User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2011, 10:02 AM   #1
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 722
Build/Tat on a SL350 Honda? < a bike payment

So here's my screwy Scheme for this year... I want to Build an SL 350 Honda and ride on the Tat for less then a bike payment....

If you haven't followed any of my exploits ... well you've missed NOTHING... and I really do mean Nothing...... Doug is out there circling the world and riding the road of bones... and mere mortals like myself are sitting here in the "real" world being average.... Life still rocks... we just don't get to "roll" so much....

I'm into Cheap... and I mean CHEAP junk... stuff that most you folks would pitch in the trash or those of you well meaning souls would put in the recycling bin....... Oh hey and speaking of which... I'm riding home from Maxton NC one day and Damnest thing ya ever saw was sticking out of this here Trailer ........

A 500cc H1 Kawasaki Triple....

I'm going to close this for now and figure out where to store it later.... ( I'm sure the Mod's will aide me in finding a Home for it ).... it's going to be a minor league epic journey....
KeithTurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:14 AM   #2
Dirt Road Cowboy
Treasure Hunter

Oddometer: 385
If this is anywhere near as interesting as your Honda 550 story, I'm in!
66 CT200/Lifan 140 (Trail 90) Build Report
XR100 engine and misc. parts, waiting for the Mad Scientist treatment!
Dirt Road Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:44 AM   #3
red450
WEE-A-BOO

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Road Cowboy View Post
If this is anywhere near as interesting as your Honda 550 story, I'm in!
Same here!

red450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:04 PM   #4
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

So back to my story.... I'm riding home from Maxton and this dude has a Scooter sticking out of the back of this recycling trailer.... obviously on his way to the dump..... This is the view I see from my window at 35mph...

So I pull up and buy this thing for the ungodly sum of 35 bucks... ( he was going to sell it for around 20 and I Virtually doubled his daily take ).... here's the best I got of it.....

and then I handed him my card....and said.... Gee'z if'n you get some more trash like this .... well I'm a player at these Prices..........

So the next day he calls and says..... I gots me a 1970 Honda.... you want that???? "For $40 dollars".... boy's going up on my butt, what the hell... sure I'll come get her from you at the scrap yard.... who was PISSED at us being there...... so we didn't get any good pic's... but know it was one CLAPPED Out tank less, SL350 that had wheels sorta.... but not really... cause they were slam rusted out..... Some bad pic's to follow....

KeithTurk screwed with this post 06-03-2011 at 12:24 PM
Old 06-03-2011, 12:21 PM   #5
OldCoot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Good Luck With the SL350

I had a new one way back when... fun little bike. Hope you get it runnin' good for next to nothin'... please keep the pics comin' for OldCoots like me.

OldCoot's Blog: Blue Ridge Travel Guide

Interactive Google Maps: Best Blue Ridge Mountain Roads
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:33 PM   #6
JackB1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Dates. Times. Give me details. Lets get goin! Time's a wastin'
Bonneville 200mph Club, IBA #18825, previously diagnosed with Multiple Bike Disorder, yadda,yadda, yadda..
\www.2wheels4kids.com
JackB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:31 PM   #7
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

Okay guys and gals... ( checking is optional and often messy )... meet JackB1... he's not nimble nor is he quick... but he's Jack and he's not only riding a stink pot across the Country he's forgotten to take HP with him.... ( it's what you get for riding a 125 Wombat to Freaking Oregon...) He currently seems to be a willing participant in this fray....

Times are negotiable... but I'm thinking Early Nov. right after the Maxton season...maybe we even start from Maxton if your a weenie Jack....

Oh and since it's fairly far off in the distance.... I'm more then willing to challange any of the rest of you immates to a twist of the throttle on a dime.... ( Leave the damn dollars at home... )

The Challange is 2-4 days on the Trail across America ( Tat ).... on a motorcycle you have less then a Bike payment in..... Seriously.... BMW's need not apply... ( unless you can find one for free in your personal stock and your willing to put a claimer price on it of say.... a grand ).... I'm not saying we're going to let folks claim other folks bikes... but the point of the exercise is proving you don't need money to get off the couch....

Seriously.... I'm thinking a couple of days out from Telico Plains... nothing fancy or radical... Motels are fine by me and all Safety equipment like Tires are okay .... Shoot if it's cold you can even wear your aerostich stuff... but the Bike has to be CHEAP and built on a dime out scrap iron and junk...

We need some rules here.... I can see this getting stupid...

What say you and where should be move this thread to?
Old 06-03-2011, 03:16 PM   #8
Laconic
Gaulded

Oddometer: 15,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithTurk View Post
What say you and where should be move this thread to?
I don't know, but I'll subscribe so I can find it wherever it goes.

Laconic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:55 PM   #9
petefromberkeley
-

Oddometer: 3,286
I like this. Should be fun.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:44 PM   #10
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

Okay guys.... I want to define a bike Payment on a Dollar amount....

What do bikes cost these days if you don't pay cash???

You guys tell us what defines the Right price.... My Sl 350 has less then $100 bucks in it right now so i'm fairly sure I'm good if we go by something other then 1970 prices....

You tell us... how much can we spend on the bike ... less honest safety stuff like tires and tubes???

Keith
Old 06-03-2011, 05:55 PM   #11
Dirt Road Cowboy
Treasure Hunter

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithTurk View Post
Okay guys.... I want to define a bike Payment on a Dollar amount....

What do bikes cost these days if you don't pay cash???

You guys tell us what defines the Right price.... My Sl 350 has less then $100 bucks in it right now so i'm fairly sure I'm good if we go by something other then 1970 prices....

You tell us... how much can we spend on the bike ... less honest safety stuff like tires and tubes???

Keith
I don't really know. I'm cheap, and don't pay more than $1 per cc for a good running bike.
66 CT200/Lifan 140 (Trail 90) Build Report
XR100 engine and misc. parts, waiting for the Mad Scientist treatment!
Dirt Road Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:13 PM   #12
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

I'm a dollar a CC guy too.... anything more and you Way over spent.... Most of my 550's I paid less then .50 cents a CC for.... and they all went to Mexico.... so .. while I like the formula the down side is folks like "JackB1" might want to bring something like his girly Hodaka*.... and that being the case...well I'd give him the benifet of the doubt...... how much are the payments on a Harley for example? I'm assuming they won't be more then 500 dollars.... but over say 300 for the average bike.........

*( I'll grant him a change in status if it leaves the house on the way to Oregon... Don't even have to make it off the block... just the testicles to leave home on a 125 is good enough for me ).......
Old 07-29-2011, 04:05 AM   #13
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

This plan is firming up a bit..

So here's the challange.... can you find,buy, and build a bike... ride it for three days on all sorts of trails and roads.... for less then a Harley payment???? ( further defined as $384 dollars )
The Ride is going to start around Telico Plains Tenn./NC where ever that place is just south of the Dragon .... this place marks the trail head of the Trans America Trail... ( all dirt road across America )...
You can't bring your 11,000 dollar recently purchased BMW on this ride... you have to show on a bike you Honestly purchased and or built from scrap you have laying around... Yes you can finally get that trials bike out of the corner... but that sucker can't be worth more then 400 bucks.... I won't threaten you with loosing your bike to a claimer rule... but the rest of us will bad mouth and ridicule your ass to forever for being a little girl....
My Example of Motorcycle finery for this fiasco is a Slightly Used up 1970 SL 350 Honda with a Chinese Viva Front and rear end and some BSA B 50 parts on the side....
Willie's ride is a Gold wing someone gave him with a decent set of carb's off of his running Gold Wing... ( totally fair by the way... it's about doing it on NO money... not stupidity )....
Mike's Ride is a 100 dollar Hondamatic 400....
Bud's currently searching for a CHEAP motorcycle... reliable is good but not mandatory...
You only have $384 for the time you are there.... if you piss it all away on motorcycle you'll be camping while the rest of us book some dump for off season rates....
This could well be ahhhh Interesting...
What say you guys?
Old 05-07-2012, 06:49 PM   #14
LashLarue
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
$384 DS ride?

Bit late but since I am salvaging an old sl350 right now with a frozen engine and some 20 year old knobbies that cost a lot less than $384, where did the interest in this go? Did the ride ever happen?
LashLarue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:59 PM   #15
ShiftHead
the f is silent.

Oddometer: 256
Yeah, I only found it because of this reply. This still on? I love cheap bikes. A gang of crappy bikes sounds like fun to me!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
- Bigzoner #052 English Chapter "Keep Brotherhood Till Die!" - Nate & Dot Fan club
- The "Got Screwed" Newb
ShiftHead is offline   Reply With Quote