Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 01:18 AM   #1741
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Watching the world go by..

When I grew up, I used to spend all summer vacations in a small village by Danube river in Romania at my grand parent's house. Weekend afternoons, mostly everyone there used to dress in their nicest clothes, and sit on the bench outside in front of their homes by the main road, talk with neighbors about life in general and watch "the world go by". It was a way of connecting and saying hello to each other and passing by folks. Almost everyone knew each other so they often stopped and talked about their life, work, and families. This is how local news was spread. They were farmers who got up at 4 AM and rode their horse pulled carts to the fields where they worked the land every day until late night. Or fishermen who went to the river for the catch of the day. It was a simple life. I still remember the heavenly smell and taste of freshly baked bread my grand mother used to bake in a wood fired clay oven. When I was returning to the big city for the rest of the year, I always felt isolated living in the apartment building where everyone rushed by going about their mundane city lives, people didn't take time to notice each other and kept it mostly to themselves. And now we have the Internet.
I read a book about Dacha culture in Russia recently; your anecdote reminds me of it.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:22 AM   #1742
Tyko99
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Hola Cal,

Colombia has changed. Get down here! A Spanish teacher from Bogota? What are you waiting for? Fantastic extended family? Colombia is calling. Your shekels will go far. Alberta is no place to spend the winter months. I think the smart money is on riding to Miami and air freighting your bike to Bogota. The sooner the better.

Saludos,
Juan Turista Advisor

Columbia may have changed in some ways but not in others:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/canadian...mbia-1.1119938

Be careful JD
Old 02-18-2013, 04:06 AM   #1743
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,407
Quote:
I have been asking people if they mind me taking pictures and alas the resounding answer is no. I am a failure as a paparazzi I am afraid.
Sending you one of these:

Right Angle Spy Lens
Old 02-18-2013, 05:59 AM   #1744
MikeS
For sure let's do it

Oddometer: 748
Quote:
I think the smart money is on riding to Miami and air freighting your bike to Bogota.
Nuestros Turista Advisor-

VERY interesting. Now how do I explore that option? My inerest is perked, a lot!

There's this thread, which is a little old: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=555514
Old 02-18-2013, 07:39 AM   #1745
estebansos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
Nuestros Turista Advisor-

VERY interesting. Now how do I explore that option? My inerest is perked, a lot!

There's this thread, which is a little old: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=555514
I dont really know where this came from but, shipping from MIA is just as expensive as shipping from PANAMA. (Air fright). About 1.200 USD per bike.

If you want cheaper options, ride to panama and ship your bike on those vessels that cross from the northern part of panama to cartagena (about 500 USD). We shipped on the stahlratte and flew to cartagena (COPA AIR 350 USD per person).

Rode from there. PM me with details so I can provide further info.

Safe travels.!
Old 02-18-2013, 07:45 AM   #1746
estebansos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyko99 View Post

Be careful JD
Columbia? Dont know where that is, but if you travel to ColOmbia keep it wise and dont start prospecting for gold or other treasured natural resources in the middle of a red zone in order to avoid being harmed.

Colombia has changed, but still, play safe and use common sense. Dont push your luck, not here, not anywhere.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:18 AM   #1747
Dracula
Deus ex machina

Oddometer: 1,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyko99 View Post

Be careful JD
Slippery subject.. May be related to local's feelings about mining companies changing their environment, giving nothing in return. Few ride reports here mention about those feelings in South America.
With every village he visited, John may have already passed their screening as not being an intruder with dubious intents and the rat Sherpa fits right in to prove it. But nothing is black or white or always makes sense.. The only way to be careful is probably avoid being in the wrong place at wrong time. And that's a bit too general to be helpful. Just sayin'
Old 02-18-2013, 10:54 AM   #1748
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,617
Re: pot pics

Take a picture of:

crucifix
bible
indigenous people
pyramid

even it all out and offend everyone

You are doing a grand job, keep on doing what you are doing. star star star star star
Old 02-18-2013, 11:04 AM   #1749
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,544
Quote:
... Two people gave me 1 star ratings and dropped me down to 4.79. WTH? ... I guess it was ... Sorry if I offended anyone. I am just trying to report what I find. Saludos, Juan Periodista
Quote:
... These things shouldn't bother me. But when you're 10,000 miles from anywhere sending postcards from the edge it seems to make a difference. ...
I appreciate your style and inclusiveness more than any other report I've had the pleasure to peruse! Please don't back off from the fascinating things most would shy away from. Siga siendo periodista con su bello humor único! Maybe get a "Prensa" sign attached to your Sherpa... You can please some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time.... well, you know the drill. I'm also trying to keep up with Ulyses but can't stay with either of you real-time.

Your love of all aspects Colombianos is resonating perfectly with mine of Ecuador - overwhelmingly positive!

Adelante,
su admirador Jorgito, el gringo arrepentido
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 02-18-2013, 11:12 AM   #1750
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,544
Originally Posted by JDowns
Not much going on Sunday evening. I have been asking people if they mind me taking pictures and alas the resounding answer is no. I am a failure as a paparazzi I am afraid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
I find the same troubles with taking pictures of people. Carry on with all else, however. Great journey.
I interpreted this to mean "no, they don't mind" (as paparazzi take pictures on the sly, hence the failure). I could have interpreted this incorrectly. In Ecuador, the only time pictures seemed to be discouraged was by the older indigenos; perhaps they subscribe to the theory of 'every time I click my Kodak pics, it steals a little bit of soul', but that's purely speculative on my part.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 02-18-2013, 05:48 PM   #1751
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,652
Finally hopped the Sherpa down the stairs of the Amber Hostel and onto the streets of Cartagena around noon today. Beautiful day:

I only scratched the surface. There is plenty to see and do in Cartagena. Yes it's touristy and a tad expensive. But I enjoyed my stay there. Boats in the harbor:

and miles of historic seawalls and battlements as you make your way out of town along the coast to the east:

Not far down the road was the turnoff to the Totumo mud volcano. It's not really a volcano. Rather a tall mud cone with wooden stairs going up one side and down the other:

It's maybe 40 feet tall or so. Once on top there is a mud pit where the slathering takes place. Didn't get any pics since I didn't want to trash the camera. Here is a slatheree coming down:

and down this road to the lake for a rinse:

It's one of those things that tourists should do once just for fun. There's not much else on the way to Baranquilla:

Desert like arid land meets the Carribean. The wind was whipping today, so I wasn't looking to camp. I did head down some of the side roads to beaches just to see what was there. A lot of vacation houses. I liked this round homemade three story one:

I think this was the beach down at San Veronica. I was always an Archie comic fan so had to see what Veronica had to offer. Pretty nice beach with kicked back restaurants. Hardly anyone on the beach since it is probably the off season. Plus it was really windy:

Plenty of places to camp out in the bush past Baranquilla:

But I kept going up to Santa Marta where I am staying this evening. Got into town late and checked an internet cafe for hostels and found a good looking one. It was full, so went down the street to the Nuevo Granada. He wanted 70,000 and finally came down to 50,000 (28.75). That's the price you pay for arriving late I guess. Santa Marta old town is pretty nice. Went for a stroll down on the malecon and bought some groceries. I'll take pics when it gets light out mañana.

I think I'll head over to Taganga beach tomorrow. It looks nice in the pictures. Actually Tayrona National Park looks good as well. 35,000 pesos entrance is like 18 bucks, so I might pay the price. No more than going to Chichen Itza. I need to do the research and development for when you get down here to see if it's worthwhile.

I spent 108,000 pesos (62.07) today on gas, food, entrance fees and lodging.

Hasta Mañana
Juan Caribe
johnthomasdowns.blogspot.com
Old 02-18-2013, 06:12 PM   #1752
trespalacios
Oh libertad

Oddometer: 688
If you're entering the tayrona park you can camp in there for a small fee IIRC. Might as well bring you're own food. There's plenty to see in the form of beaches, from pool-like bays to surfer' paradise. You'll see plenty of foreigners backpacking there. You could hike to Pueblito and explore the Sierra Nevada. Going around the Sierra you can actually do some riding.

Antioquia, tierra de mis amores
Some trail riding stories
Old 02-18-2013, 06:26 PM   #1753
Dracula
Deus ex machina

Oddometer: 1,009
Hi John,

Cartagena looks very picturesque, must be very nice to visit. And the beautiful pictures show splendid weather.
They probably built the hose round so no one can hide and talk around corners
Maybe you can keep the camera handy on a lanyard and snap some pictures while riding though perhaps is not easy in city traffic.
When I had my Gopro on helmet found way too much video was boring but caught some nice pieces as well. Someone else used a mount for their camera on the handlebar so they can snap pictures when interesting scenery came up, I think I'll try that my next trip.

Best,
Vic
Old 02-18-2013, 07:15 PM   #1754
GeneC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
I am so in...

Hi John,

I checked in with you a couple of weeks back (I think I was on page 15 at the time) and have been slowly reading every word, not just of you but this great supportive community. I'm getting back into bikes after doing the family thing (wife and three teenagers). Long story short, a few years back my son kept asking for a bike. There were many reasons I kept saying no. One is living in the NY area, there simply aren't a lot of places to ride (legally). But I think the main reason was I realized what a nut I was on mine and didn't want him to hurt himself (boy do I sound like my parents). My parents wanted nothing to do with me having a bike but they said if I used my own cash... Well that's all they had to say. Bought a used Honda xr75 when I was about 13 and then a bunch of bikes till I was in my early 20s. A good friend of mine was selling his sons crf80 for a good price so I said "sure". He was also selling his beat klx125 and said I should buy it and ride with him because I would be bored just watching my son. I bought both and it was frigin magic. I remembered how much I really loved it. Since then my son is now 17 and into cars, so we don't ride the bikes much, but its really rescinded my love for bikes. Since then I've owned a 2003 f650gs, then a 97 r100gs. Neither bike felt just right, so I'm planning on a vstrom 650 as my next attempt at finding the "right" bike. My longest trip to date is a week, but I can dream an you have to start somewhere :-)

As everyone has mentioned, your way of traveling is how I wish I could travel. I'm speaking of mental attitude here. Literally going with the flow and "dancing" with the "problems" as they come up. Truly an inspiration.

One more note: you keep mentioning how people are so kind. You also ,emotion how others have warned you about places being dangerous. I truly believe that you draw to you the energy you are putting out. If you are always looking for the good in people, then that is what your experience will be. If you are always thinking "somebody is going to do me wrong" then that is what you will draw to awards you. So, i guess you could say that everyone that travels the same path will have a completely different experience because of the state of mind they are in. And I think this is the secret to your success. Always seeing the good in people and always looking at what you can "give".

Look out for another meal and tank of gas in your pm.

Thank again John, will be checking in every day and thanks again for your story!

-gene
Old 02-18-2013, 10:13 PM   #1755
DeeJay Rider
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Please don't self censor and filter the reality of your experience to please a few narrow minded bigots. Your unbiased observations are what makes this one of the most entertaining and informative ride reports I've ever read.
I am in awe of your open minded level of Zen.

Keep it real, Juan! And stay safe.
Closed Thread