Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2013, 11:15 PM   #1276
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulvt1 View Post
Bit like the Ten then...
No the Ten punches out lots more torque. Tractors don't do power.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:24 AM   #1277
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmann View Post

The Vee2 is a "Sport Adventure Tourer" . . . for the Urban Jungle:
So hold on, BMW has already claimed Starbucks, where are these going to pitch a tent then?

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:47 AM   #1278
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,474
My local dealer reckon's they'll have 1 of 3 Suzuki press bikes available on Dec the 29th to ride.
That'll bring the snow...
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:47 AM   #1279
M0t0Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
I read..... a 2014 Vstrom got crashed at the press release
2000 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R
M0t0Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:21 AM   #1280
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
The seat looks really comfortable as well...
My butt didn't like it.

I noticed that some of the small bits looked kind of cheaply done. Like the kickstand was just flattened bent steel tubing with no real polish.

I'm not saying it is bad but it was a little disappointing.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Old 12-12-2013, 08:40 AM   #1281
TheBlurr
Banned

Oddometer: 5,588
Im very disappointed that this is just another Street bike tagged as an adventure bike.
I was soo looking forward to something that actually competed with the GS or KTM :(
TheBlurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:47 AM   #1282
svs
All Hands on Deck!

Oddometer: 24,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlurr View Post
Im very disappointed that this is just another Street bike tagged as an adventure bike.
I was soo looking forward to something that actually competed with the GS or KTM :(
It's the rider... Take it and ride it anywhere you want.

Suzuki is in a class of it's own with the light weight, Japanese reliability and price point.. Beats every other ADV bike based on those measurements.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:52 AM   #1283
MustMoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0t0Rider View Post
I read..... a 2014 Vstrom got crashed at the press release
That would be me.

you can read my review here -

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/235/17...irst-Ride.aspx
MustMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:53 AM   #1284
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
My butt didn't like it.

I noticed that some of the small bits looked kind of cheaply done. Like the kickstand was just flattened bent steel tubing with no real polish.

I'm not saying it is bad but it was a little disappointing.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
These are my complaints about the big-4 bikes. I think yamaha does the best at least-cheap stuff, kawasaki about the worst. Like the cheap looking 7/8" bars on the new strom...why can't they put something decent on there?

They are built to a price point, so not everything is going to be hi-budget like the euros. This is hard to explain to a big-4 afficianado. Like trying to explain the difference between a mercedes and a nissan. Some will just never get it, more that just don't care, and even more that just don't want to pay for it.

But I do like the design attitude conveyed in the article above about boulder hopping and trail running with a 500lb motorbike. This pervades ADVrider - guys think they're all bad-ass and gonna mod the crap out of their big road bike so they can trail ride. Then they get out there and the thing is on it's side and hundreds if not thousands of dollars in damage. Then they have to pick it up. And there's also a chasm between opinions of what real 'offroad' means. Some of us long-time offroaders just chuckle. We actually had a rider die this year out across Mojave desert on a GS - after picking the pig up countless times, and running out of water, he got overheated, the medi-vac was called but it was too late. This is serious business guys. Don't get in over your head with the wrong kind of bike.

One of our favorite rides in Panamint/Death Valley to Osborne Cabin is a pretty rocky 'offroad' trail. It's a jeep road, but it's rough. Last year we had a poor guy on a wee ride up there with us. We must have waited an hour after we got there and he finally showed up as we were getting ready to leave. He had dumped that thing a dozen times, bottomed-out, washed out, and he was completely beat to shit. So as the saying goes, just because you can doesn't mean you should.

The reason I mention all this is that the strom designers are onto something here - the vast majority of the riders for this type of bike will never see anything tougher than a graded dirt road, and the bike will suit their needs just fine. And there are a lot of wannabe adv'rs that think they're gonna offroad their big adventure bikes. Most of us say, "yeah right".

Osborne Cabin, Panamint Valley CA, on my trusty husky.

browneye screwed with this post 12-12-2013 at 09:46 AM
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:13 AM   #1285
Dalmatino
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
These are my complaints about the big-4 bikes. I think yamaha does the best at least-cheap stuff, kawasaki about the worst. Like the cheap looking 7/8" bars on the new strom...why can't they put something decent on there?

They are built to a price point, so not everything is going to be hi-budget like the euros. This is hard to explain to a big-4 afficianado. Like trying to explain the difference between a mercedes and a nissan. Some will just never get it, more that just don't care, and even more that just don't want to pay for it.

But I do like the design attitude conveyed in the article above about boulder hopping and trail running with a 500lb motorbike. This pervades ADVrider - guys think they're all bad-ass and gonna mod the crap out of their big road bike so they can trail ride. Then they get out there and the thing is on it's side and hundreds if not thousands of dollars in damage. Then they have to pick it up. And there's also a chasm between opinions of what real 'offroad' means. Some of us long-time offroaders just chuckle. We actually had a rider die this year out across Mojave desert on a GS - after picking the pig up countless times, and running out of water, he got overheated, the medi-vac was called but it was too late. This is serious business guys. Don't get in over your head with the wrong kind of bike.

One of our favorite rides in Panamint/Death Valley to Osborne Cabin is a pretty rocky 'offroad' trail. It's a jeep road, but it's rough. Last year we had a poor guy on a wee ride up there with us. We must have waited an hour after we got there and he finally showed up as we were getting ready to leave. He had dumped that thing a dozen times, bottomed-out, washed out, and he was completely beat to shit. So as the saying goes, just because you can doesn't mean you should.

The reason I mention all this is that the strom designers on onto something here - the vast majority of the riders for this type of bike will never see anything tougher than a graded dirt road, and the bike will suit their needs just fine. And there are a lot of wannabe adv'rs that think they're gonna offroad their big adventure bikes. Most of us say, "yeah right".

Osborne Cabin, Panamint Valley CA, on my trusty husky.

Well said Browneye....
Dalmatino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:35 AM   #1286
MustMoto
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmann View Post
Is this you?

yes sir!
Old 12-12-2013, 09:43 AM   #1287
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalmatino View Post
Well said Browneye....
Thanks Dalmatino...

Regina, eh? Where my dad was born. They came to BC in the forties, he met mom at a dance near the border - she's american. When they married they lived in Vancouver a short time where I was born. But dad was tired of the steel foundry and mom was homesick so they moved to the states. Been here ever since. But I've got that damned BC birth certificate.

I grew up in the PNW. When I was a kid we would ride the trails in the woods where the Boeing 747 plant is now in Everett WA. About forty years ago.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:23 AM   #1288
svs
All Hands on Deck!

Oddometer: 24,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustMoto View Post
That would be me.

Nice write up...hope you healed well.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:47 AM   #1289
MustMoto
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by svs View Post
Nice write up...hope you healed well.
Thanks. Still healing, it was just last week that we rode the bike.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:56 AM   #1290
M0t0Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustMoto View Post
That would be me.

Do you think those Peg feelers could be removed and if so.....what would be the first thing to touch down, pegs, sidestand, or something else all together after removed? My 05 Vstrom 1k did not have peg feelers.
2000 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R
M0t0Rider is offline   Reply With Quote