Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2012, 01:59 PM   #196
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by NodnarbRS View Post
Sub'd!

I'm really looking forward to watching how this trip unfolds. Thanks so much for taking us along for the ride in this way!

I caught some type of Latin American fever...

You have also caused me to consider taking along a smaller steed. I've been planning on rustling up a KLR for the trip, but now I just don't know. A handsome 250 does seem like plenty of bike for me once out of the US.

¡Buen viaje, Señor Jaun!

Brandon
Hi Brandon,

Glad to have you along. I can see you on a 250 riding to El Salvador and back. I will do my best to send back suggestions I discover for how to travel as a young person on a tight budget through Latin America.

Best luck!
John Downs
Old 10-21-2012, 02:42 PM   #197
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

I'm back at Throttlemeister's place after a great weekend of riding and camping. My thanks to the Oklahoma ADVriders that organized and hosted the weekend. And Dirtdog who gave me a complimentary Zombie tee shirt that I will wear with pride to South America.

A few more pics before my camera fell in the mud and stopped working. Tomski suggested a pawn shop is a good place to go get another cheap digital camera for twenty bucks. I never would have thought of that. Good to know. I just need something that uses two rechargeable AA batteries. The old one I had was ancient so no big loss.

Anyway, there were big bikes at Zombie fest:

and little bikes:

Saturday breakfast in town:

Last night setting sun waiting for the meteor shower to show up:

Another nice campfire and the meteor shower showed up with shooting stars zipping across the sky in the wee hours of the morning. This morning it was time to bid farewell and head back to the barn.

Got some great ideas on roads to head to on my way to Texas. So will head down to the Talimena Scenic byway and maybe camp in the Ouachita mtns or somewhere down in southeast Oklahoma on my way to Dallas.

Best,
John Downs

JDowns screwed with this post 10-24-2012 at 09:13 AM
JDowns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:58 PM   #198
Newner
Buffering

Oddometer: 1,508
Hey John! It was good to meet you, I am glad you could hang out with us. Good luck on your trip!
Old 10-21-2012, 07:18 PM   #199
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,051
thanks for dropping in... Telimena is really worth visiting.
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:14 PM   #200
JumpJet
Looking for Alpha

Oddometer: 1,057
John, Great having you at Zombie Fest (Zombie Apocalypse Training Camp - ZATC).

Safe travels.
1) Stop trying to save the world
2) Eat more Bacon
JumpJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:03 AM   #201
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
thanks for dropping in... Telimena is really worth visiting.
Hi _cy_,
Thank you. That GS/PD is a sweet bike. Nice to put names to faces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpJet View Post
John, Great having you at Zombie Fest (Zombie Apocalypse Training Camp - ZATC).

Safe travels.
Hey JumpJet,
I'll get that name ZATC right next time. Hope to make it to SLAP next Spring. I'm partial to squealing pigs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newner View Post
Hey John! It was good to meet you, I am glad you could hang out with us. Good luck on your trip!
Hi Newner,
As co-champion of the ZATC this year, you're the man. Well okay, co-man. Co-man the barbarian has a nice ring to it. Didn't get a chance to say goodbye to your sis. Please thank Suzanne for me. That girl can cook a mean breakfast casserole.

Best,
John Downs
Old 10-22-2012, 07:14 AM   #202
lewismedlock

Oddometer: 12,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Hi Newner,
As co-champion of the ZATC this year, you're the man. Well okay, co-man. Co-man the barbarian has a nice ring to it. Didn't get a chance to say goodbye to your sis. Please thank Suzanne for me. That girl can cook a mean breakfast casserole.
I have photgraphic evidence that could break the tie....

I also have a big bruise on my shoulder from shooting so much.

It was nice to meet you Nebraska John. Enjoy your trip, I'll be following along.

Jay

lewismedlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:08 PM   #203
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Got up this morning and loaded the bike. I spent the night in the love shack over in Throttlemeister's shop. By the time I got over to the house the Meister was whipping up breakfast:

That man can wield a spatula! I miss his cooking already and I only left a few hours ago:

Better Homes & Gardens-Ozark Edition:

Headed back over to the Ozark National Forest in Arkansas. This could be the TAT for all I know:

This road started out paved and had an appealing sign at the top. Steep and dangerous curves next 10 miles. Eventually turned to gravel in a river valley:

And threw me out at the Devil's Den. This must be it:

Throw your thermarest on the stone ledge and this could be home. Only noon though, so too early to stop:

Nice stonework around here. Here is Our Lady of the Ozarks Shrine. Whoever did this work is long gone but he did a nice job on the Gothic arches. Hard to get right. Nice work:

It is cloudy this afternoon so the vista shots don't show the spectacular fall foliage down in this river valley.

Heading to the Talimena Scenic Byway down the road. Then find somewhere to camp out in the boonies. Should be nice.

Thanks again to Throttlemeister and all the Oklahoma ADVriders I met. Oklahoma is A-OK. And as Arnold would say, "I'll be back."

Reporting from the Alma Arkansas public library where its a lot faster uploading pictures than at home.

More later….

Best,
John Downs
Old 10-22-2012, 02:10 PM   #204
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewismedlock View Post
I have photgraphic evidence that could break the tie....

I also have a big bruise on my shoulder from shooting so much.

It was nice to meet you Nebraska John. Enjoy your trip, I'll be following along.

Jay
Hi Jay,

I wish I could shoot skeet like you can. I want you around when the Zombies come. Never did hear the story of lewismedlock.

Next time.

Best,
NebraskaJohn
Old 10-22-2012, 07:01 PM   #205
craftsmanjoc
In for the long haul

Oddometer: 21
Yee haa

Just curious. I'm planning a similar trip for this spring. Mind if I asked what you've budgeted per day for this trip.
Thanks
JC
craftsmanjoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:41 PM   #206
tomski74
Silesian American

Oddometer: 1,402
It was great meeting you Nebraska John
I will be following your amazing thread, anxiously waiting for pictures.

When you come back I will officially submit your candidature to Dos Equis as the next Most Interesting Man in the World.

tomski74 screwed with this post 10-23-2012 at 10:41 AM
tomski74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:27 PM   #207
Mark0474
Adventurist at heart

Oddometer: 91
Hi John

Safe journey and enjoy the adventure. Saw you weren't taking a stove. I have used one of these for a while and they are fantastic and easy to make.

http://www.jureystudio.com/pennystove/penny2.html

Have a fantastic time and you have loads of people following your journey.

Mark

Mark0474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:49 AM   #208
stitchergary
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
I just loved, loved, loved your last ride report and I'm expecting this one to be even better. Really like
the minimalist traveling style. Glad I caught this at the early stages of the adventure.
I know how much time it takes to do a ride report and appreciate your efforts. Wish I could give
you 10 stars. Hope you get the paypal going soon so I can put a few gallons of gas in your tank.
Gary
stitchergary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:23 AM   #209
jameswwright
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
This thread was the inspiration for me to finally sign up after lurking for a few months. I just did my MSF course last week and bought a Super Sherpa over the weekend and hope to do a trip like this within the next year. I'll definitely be following along with your report. Good Luck!
jameswwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:43 AM   #210
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsmanjoc View Post
Just curious. I'm planning a similar trip for this spring. Mind if I asked what you've budgeted per day for this trip.
Thanks
JC
Hi Jay,

I will report back what it costs. So far I have only been out a week but I have been spending less than previous trips since I have been camping or staying with fellow ADVriders and haven't had to spend anything on lodging.

I started out with 5000 bucks and I'm riding until the money runs out. So far I have been spending mostly on gas and food around 30 bucks a day if I ride 3-400 miles and 10 bucks a day if I stay put. But I spent 200 on a new RK chain, front and rear brake pads, oil filters for the road, and spare clutch cable. This is a one time expense since the last chain and sprocket went to Panama and back plus some and wasn't that worn. But I left early and decided to buy these things on the road. But you have these expenses on the road. Plus border crossing expenses. Crossing the Darien expense.

Throttlemeister is a pretty practical guy and camps alot and said he likes to have 1500 a month travel money. Then it's just a matter of how many months you can stay out. His friend rides very frugally and budgets 900/month. That is not much for gas, food and lodging. You have to travel like a monk on that budget.

Believe me, more is better. And you can spend a pile and stay in nice places and eat like a king if you can afford it.

Alas, I'm not rich and handsome like some of these lucky guys. I will gladly give a full disclosure of what I spend and how much money it takes to get as far as I get.

Best,
John Downs