ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2013, 05:30 AM   #1141
capriccio
Beastly Adventurer
 
capriccio's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Oddometer: 2,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
I too went to the MC show in Dallas yesterday. The new storm is a great looking bike ... really is ... but I was astonished to see how little ground clearance they gave it. Actually, thought the naked red pictured bike above looked much better than the adventurized version on display. My immediate reaction was ... its beautiful ... then my second reaction was ... its speed bump challenged. Someone is going to solve this but it would have been nice if it came stock with a more utilitarian stance with protection for the oil filter, pipe and O2 sensor. My thinking is that it would/should have been more like the stance of the versys.

Walking around the show, I came across quite a few bikes that looked lower than they needed to be. Its almost like for 2014 everyone decided this was a selling point. Flat foot sells! Dunno, but it sure seemed like it to me and I would hate to think the new strom fell victim to this thinking. Progressive and Race Tech ... are you listening?
With this much arrogance you should really be on the GS forum. I can't buy my favorite bike, the Stelvio NTX cause I can just about touch the ground with the tips of my toes. The one leg stand isn't an option on 600lbs bike loaded with 100lbs of gear. Everything from gas station aprons to maneuvering in and out of parking spaces, garage etc. is a hassle and I haven't mentioned loose gravel, sand or wet grass yet. What kind of speed bump do you go over cause I never had a problem going over bumps with cruisers. You want a real off road machine go buy one, they are called dirt bikes and all the major mfger's make them.
__________________
Treat others as you would your loved ones and respect your loved ones as you would others.

Capriccio.
capriccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:45 AM   #1142
twinrider
pass the catnip
 
twinrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: 日本
Oddometer: 9,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by capriccio View Post
With this much arrogance you should really be on the GS forum. I can't buy my favorite bike, the Stelvio NTX cause I can just about touch the ground with the tips of my toes. The one leg stand isn't an option on 600lbs bike loaded with 100lbs of gear. Everything from gas station aprons to maneuvering in and out of parking spaces, garage etc. is a hassle and I haven't mentioned loose gravel, sand or wet grass yet.
I have a 30" inseam and have no prob on my S10 with the seat in the high position. A good carpenter doesn't blame his tools...

twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:17 AM   #1143
jbc1200
Busy Living
 
jbc1200's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Ball Ground, GA
Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
I have a 30" inseam and have no prob on my S10 with the seat in the high position. A good carpenter doesn't blame his tools...




That's freaking awesome and made my day!

I'm only 5'6" with a 28" inseam and I probably look like that next to my DL650A. I have to get on and off of it on the side stand kind of like a horse. If I need to move it around I just walk it from the side. I can't straddle it and maneuver it at the same time.
__________________
Blake
2012 V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (sold)
2004 Sportster 1200 (sold)
jbc1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:02 AM   #1144
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo
 
Boon Booni's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Richmond, Va
Oddometer: 13,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
I have a 30" inseam and have no prob on my S10 with the seat in the high position. A good carpenter doesn't blame his tools...

I'm gonna have to try this with my 640 ADV.
__________________
Where the fuck...
Where the fuck is the bike?
You gotta be shitting me.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:16 AM   #1145
capriccio
Beastly Adventurer
 
capriccio's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Oddometer: 2,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
I have a 30" inseam and have no prob on my S10 with the seat in the high position. A good carpenter doesn't blame his tools...

True! Very true, but a carpenters also KNOWS his tools. I also have a 30" inseam and test rode the S10 with no problems what-o-ever. The Stelvio is a different animal, with 32+ seat it will laugh at 30" inseams. It has a thicker frame then the S10 which splays your leg apart just like a horse does. I also had no problem with the Explorer, Tigers, including the XC and to my surprise the GS which is super thin compared to the Stelvio. Now do you capisci?

And the video was definately awesome but does not represent reality. Whats he gonna do in stop and go traffic were you can't split, red lights, toll booths and on and on. Now load that beast with a tank of fuel and a couple weeks worth of stuff including a tool kid and lets see him do that hundreds if not thousands of times without dropping it. I rode my bicycle like that but i won't do it with a (In this case 25K) bike.
__________________
Treat others as you would your loved ones and respect your loved ones as you would others.

Capriccio.

capriccio screwed with this post 11-12-2013 at 08:29 AM
capriccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:58 PM   #1146
evanqueen
Learning Contentment
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Sumter SC
Oddometer: 42
14 VStrom 1000

I went to the Atlanta Progressive Motorcycle Show this weekend. First thing I went to was the Suzuki display area. I sat on the new VStrom 1000 and can say the ergonomics sure felt good. I am 5-9 199lbs 30" length pants. I have my mind set on a Super Tenere with purchase date in 3 months. Rep quoted $12600 for the new Vstrom. I am only comparing ergonomics of these bikes for me and my size IMHO.

1. VStrom
2. Triumph EX 1200
3. GS1200
4. Tenere

The Tenere used I think is a steal. I've seen them sell in the low $9K loaded and new out the door for upper $10K. The Vstrom looked sharp and better in person than in the factory pics. I didn't even notice the beak.
evanqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:21 PM   #1147
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac
 
mcmann's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Jefferson, GA
Oddometer: 1,461
Yep, I was at the same show. The new DL1K felt very well balanced . . . Less top heavy than the 800GS bikes that were at the show.

The ST at the show had hard bags and felt too heavy for my liking. If I was planning on doing a lot of road trips . . . The ST shaft drive would be a big benefit. However, I prefer curvy back road riding.
__________________
Young at heart . . . Never met a bike I didn't like
Motorcycles: my Happy medicine

2011 DL650 V-Strom "Real World"
2014 FZ-09 for the "WOW World"
mcmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:11 AM   #1148
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion
 
BlueLghtning's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Newnan, GA
Oddometer: 4,840
I sat on the new DL1000 at the Atl show also. I'm 6'4"/250 and one thing I've always liked about the strom is the great fit for a larger guy. I do have a Russell Day Long seat so that jacks me up a bit, but the new DL1000 felt quite a bit more compact.

The stock bags on the ADV model are tiny, which may not be bad for a weekend get away, but probably not worth their premium price they are getting for it.
__________________
BlueLghtning - Follow me on my SPOT Messenger
Mine: 09 DL650, 08 WR250R,
Hers: 07 Ninja 650R, 13 CRF250L,
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:10 AM   #1149
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,523
even though many of us think the price is a bit too high they are still in the low range when you see the big picture. buyers will take this into account and strongly consider the strom (if they are not a strom loyalist).

at 12.6K many will still buy, but a chunk will pay a small bit more for other bikes or choose an alternative in the same price. priced $1000 less this bike would be a no brainer for most. only Suzuki knows what they have in the bike and why they priced it. even getting below 12K would have had a huge psychology price advantage to it.

if/when Yamaha comes through with a new mini Super Tenere & how it's priced, could have a huge impact on what Suzuki and others do with pricing.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/887/17...t--12-699.aspx

Adventure-Touring Class MSRP (2013 prices listed in absence of 2014 information)
2014 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Touring ($19,995)
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure (TBA)
2013 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC ($17,199)
2014 BMW R1200GS Adventure ($17,000)
2014 Ducati Multistrada 1200 ($16,995)
2013 Triumph Tiger Explorer ($15,699)
2014 BMW R1200GS ($14,950)
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere ($14,790)
2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 Adventure ($13,999)
2014 BMW F800GS Adventure ($13,550)
2014 BMW F800GS ($12,900)
2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ($12,699)
2013 Triumph Tiger 800 XC ($11,999)
2013 Triumph Tiger 800 ($10,999)
2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650 Adventure ($10,049)
2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ($8549)
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:20 AM   #1150
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanqueen View Post
I went to the Atlanta Progressive Motorcycle Show this weekend. First thing I went to was the Suzuki display area. I sat on the new VStrom 1000 and can say the ergonomics sure felt good. I am 5-9 199lbs 30" length pants. I have my mind set on a Super Tenere with purchase date in 3 months. Rep quoted $12600 for the new Vstrom. I am only comparing ergonomics of these bikes for me and my size IMHO.

1. VStrom
2. Triumph EX 1200
3. GS1200
4. Tenere

The Tenere used I think is a steal. I've seen them sell in the low $9K loaded and new out the door for upper $10K. The Vstrom looked sharp and better in person than in the factory pics. I didn't even notice the beak.
yes used/existing stock Tenere prices (low) are going to have an impact on the new Strom and it's pricing. bike model releases & prices is a game of chess for the mfg. since Yamaha updated the Tenere for 14, new 12 & 13s are gonna be priced to move fast.

given the option of buying this new Strom for 12.6K or finding a new 12 or 13 Tenere for $1000+ less, i'd buy the Tenere all day long!
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:24 AM   #1151
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,523
that is impressive and all...but calculated and unrealistic in the real world.
if you spend any time in the dirt or loaded with camping gear that is not gonna cut it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
I have a 30" inseam and have no prob on my S10 with the seat in the high position. A good carpenter doesn't blame his tools...

__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:55 AM   #1152
Bolzen
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Oddometer: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
Adventure-Touring Class MSRP (2013 prices listed in absence of 2014 information)
2014 Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200 NTX ($16,190)
__________________
vsari.com -- the new horizons!
Bolzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:07 PM   #1153
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor
 
RaY YreKa's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: YreKa BaKery
Oddometer: 16,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
even though many of us think the price is a bit too high they are still in the low range when you see the big picture. buyers will take this into account and strongly consider the strom (if they are not a strom loyalist).

at 12.6K many will still buy, but a chunk will pay a small bit more for other bikes or choose an alternative in the same price. priced $1000 less this bike would be a no brainer for most. only Suzuki knows what they have in the bike and why they priced it. even getting below 12K would have had a huge psychology price advantage to it.

if/when Yamaha comes through with a new mini Super Tenere & how it's priced, could have a huge impact on what Suzuki and others do with pricing.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/887/17...t--12-699.aspx

Adventure-Touring Class MSRP (2013 prices listed in absence of 2014 information)
2014 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Touring ($19,995)
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure (TBA)
2013 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC ($17,199)
2014 BMW R1200GS Adventure ($17,000)
2014 Ducati Multistrada 1200 ($16,995)
2013 Triumph Tiger Explorer ($15,699)
2014 BMW R1200GS ($14,950)
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere ($14,790)
2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 Adventure ($13,999)
2014 BMW F800GS Adventure ($13,550)
2014 BMW F800GS ($12,900)
2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ($12,699)
2013 Triumph Tiger 800 XC ($11,999)
2013 Triumph Tiger 800 ($10,999)
2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650 Adventure ($10,049)
2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ($8549)
Unfarkled I presume?

The amount of built-in kit may become a factor.

ADV is a bit skewed in this regard, it has some very capable riders rigging up all sorts of things, but a lot of the buying public don't really want to get the soldering iron out and mess with the wiring to get their 12000 lumens fog lights running.

They'd just like to turn the key and ride the bike. Then press a button when they want more lighting.
__________________
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:35 AM   #1154
mrpete64
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Oddometer: 566
2014 Tenere

I, also, have been looking at the new 1000...but...I understand that the new Super Tenere will have electronic suspension, larger valves, 3 more hp, and...cruise control. My local Yamaha dealer told me, yesterday, that they are also going to lower the price of the bike. Hmmmmm.
__________________
Mr. Pete---->
aging hippie
mrpete64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:43 AM   #1155
Keithert
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Oddometer: 670
IMO, the picture that the OP posted is a lot better looking than the real 14 Vee turned out.
__________________
2007 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe
2005 Suzuki V-Strom 650
2005 Yamaha XT225
Keithert is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014