Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2014, 01:58 PM   #1366
*thomas*
*thomas*

Oddometer: 170
Comming from someone who has never owned one, I think suzuki has done a fantastic job on the new V, period.

Nevertheless, a set of spoked wheels with tkc80's on them would make it even nicer .
*thomas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:58 PM   #1367
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Oddometer: 1,599
Just came back from DC show, looked at the 2014 V-Strom 1000... I have no words... I'm former Vee owner and loved my bike a lot but new one is not only ugly (it's not a pretty bike in the first place), it seems like all components picked up from different bike and our together with duct tape.. No shape, no form, no elegance, curves don't follow, no style... Hey, the clearance - I had Harley Ultra Road Something that was higher than that...

Lady at the podium was proud to introduce the clicking windshield that changed angle on the go - I have beach chair that does that...

Oh, it has some kinda valve on exhaust pipe with cables going somewhere... Really? In XXI century? Dude was saying it helps do something for smooth low speed control...

I was disappointed.. Really...

IBA#56676
Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:18 PM   #1368
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voluhzia View Post
Just came back from DC show, looked at the 2014 V-Strom 1000... I have no words... I'm former Vee owner and loved my bike a lot but new one is not only ugly (it's not a pretty bike in the first place), it seems like all components picked up from different bike and our together with duct tape.. No shape, no form, no elegance, curves don't follow, no style... Hey, the clearance - I had Harley Ultra Road Something that was higher than that...

Lady at the podium was proud to introduce the clicking windshield that changed angle on the go - I have beach chair that does that...

Oh, it has some kinda valve on exhaust pipe with cables going somewhere... Really? In XXI century? Dude was saying it helps do something for smooth low speed control...

I was disappointed.. Really...

I guess you won't be putting one on order then eh? Why don't you tell us how you really feel?
Old 01-13-2014, 08:29 PM   #1369
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,962
Quote:

Oh, it has some kinda valve on exhaust pipe with cables going somewhere... Really? In XXI century?
Would you prefer they mounted a motor and electronic actuators directly to a Red Hot exhaust pipe?
It is a proven system and has been installed on MC's since 1989 when YAMAHA started it with the Yamaha FZR1000 EXUP.

Ducati...MTS

Lotus Esprit

Triumph Daytona 675

Honda (HTEV) (H-VIX)

YAMAHA R1 (EXUP)

BMW

Suzuki's acronym is SET.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 01-13-2014 at 08:56 PM
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:39 PM   #1370
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 951
Not sure there ever was a lot of endearment built with his previous Strom. I could be wrong.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:39 AM   #1371
scott123007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
Not sure there ever was a lot of endearment built with his previous Strom. I could be wrong.
He's just cranky. He's stuck with a Tiger Explorer afterall.
scott123007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 05:07 AM   #1372
Voluhzia
iExplorer

I feel it would've been a good bike for below $10K

IBA#56676
Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer

Old 01-14-2014, 07:31 AM   #1373
Voluhzia
iExplorer

'07 Vee

Deals Gap, Tail of Dragon

Warloop Rd on TAT

Mississipi on TAT

Fort Bragg, artillery field

Commuter

BRP

Canada

So Vee2 is not even near the style of old one. Despite the electronics and gadgets and I know V-Stroms.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:40 AM   #1374
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,288
Quote:
Sorry you don't like the bike, but this criticism is stretching things, given that solenoid-controlled exhaust valves (which help flatten the torque curve) are relatively common these days on any number of current bikes including the latest models of the S1000RR, R1200GS, R1, GSXR1000, .... the list goes on and on.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:58 AM   #1375
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Why didn't they install one on the 2002 model or revised it later?

IBA#56676
Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer

Old 01-14-2014, 10:34 AM   #1376
Bolzen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
To me 2012 is the last true dl1000 V-Strom production year. What came after is just a profanation of well respected bike and brand.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:09 PM   #1377
lipsee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
Actually I wonder, why no manufacturer has made an ADV bike with a “boxed” or enclosed chain drive?? It has only a few small downsides: takes a bit more work to adjust it, and it could make changing tyres a bit harder (that however depends on the solution).

But on the other hand, it has more or less all the upsides: simplicity, weight (the box does not need to weight much at all), and durability fully comparable to a shaft drive (I mean the good ones, that you DON΄T need to work on too often!) Plus when it is inside a box, on oil bath and lubricated 100% all the time, it won΄t get dirty, and the need to even adjust it becomes very small. So regarding maintenance, it is almost like a well-working shaft drive.

Maybe it is a cost issue on a bike like the DL1000 (but I don΄t believe it would be on all current large-capacity allroad-bikes). Also maybe all buyers would not like the looks of it. But if I was looking for a bike to go RTW, this kind of solution would be in one word perfect for me, and I could not care less about its looks.

There used to be enclosed chains on bikes, but that was a long time ago. Maybe the manufacturers don΄t actually want the chains to last 40-60 thousand miles afterall, and the average user doesn΄t care, if they last 20 or 40 thousand. But on a real RTW-tourer, this would be the way to go.
I fitted an enclosed chain to my old XS650,and it worked a treat,I ,m sure some after market wiz should be able to knock up a case for this suzy no trouble,,,I remember Yamaha actually fitted cases as standard to the TR1 1000 V twin back eons ago...and all MZ,s came with cases fitted,, Regarding this new Suzy ,it looks kinda of crap around the bottom of the engine without that optional guard fitted...But I think it looks the best of the currant crop of big bore ADV bikes,,and I fancy a test ride ,,we shall see!!!
lipsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:12 PM   #1378
mountain36
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolzen View Post
To me 2012 is the last true dl1000 V-Strom production year. What came after is just a profanation of well respected bike and brand.
I have to agree with you. A 2014 with more torque, more power, less weight, better fuel economy, ABS, traction control, better ergonomics, easy ajustable windshield, more info on the dash board and better optional integrated side luggages, who would want that!
mountain36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:14 PM   #1379
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,180
This bike is gonna positively spank the old 1000.

To keep going about the looks is just girly to me. Don΄t like it, fine, don΄t buy it, and turn your head away every time you see one. Maybe buy a cruiser, some people think they look cool.
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:11 PM   #1380
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Could've been a good competition to Adventure bike market... I guess they, Suzuki, chose to build just a bike with bunch of contemporary shit. Reminds me Android phones...

IBA#56676
Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer