Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2012, 10:48 AM   #46
Melrone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 852
I've got to agree with Boondox here.My 03 GSA has avery nice cruising range. Close to 9gal it does help.On the way to the MOA Nationals..I could of made it there on 2 tanks,but I filled more times than I really needed to do, I live 538 mi. away.I've seen both of Boondoxes rigs,the new one is really nice..Choose wisely my son..They aren't cheap to build..But worth it... Good Luck
Melrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:27 AM   #47
workerant
Spaß im Dreck

Oddometer: 1,879
I've got an R100GS hack but I've never ridden a Ural so I can't exactly do a taste test for you. My rig is a Sputnik car (The Tetanus Tub!) on a DMC frame. It's mostly used as a dogsled, but my dog is shy and just sleeps on the floor of the car.

I enjoy riding my outfit; I'm taking it to the Old's Cool campout this weekend in Tellico Plains, but it can be a handful. It requires a lot of upper body strength to steer (oh for a leading link front end) so I can't ride all day on the thing. Being a woman, upper body strength isn't exactly my long suit.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:56 PM   #48
jaydmc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 876
The front end on your R100 can be modified to lower the steering effort. There are many ways to do this on the R100, Leading link front end which is what we usualy do in house. Brock at side-effects www.sidecar.ca or Perry's sidecars in Texas also has a set up. The leading link is by far the most expensive.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
jaydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:19 PM   #49
drrider1
just running amuck

Oddometer: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyWriter View Post
Thanks for all the answers, I appreciate the insights!

Now I'm in a bit of a different pickle.

Earlier today, we snapped up an immaculate '88 R100GS, the black and yellow kind that I've been wanting for a long while. Being as I'm currently in a hacking mindset, the idea of adding a sidecar to the R100 has been thrown into the mix. I'm not discounting the Ural, but I like the idea of being able to comfortably go highway speeds if/when the need arises.

Jay, I've been doing some searching and did find a lot of threads about it. I just worry mainly whether I'll like riding a hacked vehicle. You gave me a very detailed response to my DMC email yesterday, now it's all up to me deciding which direction to go.

Tattoogunman, thanks for the links!! I'll definitely take a look around those sites too.
Hay: I got an idea why doncha trade the afrorementioned R100 gs for my uralthen you"ll have the best of both worlds?
drrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:30 PM   #50
GypsyWriter OP
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,380
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrider1 View Post
Hay: I got an idea why doncha trade the afrorementioned R100 gs for my uralthen you"ll have the best of both worlds?
Lol!! Nope, I think I'll be keeping that R100 as is, it's too pretty to hack up!!

I've been contemplating whether to go with the GS Rallye or a Sand GSA for the sidecar rig. I love the idea of the GSA tank size, but could also just get some Rotopax if I need more fuel. Plus, I've heard the GSA Enduro tranny is better suited for hauling a sidecar rig due to the taller gears (1st - 3rd), is that true? Would putting those gears in the GS gearbox make start-offs easier carrying the sidecar?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:09 PM   #51
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyWriter View Post
Lol!! Nope, I think I'll be keeping that R100 as is, it's too pretty to hack up!!

I've been contemplating whether to go with the GS Rallye or a Sand GSA for the sidecar rig. I love the idea of the GSA tank size, but could also just get some Rotopax if I need more fuel. Plus, I've heard the GSA Enduro tranny is better suited for hauling a sidecar rig due to the taller gears (1st - 3rd), is that true? Would putting those gears in the GS gearbox make start-offs easier carrying the sidecar?
LOWER 1st gear. Generally when talking about gearing, taller = faster, lower =slower
Old 10-21-2012, 09:01 AM   #52
BeemerChef
Wandering Homeless

Oddometer: 3,270
They are each a compromise, each for a different purpose. I have not read the whole thread but I am sure that has been already said.
For one that does it all the Ural is it. In my book "reverse" mainly has been a Life saver. 2WD is nice also. Using it though for what it designed for if you want it to last... not 70mph all day! Just cruise at a nice pace... mine is about 50-55mph. Lots of Photography and I can even talk to Spirit while we ride.
Or, of course, you can have both. Makes Life a bit complicated when full time on the road...

Ara and Spirit
BeemerChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:45 AM   #53
GypsyWriter OP
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,380
I have a feeling that the day I get my sidecar, my riding style will change dramatically. Obviously it must to some extent, but I'll probably be a tad more comfortable going off-road and will schedule my trips accordingly. I prefer back roads to the interstate but need the capability of highway speeds as that's what we live near.

Got my quotes from DMC for the Rallye rig on Friday, now to just sync our schedules and scramble together the funds. A bit harder to do from the near opposite side of the country (we're heading onto the Blue Ridge Parkway today ) but I'm super excited!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote