   #1123
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_4ce View Post
That valve there looks like a nice crap collector.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:56 AM   #1124
whipit1k
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
It never ceases to amaze me how frequently some digital pics snapped by some dude at a bike show or out in the real world somewhere put the studio pics a manufacturer banks on to introduce their new model to the world to shame. Quite often the pics put out there by the manufacturer show the product from odd angles, fail to show detail, and generally do a poor job of getting me interested. This vstrom is a good example, it looks a lot better than the early pics would lead one to believe
whipit1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:53 AM   #1125
fatboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
I too went to the MC show in Dallas yesterday. The new storm is a great looking bike ... really is ... but I was astonished to see how little ground clearance they gave it. Actually, thought the naked red pictured bike above looked much better than the adventurized version on display. My immediate reaction was ... its beautiful ... then my second reaction was ... its speed bump challenged. Someone is going to solve this but it would have been nice if it came stock with a more utilitarian stance with protection for the oil filter, pipe and O2 sensor. My thinking is that it would/should have been more like the stance of the versys.

Walking around the show, I came across quite a few bikes that looked lower than they needed to be. Its almost like for 2014 everyone decided this was a selling point. Flat foot sells! Dunno, but it sure seemed like it to me and I would hate to think the new strom fell victim to this thinking. Progressive and Race Tech ... are you listening?
fatboy is offline   Reply With Quote