Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2013, 06:00 AM   #2011
Dracula
Deus ex machina

Oddometer: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post

Buenas dias, je suis muy encantada de vous voir mon amigo de Montreal.

Ciao,
Juan Linguafranca
.. add a bit Portuguese and we are in business - Esperanto!
Old 03-11-2013, 06:05 AM   #2012
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRinCR View Post
Juanito,

Loving every line of this still.

If this little plug fix works, fill us in on what the fix was. I may just do the same as a preemptive to the up and coming "winter" months.

Keep it coming!

Cheers
Hi Greg,

My fix involved weatherizing the spark plug cap on the Sherpa with the materials at hand following the instructions of a fellow Sherpa owner gibbo-56 in Ausrtalia who said it fixed his problem.

Difficult to describe in words, I'll take a picture the next time I have the tank off. Assuming this fix works. I am looking for intense rain storms to ride through. Since I fixed it, the weather has been beautiful.

Saludos,
Juanito

JDowns screwed with this post 03-11-2013 at 08:31 PM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:08 AM   #2013
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
Tell Al I said Hi, and tell em I said to give you a fickng discount! Pet Missy and Rocky as well. Man I love that place.
Hi Vince,

Al is more hands off and has a good crew running the place. I didn't actually meet Al. But I petted Missy the German Shepherd. Rocky wasn't around. And yes, Shamrock is a nice place to stay. You'll be back. It's only a matter of time.

Saludos,
Juanito
Old 03-11-2013, 07:15 AM   #2014
GRinCR
Oppressed Nomad

Oddometer: 320
Quote:
I'll take a picture the next time I have the tank off. Assuming this fix works.
Thanks compa.

Quote:
Since I fixed it, the weather has been beautiful.
Par for the course of life. Must mean it is fixed.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"My father taught me to work; he did not teach me to love it." -Abraham Lincoln
GRinCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:43 PM   #2015
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
I'll report back tomorrow. Might stay another day here. This hostel is really nice and quite cheap at 20,000 pesos ($11.11).

I spent around 125,000 pesos ($69.45) over the weekend on gas, caving, rafting and accommodation.
johnthomasdowns.blogspot.com
Still loving the report, really enjoyed reading about your ride in the mountains.

Something I've been wondering, and if this is too personal please don't answer. In contemplating a trip like yours, it would be nice to know if you had an estimate or budget for the whole trip? Is the money going faster than you expected or...?

Cheers!
Dave
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:21 PM   #2016
85suzuki
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
I too am loving this thread as there is still plenty of snow around here in Nova Scotia. How far are you planning on going?
85suzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:38 PM   #2017
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahFox View Post
Still loving the report, really enjoyed reading about your ride in the mountains.

Something I've been wondering, and if this is too personal please don't answer. In contemplating a trip like yours, it would be nice to know if you had an estimate or budget for the whole trip? Is the money going faster than you expected or...?

Cheers!
Dave
Hi Dave,

I saved 5000 dollars and took off last October. To be honest, I really didn't think I had a chance to make it to South America. But people here told me how to make a paypal account and people have been donating money for gas.

I would have had to bail when the Sherpa got smashed in La Miel, but I can't tell you how great the response has been when I am in trouble. By keeping a live ride report I have had the best ride of my life. And people have donated money at johnthomasdowns.blogspot.com to allow me to keep going for a couple more months.

Mind you, I am down to my last 1500 bucks so I don't know how long I can keep this up. But I don't care. I will ride this pony until I am flat broke and return to Nebraska and work my butt off so I can return sometime soon.

But after traveling for 5 months, I still think that Throttlemeister had it nailed when he told me to figure 1500 bucks a month if you travel frugally and stay in cheap hotels and eat in roadside stands and camp a fair amount.

There are always unexpected expenses on trips like this. For me it has been fairly easy, since my compadres on ADVrider have offered excellent advice on great roads and given me shelter and advice on fixing the Sherpa.

I can't tell you how great this ADVrider community is. So many kind people have helped me on this ride with great advice and assistance. It is by far the greatest ride of my life. I had so much fun this weekend with trululu96 and his parents who I met through ADVrider. What a great family! Colombians know how to have fun. And cranking and banking through the Colombian mountains is SO MUCH FUN!

So what was the question? On yeah, as far as contemplating a trip like this, just save some money, get on your bike and GOOOOO!!!!

That is the best advice I can give you.

Saludos,
Juan de la Piedra Peñol

JDowns screwed with this post 03-11-2013 at 05:08 PM
Old 03-11-2013, 06:07 PM   #2018
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

I am staying at Mi Casa Guatape Hostal:

at:

N 6º 13.175'
W 75º 10.961'

Got up this morning and had a great home cooked breakfast with coffee for 6000 pesos ($3.33):

Sean from England runs the place with his lovely Colombiana wife susy. Here is the morning chef susy:

And the hostel dog lulu:

The hostel is located at the base of El Peñon:

What looks like a GI painted on the monolith is actually the beginning of Guatape. The folks in Guatape were going to write their name on the monolith, but the people from El Peñol got upset and they stopped after the G and the first stroke of U.

more later….

JDowns screwed with this post 03-12-2013 at 09:33 AM
Old 03-11-2013, 06:39 PM   #2019
theturtleshead
Tits on a fish

Oddometer: 775
Shit

Saw your bike outside but missed you! If you're still up Guatape way at the weekend I'll come visit!
Al
theturtleshead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:09 PM   #2020
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theturtleshead View Post
Saw your bike outside but missed you! If you're still up Guatape way at the weekend I'll come visit!
Al
Hey Al,

You dog. The weekend is 6 days away. I'm coming back to the Shamrock tomorrow (tuesday). I LOVE Medellin. And your place rocks! Look forward to meeting you. I left my battery charger plugged into the wall up in room #1. Hopefully it's still around when I get back mañana.

Look forward to visiting with you amigo.

Saludos,
Juan sin Batterias
Old 03-11-2013, 07:37 PM   #2021
trespalacios
Oh libertad

Oddometer: 661
Several ways to go back to Medellin. La autopista (hwy 60), Las palmas (which I dare say was the preferred route getting out of Medellin, and Santa Elena, the one that suits you better . Santa Elena is NOT a divided highway like the others and has plenty of switchbacks. I think you'd like it though maybe the Medellin' combo should weigh in as the road is not for the faint of heart and it may not be in good shape. You could go through a couple towns off the highway. Here's my attempt at pasting a map.

View Larger Map

Only scratching the surface Juanito but doing a great job while at it

Antioquia, tierra de mis amores
Some trail riding stories

trespalacios screwed with this post 03-11-2013 at 07:51 PM
trespalacios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:11 PM   #2022
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trespalacios View Post
Several ways to go back to Medellin. La autopista (hwy 60), Las palmas (which I dare say was the preferred route getting out of Medellin, and Santa Elena, the one that suits you better . Santa Elena is NOT a divided highway like the others and has plenty of switchbacks. I think you'd like it though maybe the Medellin' combo should weigh in as the road is not for the faint of heart and it may not be in good shape. You could go through a couple towns off the highway. Here's my attempt at pasting a map.

View Larger Map

Only scratching the surface Juanito but doing a great job while at it
Hola Ricardo,

I will take the back roads. That looks like a great way to get back to Medellin. The Colombiana dueña here at the hosatal looked at your post and concurs. I wish I had enough money to stay here until Junio so I could meet you and ride with you and your Dad around Colombia. Your family is the best!

Tell your padre, I will drop by and say hola on my way out of town. The Trespalacios family es mejor!

Muchas gracias amigo,
Juan Colombiano

JDowns screwed with this post 03-11-2013 at 08:44 PM
Old 03-11-2013, 11:13 PM   #2023
rtwpaul
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,804
john sent you an email with a cool backroads and dirt route you'd enjoy with no other traffic unless you meet one of these on a blind corner....rtwpaul

rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:18 AM   #2024
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
john sent you an email with a cool backroads and dirt route you'd enjoy with no other traffic unless you meet one of these on a blind corner....rtwpaul

Hi Paul,

I've met plenty of those on blind corners.

Muchas gracias amigo,
Juan Lodo
Old 03-12-2013, 04:11 AM   #2025
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Walked up the road a couple kilometers to the entrance on El Peñon. Had to stop and talk to Enrique, my compadre de masonry. He was building a decorative sloped wall. You have to do these walls by eye since you can't use a level. It's an ugly design, but Enrique was doing a nice job technically. There's no accounting for taste when you're a masonry contractor. You do what the owner wants. Grey and school bus yellow stripes probably looked good on the designer's drawings. Sigh.

Anyway, Enrique was a nice guy who could work and talk at the same time. This Chiva bus drove by while I was chatting. Has to be from the 40's. Didn't recognize the grill. '46 Chevyish. Anyone know make and year? They keep these old trucks running in Colombia. I have seen some cherry trucks from the '50s and '60s.

Kept hiking up the entrance road:

Around the bend was El Peñon with the observation tower on top:

I got to the base and took this picture right as the batteries in the camera gave out:

Boy was I glad! All I had to do was double back a short way to a tienda and buy a couple AA's. I met Luis, Roberto and Henry. Mis tres nuevo (poco boracho) amigos Colombiano . (my three new slightly drunk Colombian friends):

Went back up to the entrance, paid the 10,000 peso entry fee (5.56) and started climbing stairs:

The staircase is built inside a giant crevice that goes all the way to the top. There are actually two staircases. The Subiendo (up):

is the outer staircase that has the stair number stenciled every 25 steps. Here I am at 150. Only 600 more to go:

Here is the view down to the parking lot and the surrounding lakes from a fifth of the way up:

The inner staircase is for people going down, it is tucked inside the crevice:

There are actually epiphytic bromeliads clinging to the sheer rock surface:

Halfway up there is an observation platform with a religious theme

Looking out half way up:

and looking down:

finally reached the top where there are places to buy sodas for double the price they were a couple thousand feet down:

At the top where it flattens out there is more vegetation clinging to the rock:

At the far corner, the guys that repaired the roof up here dumped all the old broken tile. I don't blame them. I wouldn't want to lug them down those stairs:

Views out to the surrounding lakes:

Headed up the three story winding staircase in the observation tower:

more later...

JDowns screwed with this post 03-12-2013 at 12:32 PM