Oddometer: 1,531
Looks like a fine place to hang
Old 02-16-2013, 06:13 PM   #1712
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkam View Post
Bout time you started including the beautiful women on your epic journey.
I know, you want to be a gentleman and not intrude, maybe even a little shy like me.
Keep up the good job Juanito, this estupido gringo appreciates the effort.
Hi Jay,

I am getting bolder. I'll try to take more shots of beautiful women. I took this shot of Jean Pierre's wife and child:

and Jean Pierre got mad. So I have to be tactful.

Saludos,
Juan Papparazzi
Old 02-16-2013, 06:27 PM   #1713
jkam
Nomadic Man

Oddometer: 3,810
Stealth paparazzi is muy importante when in places with such beautiful women.
Practice hip shots, they make you less conspicuous.

Safe travels mi Hermano de adventura.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:31 PM   #1714
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 805gregg View Post
Looks like a fine place to hang
Hi 805gregg,

I would recommend anyone to stay at the Amber Hostel in Cartagena. It is quite nice. I have been hanging out with the backpackers. Here is Ulf from Germany:

and a nice man from France:

I forgot to ask his name before he went out bar hopping.

I felt bad taking a pic of Jean Pierre's wife. So to not feel too much like a douche I gave JP 20,000 pesos to go buy some pot. With the stipulation that I can take a pic when he gets back of what 10 bucks buys you in Cartagena. He was happy, so I feel better.

Stand by.......
Old 02-16-2013, 06:50 PM   #1715
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

So JP came back and this is what 10 bucks buys you in Cartagena:

It smelled pretty potent, but I'm no expert. JP says it will last him all week if he is careful. I guess it smokes like hash. So I feel better.

JDowns screwed with this post 02-16-2013 at 07:08 PM
Old 02-17-2013, 07:36 AM   #1716
TrevorHeath
Seattle to ??

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post

There are a lot of Renaults down here. There was a Renault factory in Medellin. I like these older classic mini station wagons called Master. Reminds me of mini cooper station wagons from the 60s:

Hasta Mañana,
Juan Cartagena
Do you remember the 1980's movie "Romancing the Stone" Michael Douglas, Kathleen Turner and Danny DeVito?

Movie was set but not filmed in Cartagena (the fort used is in Mazatlan, Mexico). DeVito drove one of those locally built Renault 4 station wagons which ended up floating down the river....
Old 02-17-2013, 08:09 AM   #1717
estebansos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Hola Esteban,

Excellent advice! As trespalacios says, that route sounds nice. It is raining in Medellin this week according to the weather forecast, so I think your idea of heading to Riohacha and up to Cabo de la Vela sounds fun. First I have to head to the lodo at the Volcan down the road. And I will look up Paraguachon to see where that is. Sounds good to me.

Oh and I have to go to Taganga as trespalacios and SS in Vzla have suggested. I appreciate all the excellent ideas.

I have to make it to Bogota now to thank you personally. But I don't really need the bicycle odometer. I have adapted to no speedo/odo.

Muchas gracias amigo,
Juanito
No need to thank friend. Just let us know how it goes. Also let us know if you need anything once in Bogota. Will be glad to help to arrange anything you might need from here. Safe riding!
Old 02-17-2013, 09:49 AM   #1718
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorHeath View Post
Do you remember the 1980's movie "Romancing the Stone" Michael Douglas, Kathleen Turner and Danny DeVito?

Movie was set but not filmed in Cartagena (the fort used is in Mazatlan, Mexico). DeVito drove one of those locally built Renault 4 station wagons which ended up floating down the river....
Hi TrevorHeath,

I was looking for those "Romancing the Stone" alligator pits while I was wandering around the Castillo out on the waterfront yesterday. Now I understand why I didn't see them.

And yes, I remember Danny Devito's little wagon that ended up floating down the river in that movie. Renault4 for sure. Although my favorite vehicle in that film was "my leetle burrrrro" that did the flying Dukes of Hazard stunts.

I am going to have to watch that movie again.

muchas gracias por las memorias,
Juan Recuerdos
Old 02-17-2013, 09:53 AM   #1719
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by estebansos View Post
No need to thank friend. Just let us know how it goes. Also let us know if you need anything once in Bogota. Will be glad to help to arrange anything you might need from here. Safe riding!
Once again the Colombianos never cease to amaze me. Anyone who has any hesitations about riding down here, just point them to this ride report. Great riding and super friendly locals. What's not to like?

Saludos,
Juanito
Old 02-17-2013, 11:25 AM   #1720
VooDooDaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Although my favorite vehicle in that film was "my leetle burrrrro" that did the flying Dukes of Hazard stunts.
I believe he called his little Ford Bronco, "Pepe"?

John, you mention quite often about how easy it is to just sit around and chill, and the locals have made it part of their lifestyle. Do you think it has anything to do with the fact there is no specific growing season there? What I mean is us gringos up north have to endure winter, and when the big thaw comes, everyone rushes around like mad to get the new crops in, growing, and then harvested on time; thus no or little time to chill?

I have no idea if my theory holds any H20, just making an oversimplified observation?
Old 02-17-2013, 01:05 PM   #1721
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Just a heads up that it appears your "capture the locals" pictures has your flash going off all the time. Make sure the flash is off for these special pictures. It may make for some blurry pictures but at least you won't get busted.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Old 02-17-2013, 01:12 PM   #1722
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
Just a heads up that it appears your "capture the locals" pictures has your flash going off all the time. Make sure the flash is off for these special pictures. It may make for some blurry pictures but at least you won't get busted.
Hi Shibby!

Thanks for the heads up. I am doing a google search to find out how to turn off the flash on my pawnshop Nikon Coolpix L18 right now.

Okay google was my friend;
http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/...L18_L16_en.pdf
and I have the flash off. Heading out for some candid shots of locals, pronto.

Saludos,
Juan Paparazzi

JDowns screwed with this post 02-17-2013 at 01:18 PM
Old 02-17-2013, 05:42 PM   #1723
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Hi VooDooDaddy,

You are right. Pepe was the name of the Bronco in Romancing the Stone.

Joan Wilder? THE Joan Wilder? I read your books!

That was a fun movie.

As far as sitting around and hanging out in Colombia or other Latin American countries it is just a cultural difference in where it is socially acceptable to hang out. In Nebraska it is fine to hang out in your house watching netflix for hours. But not okay to sit on the curb next to the gas station all day watching the world go by. And nobody would be caught dead sitting on the benches in front of the library or the courthouse for hours at a time, whereas here in Cartagena that is what everyone does.

In Nebraska it is okay to hang out with the old time ranchers in the local cafe from 7AM to 9AM drinking coffee, but at 9:01 everyone leaves and goes home. Why? It's just what is done. I think part of it has to do with climate. It is so hot down here in Cartagena during the day that it is nicer to sit in the shade outside in the offshore breeze than it is inside.

So in answer to your question, I don't think it has anything to do with no specific growing season but it is quite possible that the hot tropical weather has the effect of sending people outside to hang out as opposed to sitting in their casas watching TV. I think gringos rush around like mad because that is what is socially expected. Which is why it takes a while to adapt to a more relaxed Latin pace of life down south of the border.

Of course I could be wrong.

Saludos,
Juan Pasando el Rato
Old 02-17-2013, 05:57 PM   #1724
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,483
Climate does make a difference in peoples aditude and daily routine. If there is not much difference in the season why hustle to plant ?
In a freshman college ag class , one of the professors had spent time in Indonesia teaching the culture of tobacco. That's what the plan to help all the other cultures around the world rise up to the standard of liveing of the level of a small farmer in Kentucky. so, our tax money went to training others to take away our way of liveing, but, I'm not bitter.
Anyway he told of showing up at a farmer's place to check out the crop and the guy wasn't home. They waited and eventually the guy shows up. When pressed about missing their appointment he replied "te abala abala com bali baasok '. I'm sure my spelling is incorrect , but, this translates to , Makes no difference. Come back tomorrow.
And so it goes.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:29 PM   #1725
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Went down to the recommended restaurant down the street and had some beans, rice, plantains, liver and salad. It was quite good for 6500 pesos (3.73):

Sunday night street scene:

Not much going on Sunday evening. I have been asking people if they mind me taking pictures and alas the resounding answer is no. I am a failure as a paparazzi I am afraid.

It is important to remember that these pics don't come with sound. If you listen to this soundtrack while viewing these pics you'll get a good idea of what the street sounds are like walking down the back alleys of Cartagena:

As you may have guessed, I love Colombia!

Saludos,
Juan Salsa
johnthomasdowns.blogspot.com

JDowns screwed with this post 02-17-2013 at 09:03 PM
Closed Thread