Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 02:08 AM   #1651
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post

A special tribute goes out to ClemKevin for tonight's evening meal of Piero's Especial Pequeño pizza with everything on it:

Muchas gracias amigo!
This is awesome dude! Gotta say, this is my favorite ride report of all time!
Old 02-12-2013, 05:45 AM   #1652
MikeS
For sure let's do it

Oddometer: 747
Quote:
Was watching the 2013 Dakar race movie on a sports channel in the morning getting pumped up for more mountain riding. The movie ended after a couple hours of super human riding by some of the motos. Those guys can fly.
Seeing those motos riders fly through polvo at mach 5, and having experienced it first hand, makes it all the more impressive. Have you seen much polvo in SA?

Enjoying your RR. Thanks for the time you are taking for this.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:34 AM   #1653
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,720
Quote:
And as far as being a hot area, I haven't got that vibe around here and I was 5 miles or so from Venezuela today.
I was wondering if you went around the South side of the National Park and passed through Tame? The situation like most places is very fluid, last year when I was in the area there were a bunch of people gathered up and killed from what I understood and it was not the place to be, instead I went up and over the top of El Cocuy NP skirting the Venezuela border without trouble passing Saravena and also finding the cheap smuggled VZ gas all along the way heading down to Arauca, VZ crossing. That crossing would be a good way getting out of Venezuela if you are making to make a big loop in the country and wanting to exit farther South along the western border, one of the easiest crossings in VZ that I passed.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:44 AM   #1654
Dracula
Deus ex machina

Oddometer: 990
Quote:
Continuing on around the corner the road turned into a 6 inch deep slurry of mud. I didn't want to put my feet down for a photo. Sorry. Just imagine a soupy mocha shake six inches deep and twelve feet wide for a mile. I couldn't see the bottom and there were no tracks since it was so soupy, so just let the Sherpa find it's way in the ruts under the surface. I was glad to get out alive without dumping the bike.

Here I am relaxing in the next pueblo at a little tienda after surviving the mocha shake boogy:

Trying to imagine. I guess your standing on pegs left/right balancing, lug the engine a bit and let the throttle hand do the rest. That part always seems easier described than done. I would have thoroughly tasted that mocha and caked myself in it for sure.
As always, reading the update was the highlight of my day.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:33 AM   #1655
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
Seeing those motos riders fly through polvo at mach 5, and having experienced it first hand, makes it all the more impressive. Have you seen much polvo in SA?

Enjoying your RR. Thanks for the time you are taking for this.
Hi MikeS,

Glad to have you along. And yes, watching those riders flying through that deep dust/sand looked almost superhuman. Haven't seen any polvo up here in Colombia. Mostly just gravel, dirt and mud on the backroads through these mountains.

There will be lots more pictures of the Sherpa on its side in deep dust if I make it down to the Altiplano and Atacama desert where the Dakar riders were.

Saludos,
Juan Polvo Vaulter
Old 02-12-2013, 07:48 AM   #1656
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
I was wondering if you went around the South side of the National Park and passed through Tame? The situation like most places is very fluid, last year when I was in the area there were a bunch of people gathered up and killed from what I understood and it was not the place to be, instead I went up and over the top of El Cocuy NP skirting the Venezuela border without trouble passing Saravena and also finding the cheap smuggled VZ gas all along the way heading down to Arauca, VZ crossing. That crossing would be a good way getting out of Venezuela if you are making to make a big loop in the country and wanting to exit farther South along the western border, one of the easiest crossings in VZ that I passed.
Hi TM,

I'm not sure where I went yesterday. I looked up Arauca Venezuela. Looks like plenty of roads to get lost on once in Colombia if I head back in Venezuela further south. At this point I am following the good weather and it is pointing to Venezuela or the northern beaches of Colombia this morning.

Might have to flip a coin.

Gracias amigo,
Juan Señor
Old 02-12-2013, 10:03 AM   #1657
BeachGuy
Alabama & Costa Rica

Oddometer: 469
Venezuela Exhange Rate change.

John this just came in on my Latin America news channel. I thought it might help you with your money change at the boarder when you cross. Things are obviously changing in Venezuela. Look as if you might get a better exchange rate if you push for it.

Venezuela has announced it is devaluing its currency in the hope of boosting economic growth.

Starting Wednesday, the fixed exchange rate will go from 4.30 bolivars to the dollar to 6.30.

Hope it works in your benefit.
2014 Ride Report: Ring of Ireland in 30 days
One of the beautiful things about riding solo is the quality of the social experience.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:05 AM   #1658
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
The Sherpa got mid 60's mpg usually, sometimes over 70 back when I had an odometer and could measure such things. With a 4 gallon XR650 tank bolted on I haven't hit reserve in the last 14,000 miles or so that I've traveled on this trip.

Saludos,
Juan Tenzing Norgay
!Ai, que Padre!
Wow! Some great back road Boon Dock explorations!
Sounds to me like you need a simple bicycle Odo computer thingy. I used one for years ... it finally broke after about 3 years.

Anyone have a spare Bicycle Odo computer to send down to John?

Just glue magnet onto brake disc, mount sensor to lower fork, run wire up to dash ... program in wheel size. Done. Dead nuts accurate, lots of features.

Most provide: MPH/KPH (to 120 mph), miles/kms, run time, clock, splits, separate re-setable trip meters and a few I've missed.

We just need to send it ahead of John ... somewhere along his route ...
(that last could be a problem! )
Old 02-12-2013, 11:25 AM   #1659
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
It would be way cheaper for him to just buy one down there. They'll be in any larger center in a bicycle store.

I'm not sure about S.A, but I noticed the wealthy people in larger centers in Mexico and Guatemala REALLY like their bicycles. Very popular. Their bikes stores had some pretty high end stuff.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Old 02-12-2013, 11:58 AM   #1660
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
It would be way cheaper for him to just buy one down there. They'll be in any larger center in a bicycle store.

I'm not sure about S.A, but I noticed the wealthy people in larger centers in Mexico and Guatemala REALLY like their bicycles. Very popular. Their bikes stores had some pretty high end stuff.
Yep, you're right. Probably something good around locally.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:00 PM   #1661
Keithert
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
Looks like a great trip! Looking forward to adventures on my XT225.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:02 PM   #1662
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithert View Post

I often thought a XT225 would be great for this. Six speed, decent suspension travel.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:50 PM   #1663
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachGuy View Post
John this just came in on my Latin America news channel. I thought it might help you with your money change at the boarder when you cross. Things are obviously changing in Venezuela. Look as if you might get a better exchange rate if you push for it.

Venezuela has announced it is devaluing its currency in the hope of boosting economic growth.

Starting Wednesday, the fixed exchange rate will go from 4.30 bolivars to the dollar to 6.30.

Hope it works in your benefit.
Hi Beachguy,

Thanks for the heads up. As it turns out I ended up on a road through the mountains in Colombia and will likely not enter Venezuela for a few days or so. I will keep my eyes open for devaluation news. I intend to buy black market Bolivars for C-notes as per SS in Vzla's advice.

I think this is good news. The black market might get better as a result. I will report back what I find. Venezuela is starting to sound like a minimalist's dream.

Muchas gracias amigo,
Juan Bolivar
Old 02-12-2013, 05:55 PM   #1664
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Yep, you're right. Probably something good around locally.
Hi Adv Grifter,

Thanks for your ideas. So far it hasn't been a problem not having a speedo/odo. If I start having to push the bike to the next gas station I might consider a bike speedo, but so far I have adapted. I hate to throw money into a 1000 dollar beat up used bike, so will probably just keep running it as is.

Muchas gracias amigo,
Juan Pobro
Old 02-12-2013, 06:01 PM   #1665
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithert View Post
Hi Keithert,

Xt225 is a great bike. Like the Sherpa it is like a motorized mountain bike. The key to touring on a minimal bike is to keep your gear to a minimum. Although Lois Price made it to Tierra del Fuego on the same bike, she was loaded for bear with a lot of stuff and paid the price with suspension probs. Light is right with these little bikes.

Saludos,
Juan no Pesado
Closed Thread