Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 05:51 AM   #106
satz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
I guess I'm a minority, but I like it. I hope that Suzuki does go into production with it and I also hope that it proves to be a huge success. Further reenforcing the adventure bike market share.
Me, if they hold below 10k price and avialable ABS , suzuki might give a run to all the 15k plus bikes .
satz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:53 AM   #107
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
It's a 19" Wheel not a 17. It has pretense.

Not according to this link (on post #85), though I donīt know how well informed they are:

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bike...pt/#more-35729

"Originally built around the TL v-twin motor, Suzuki has built a whole new 1,000cc v-twin engine for the new “Strom” bike, and has added other features like traction control and ABS to the mix. With 17″ wheels front and aft, the 2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 looks to be still a very road-oriented machine, though it is possible that Suzuki could produce the bike as two models, each with different wheelsets for road and off-road usage."
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:15 AM   #108
Snowhite808
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by satz View Post
Me, if they hold below 10k price and avialable ABS , suzuki might give a run to all the 15k plus bikes .

Next year - in europe - all bikes will be with only ABS.

10K of what ??? Dollars?
probably no way to have it that cheap.
Might it be cheaper and more reliable than the beemer? - Yes. Than the tenere - maybe.
Than the Multistrada? - F...ing of course.

And to Pecha - 72

This bike that they put out for show -is 17 in the back and 19 up front.

No matter the taste - if it has that motor, will be revised, with better clutch and even 15kg lighter than the DL was - I will buy!
Snowhite808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:16 AM   #109
K0m4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 504
Only just realised: it has chain drive.

Two koolaid bottles avoided then! Good on Suzuki! The third one, the beak, is easily enough changed with a hacksaw....

Introduction/ride report: what's in an adventure?
K0m4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:33 AM   #110
lucas123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
Not according to this link (on post #85), though I donīt know how well informed they are:

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bike...pt/#more-35729

"Originally built around the TL v-twin motor, Suzuki has built a whole new 1,000cc v-twin engine for the new “Strom” bike, and has added other features like traction control and ABS to the mix. With 17″ wheels front and aft, the 2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 looks to be still a very road-oriented machine, though it is possible that Suzuki could produce the bike as two models, each with different wheelsets for road and off-road usage."
Whoever wrote that must be blind.

lucas123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:35 AM   #111
Slvrtundevl
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 504
Put a powered adjustable windscreen on it like the FJR, and i'd buy it..
Old 10-04-2012, 06:39 AM   #112
M0t0Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
I finally put my finger on it.......

Howard the Duck!

Please Suzuki do something about that beak thing....I hate it

I gave it the usual 24hrs to make a decision on the situation and it just did not get any better..

Bike would have to be dirt cheap and the performance stellar to get me on one of these things....

Suzuki has failed in the styling department..

M0t0Rider screwed with this post 10-04-2012 at 07:37 AM
M0t0Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:50 AM   #113
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas123 View Post
Whoever wrote that must be blind.

Yep, it looked like 19 to me from that photo, too.

Also would be strange, if they claimed it an "ADV" bike, but then put 17 inch front on it.

Just fix the front fairing, and make sure those brilliant headlights arenīt gone, otherwise I think itīll be a mighty fine tourer/adventurer.

(... and hopefully itīll be a bit lighter than some of the competition, that would be a smart move)
Old 10-04-2012, 07:57 AM   #114
pjensen641
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman View Post
The bike has upside down adjustable forks and radially mounted brakes.

Yeah, should have been more specific about that. Looks like they more than covered the issue on the concept...which is great!

Some of my points were covered on this concept and some where up in the air. Chief being the clutch basket and fueling in my mind.

I for one am glad to see it stay as a 1000 instead of porking up another 50lbs and going to a 1200. Plenty of choices on the market for a 1200. If they can keep the weight and fuel consumption down a bit due to keeping the 1000 and refining, it gives the DL1K a bit of a niche market. Can you call a 1000cc bike middleweight??
pjensen641 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:38 AM   #115
coast range rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjensen641 View Post
Can you call a 1000cc bike middleweight??
You can call the Multistrada 1200 a middleweight. The new DL1000 will be more successful if they can keep from increasing the weight over the previous version. It should be lighter than shaft drive bikes, and lighter than 3 and 4 cylinder bikes of similar displacement. And 800cc bikes are currently not enough hp for me.
I'm a big fan of Japanese made 90 degree twin motorcycles. I have no problem having to add aftermarket exhaust and ecu reprogram on a new bike to get it to run properly.
Personally I am more concerned with weight than appearance. There are way too many fat pig adventure bikes out there already.
coast range rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:25 AM   #116
M0t0Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205

Hummmm....this looks familiar
M0t0Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:46 AM   #117
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Canīt say the new GS1200 pleases my eye... (or the Versys 1000 for that matter!) The concept DL1000 looks better than either of them IMO.

But I still think its styling will change at least a bit, and most likely towards the current DL650, before it goes into production.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #118
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
Canīt say the new GS1200 pleases my eye... (or the Versys 1000 for that matter!) The concept DL1000 looks better than either of them IMO.

But I still think its styling will change at least a bit, and most likely towards the current DL650, before it goes into production.
my guess is this showing is a reaction campaign.
the used red to draw your attention to features.
even the motor cover is red. red is not the most flattering look for the bike however.
suzuki has to be reading all the feedback found everywhere.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Labor Day Sale: $10/map (6-10 maps) + free case
http://www.butlermaps.com/6for60
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:20 PM   #119
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,449
yes it's obvious who suzuki is going after, but so is everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0t0Rider View Post

Hummmm....this looks familiar
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Labor Day Sale: $10/map (6-10 maps) + free case
http://www.butlermaps.com/6for60
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:34 PM   #120
DDusty
Ddusty

Oddometer: 16
Laugh At last.. BUT

At last a sign of life and resurrection for the real Strom...

Before the rocks start coming in, my biggest concern would be for the existing headlight. I have an '03 DL1000. I own a handful of other bikes and I've rented/ridden a handful of different brands over the last decade. There is NO other bike I know of that has the headlights that are as useful and just plain good/excellent as the VStrom. I make it a point to not ride at night, but have occasionally been caught out. My Strom's headlights are better than some cars I've ridden in. I mean they are so much better it's not even close.
Rented a then new Goldwing, then new GS 1200, then new ST1300, none of their lights came close. I absolutely hated the GS headlight--some half-assed circle with rings of missing light that didn't illuminate a very wide area. I have a MG Norge and it has 4 headlights--all making the same kind of circular pattern but the lighting is uneven. The Tiger's light is poorer by a mile.
If I have to be out after dark I want to see the road really well and I want the lighting to be consistent and light up a wide swath. The cost of "real" aftermarket motorcycle accessory lights is obscene, IMO. I never felt I needed any with the VStrom. OK, just keep the friggin' headlights as the absolute best lights in the business, build the bike around that.

Now then---so who's got spec's on the "new" engine? Did they do anything to HP/torque????

I'm strongly leaning to switch out the Strom & Tiger ('07 1050 ABS) for a newer Tiger 800--which at almost 50 pounds less has basically the same HP (someone else here said they'd miss the HP if they went under 1 liter) and while less torque, I'm thinking with the less weight, it's close enough. (and with less weight the effective HP may be more as well.)

If the new liter Strom has ABS (selectable) with TC, I would be very strongly tempted--but keep the lights!! PLEASE keep the lights!! It's also a styling "homage" to a bike that probably has kept Suzuki's motorcycle division in business through the last few years of economic hell.

A few incoming pelts from under-endowed WeeStrommers now hitting the bunker, I'll close the door for now.

**http://d26ya5yqg8yyvs.cloudfront.net/yelrotflmao.gif Just kidding about the Wee--I rented one for 2 weeks and found it an excellent machine overall, lighter, quicker turn in, etc etc. But it simply runs out of juice at the high end when you need to pass now. I'm glad they make it and gladder still that so many enjoy it. I just need the afterburner kick of the liter.

Proudly over-using gravity since 1953.
DDusty is offline   Reply With Quote