Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2012, 06:19 PM   #31
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,339
Build a GS rig. it will hold it's value and if you're going to put a lot of miles on it it's hard to beat the BMW for parts and service. Your 4 hours South of me. If you want to come and go for a sidecar ride and talk about them I am open.

VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:35 AM   #32
Melrone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 875
I n my oppion as others here I'd buy a used rig first to play & learn with. They're are plenty of used rigs out there..I have an 03 GSA/Ural, its my 3rd rig. Other 2 were Airhead rigs.Then if you really like it. Go for your dream..Ural rigs affordable and vrery cool..The GS rigs are great but spendy..Alot to think about....
Melrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:38 AM   #33
GypsyWriter OP
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,400
I tend to go all or nothing.

Sidecar rigs have always been so fascinating to me so I'm pretty sure I want one, and I really like the idea of hacking my Rallye. I've been in contact with Jay over at DMC and he recommends a newer model than my R100GS as the modifications would be much more intense vs a later model R1100-1200 to get it comfortable.

Right now we're on a cross country road trip so whatever I decide will be after that. I do know however that I really want to do some offroad adventures but am a total wuss. Mostly though I want to be able to bring my dog if I want, and/or take anybody else for a ride (like my nephew if I can ever convince my sister) who doesn't want to be atop a bike.

Last week, I went for a ride in a Ural. The dealership wouldn't let me drive it but I could tell it was a tad underpowered for what I want (daily driver that I can take off road after a highway ride). The driver gave me several tips on how to drive a hack but I'd love to take some actual formal training. I wish Red's northwest training school still did classes, I missed out by only a month. Still, I'm pretty sure I want to go this way.

Lots to think about...
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:15 PM   #34
tattoogunman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmweuro View Post
Build a GS rig. it will hold it's value and if you're going to put a lot of miles on it it's hard to beat the BMW for parts and service. Your 4 hours South of me. If you want to come and go for a sidecar ride and talk about them I am open.
*Snicker* Have you seen some of the prices people are trying to get for used older Ural rigs? You'd swear they are starting to appreciate in value instead of depreciating like certain other makes/models out there

There was actually a guy local to me selling a sweet late model low mileage GS rig for under $9K a week or so ago, it disappeared off of Craigslist pretty quick (within a week or so).
tattoogunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:44 PM   #35
AeroEngineer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by tattoogunman View Post

*Snicker* Have you seen some of the prices people are trying to get for used older Ural rigs? You'd swear they are starting to appreciate in value instead of depreciating like certain other makes/models out there

There was actually a guy local to me selling a sweet late model low mileage GS rig for under $9K a week or so ago, it disappeared off of Craigslist pretty quick (within a week or so).
When it comes to price appreciation, it's hard to beat a Chang:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=830177

2006 DR650 (???)
AeroEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:13 PM   #36
tattoogunman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroEngineer View Post
When it comes to price appreciation, it's hard to beat a Chang:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=830177

Yeah I saw that one
tattoogunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:33 PM   #37
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

I think this is still for sale http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...9587158&type=3

1000 miles on it with lots of spare parts. I think he would take $4500.00 for it.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:19 PM   #38
eastbloc
comprador bourgeois

Oddometer: 1,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmweuro View Post
I think this is still for sale http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...9587158&type=3

1000 miles on it with lots of spare parts. I think he would take $4500.00 for it.

That's still on the high side for an MT-11 which looks like it started its life as a kit bike. $3500 would perhaps be more apropos if it literally needed nothing and had very good cosmetics.
eastbloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:26 PM   #39
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

I think the seller is open if someone was to start throwing money at him.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:14 PM   #40
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,779
There are other sidecar classes out there. These guys come to mind http://evergreenmotorcycletraining.o...ecar-training/ They won't be as much fun as Vernon's (Red Menace) class was, but the Seattle area is a great place to spend a long weekend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyWriter View Post
Last week, I went for a ride in a Ural. The dealership wouldn't let me drive it but I could tell it was a tad underpowered for what I want (daily driver that I can take off road after a highway ride). The driver gave me several tips on how to drive a hack but I'd love to take some actual formal training. I wish Red's northwest training school still did classes, I missed out by only a month. Still, I'm pretty sure I want to go this way.

Lots to think about...
I want to keep this thread going, rather than start my own. This is a great discussion so far, but I'm still on the fence...kinda.

I agree that the Ural is ever so slightly underpowereded. It'll hit almost an acceptable speed, but won't hold it on a hill.
So I'm leaning, rather strongly, towards hacking a GS...but not necisarily my standard GS.
I'd love to hear about fuel range form somebody with a hacked standard R1200GS? I'm getting 200 now, so I'm guessing that would drop to the 120 - 140 range? I might need to trade for a GSA.
Thoughts?
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:06 AM   #41
Mr. G
Normal Dude

Oddometer: 1,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post

I'd love to hear about fuel range form somebody with a hacked standard R1200GS? I'm getting 200 now, so I'm guessing that would drop to the 120 - 140 range? I might need to trade for a GSA.
Thoughts?
Fuel mileage is obviously less than a 2 wheel bike. My Goldwing hack got 30 - 33 MPG. My Ural gets 32 - 34 MPG. It is very easy to carry additional fuel to increase range. My Ural carries 7 1/2 gallons between the main tank and the OEM gas can, enough for well over 200 miles. They have aux. tank kits for many bikes where you can carry and feed xtra gas without physically transferring it. Probably the same cost as adding a GSA tank to a GS and double the xtra capacity.

You will find with a hack that riding it is more of a workout than a 2 wheeler. Whereas I could easily go 250 miles without stopping on a 2 wheeler, I usually need a break after half that on a hack. The 125 mile range (before reserve) of my Ural and of my Goldwing (sold) seemed perfect for a break.

Then, while at WFO on my way up a dune, I understood. It was like the heavens opened up and I heard the voices of Angels.
Shortly afterward, I heard the voice of God. He said, and I quote, "Dumbass."
Mr. G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:03 AM   #42
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
There are other sidecar classes out there. These guys come to mind http://evergreenmotorcycletraining.o...ecar-training/ They won't be as much fun as Vernon's (Red Menace) class was, but the Seattle area is a great place to spend a long weekend.

I want to keep this thread going, rather than start my own. This is a great discussion so far, but I'm still on the fence...kinda.

Thoughts?
It all depends on how hard you push it and where you go. I started off on an R12GS hack and was perfectly happy with it...until traversing northern Ontario on a Sunday. My range per fill was 150-170, but in rural parts of the continent that's about how far apart the gas stations are. Sure, you can carry more fuel, but it's hard to find places to carry the extra 4 gallons you get with the GSA. Plus the enduro tranny is nice in hill country. So I bought a GSA and switched the hack from one bike to the other. Really happy with that decision!

On the other hand, there are a lot of bikes doing fairly long trips that have a 150 mile range. They plan ahead, tend not to pass gas stations, and do just fine.
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:51 AM   #43
CCjon
HighHorse Rider

Oddometer: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by tattoogunman View Post

TGM

That Dallas ad was flagged. The giveaway was the background was not Texas and the license plate was not Texas.
Have seen that same ad with same photos posted in other states CL at various prices.

A good-looking GS rig under $10 grand raises suspicions and questions.

Ride safe
CCjon

Ride to Alaska on a URAL Blog
http://uralinguccc.blogspot.com
CCjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:09 AM   #44
jaydmc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 905
We have a ready to go R1100GS rig for sale, very well equiped $13,000
The bike is in good working order with 115,000 miles. I purchased it from the original owner who was an airplane mechanic who took great care of it and never had it off road. The bike is very clean ready to ride anywhere.
I built this to be my own bike however it is for sale as I will be buying an R1250GS when they come out.
It has the folloing.
M72D sidecar,
Color matched black paint
Steering modifications.
Automotive rear wheel on bike and matching interchangable wheel on the sidecar.
Windshield
Tonneau cover
Carpet
Carpet in the trunk.
Power outlet BMW type
Power outlet Cig lighter type.
Winch
Electric trim
2 one gallon Roto Pax fuel canisters.
Rear heavy duty rack
Brembo disk brake on its own pedal
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
jaydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:10 AM   #45
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
It all depends on how hard you push it and where you go. I started off on an R12GS hack and was perfectly happy with it...until traversing northern Ontario on a Sunday. My range per fill was 150-170, but in rural parts of the continent that's about how far apart the gas stations are. Sure, you can carry more fuel, but it's hard to find places to carry the extra 4 gallons you get with the GSA. Plus the enduro tranny is nice in hill country. So I bought a GSA and switched the hack from one bike to the other. Really happy with that decision!

On the other hand, there are a lot of bikes doing fairly long trips that have a 150 mile range. They plan ahead, tend not to pass gas stations, and do just fine.
On my Ural Tourist I was more than willing to take a break when the stock tank needed topping off. On my GSA rig I am looking to take a break when it too needs topping off. The big difference is that my GSA holds over 8 gallons and now I'm going 270+ miles per tank!

Many of the Urals don't have windshields on the tubs or tugs which are a major source of wind resistance and gas mileage reduction.