Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 07:41 PM   #1831
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
I was asked to explain that word once in Mexico City only to realize I couldn't. Aunque comes closest, I guess.

Picking up a 2009 WRR this Sunday then off to dirt school.

Apologies for the thread-jack John.
Hola JD,

WRR!!! I am so jealous. That is THE bike for Latin American travel. I'm getting one as soon as I wear out the Sherpa. That might take a while though.

Thread jack away when I'm off the grid. Somebody has to keep this ride report going.

Saludos,
Juan Yamaha
Old 02-27-2013, 07:48 PM   #1832
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 864
The Wind Journeys is an incredible film, I highly recommend it along with The Violin and Intimate Stories, both South American films. I always just go to the Latin American subgenre and watch movies from there.
Clem Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:53 PM   #1833
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Kevin View Post
The Wind Journeys is an incredible film, I highly recommend it along with The Violin and Intimate Stories, both South American films. I always just go to the Latin American subgenre and watch movies from there.
Hi Clem Kevin,

Thanks for the ideas. I'll check them out. It'll give me something to watch while I'm rustling up some letters of introduction to Venezuela.

Muchas gracias amigo,
Juan Falsificado
Old 02-27-2013, 08:12 PM   #1834
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRinCR View Post
I'm with you on this one.
You guys aren't showing that you've digested what I said. Yet can also be todavía. Aunque can also be even though. You have to abandon the idea that every word has an equivalent in the other language. For example, "it is".. To interpret / translate well, it is necessary to think at the idea level as opposed to the word level.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:21 PM   #1835
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,301
JD, this letter of introduction, what does that mean? You write a letter to them introducing yourself or what? At first I thought it meant someone in Venezuela had to give you a written invitation but that would be una carta de invitación not una carta de introducción... I've never heard of this, so I'm confused. I imagine many others are wondering what it's all about as well...
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:44 PM   #1836
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
You guys aren't showing that you've digested what I said. Yet can also be todavía. Aunque can also be even though. You have to abandon the idea that every word has an equivalent in the other language. For example, "it is".. To interpret / translate well, it is necessary to think at the idea level as opposed to the word level.
Todavia means "still" not "yet" and they are different. "Still" or "Todavia" means something that is continuing. "Yet," means that it will likely change, and very soon. Yes we have digested what you said, but it still doesnt completely fit. So, IMO, "yet" does not have an equivalent translation in Spanish. Just like you said, every word in English does not have an equivalent translation in Spanish. Hence my comment, "yet" try to translate that one into Spanish.

crashmaster screwed with this post 02-27-2013 at 08:51 PM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:50 PM   #1837
Dracula
Deus ex machina

Oddometer: 658
Quote:
You have to abandon the idea that every word has an equivalent in the other language. For example, "it is".. To interpret / translate well, it is necessary to think at the idea level as opposed to the word level.
Very true. One must think in a language to really understand and communicate using it. Language looses some or even all of it's message once mechanically translated.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:57 PM   #1838
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Kevin View Post
I pretty much watch films only in Spanish anymore to try to keep proficient. However its not working that great, because when I drink Scotch I start speaking pretty passable Portuguese.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:57 PM   #1839
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
Todavia means "still" not "yet" and they are different. "Still" or "Todavia" means something that is continuing. "Yet," means that it will likely change, and very soon. Yes we have digested what you said, but it still doesnt completely fit. So, IMO, "yet" does not have an equivalent translation in Spanish. Just like you said, every word in English does not have an equivalent translation in Spanish. Hence my comment, "yet" try to translate that one into Spanish.
Yet = ya.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:57 PM   #1840
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
Yet = ya.
ya="already" or "now" or sometimes could mean "soon" as in "ya vengo." Tal vez depende en el pais, no estoy seguro.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:01 PM   #1841
jimmex
Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
ya="already" or "now" or sometimes could mean "soon" as in "ya vengo" tal vez depende en el pais.
aleady/yet are basically the same in "ya". Damn all this Spanish is making me want to go riding....again...in Mexico of course.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:03 PM   #1842
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
aleady/yet are basically the same in "ya".
Negative. There is not a direct translation for "yet" IMHO. Fuck it, lets go ride Baja sometime dude!

The Colombiana told me so. I won't argue with her.

crashmaster screwed with this post 02-27-2013 at 09:38 PM
Old 02-27-2013, 09:06 PM   #1843
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

I'm sure that Juanito is highly entertained by all this bullshit drivel of us internet moto jockeys. He is the guy out doing the real shit. Damn Juan, its good to be where you are right now. I miss it, big time. Good on ya Juan!

Old 02-27-2013, 09:07 PM   #1844
jimmex
Rider

Con placer. Back to the Juanito show.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:19 PM   #1845
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,696
Quote:
Yes, you're right. Told my Guate amigo that it could be several words like todavia, aún or aunque. "Sin embargo" works, too. "Aunque" is what I encounter most in Mexico City. YMMV.

John, if you return this way come by and check out the WRR. I should have some performance mods done by then.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote